[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Colorsand and re-clear? A quick "how to"

Colorsand and re-clear? A quick "how to"

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Re: Colorsand and re-clear? A quick "how to"

Postby Broman62 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Fantastic tut SD...that is one high gloss shine!!! The things we learn here are utterly amazing!!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:00 pm

That's as clear and concise as can be done, Dave. Thanks!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:07 pm

Yes sir, that covers it :)

Excellent. This goes in the garage.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Dodgefarmer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:29 pm

Dave, that's just drop dead gorgeous. Do I understand correct that all your coats are lacquer. (primer, paint and clear). The reason that I am asking is that so far I have destroyed 2 paint jobs now with Krylon crystal clear. (ended up with an awesome krinkle finish :? )

Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:58 pm

Nice shine! Thanks for the tutorial, Dave.

I've sometimes found that dry 0000 steel wool will give the same sanding effect as 1200-1500 wet sandpaper on a clear coat. I'm always looking to save weight, so I 000, then 0000 the body (instead of using primer), hit it with 3 light coats of paint de jour, 0000 again and decal then clear. My finishes aren't like what you show..............but they're light....................... Paint weighs, you know.......... ;)

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:09 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby scatman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:13 pm

A real beauty. Reminds me off my spit shines on my boots during my military career. :text-bravo:
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:00 pm

I've only been using Duplicolor for over 14 years - any will work (I do occasionally use Testors for certain colors) but find that I really like they way they lay on and the quick drying time.

Great tutorial, and one I need to do more of instead of rushing as much as I do LOL.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby CrockettNZ » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:35 pm

nice one Dave :text-goodpost:
I use pretty much the same process but use a 2000 grit for the final sand
I have mostly used Tamiya lacquer
have used some other brands as they are a lot cheaper but always end up going back to the Tamiya
CrockettNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:07 am

I haven't done any color sanding on any of my builds, but seeing results like that, I may just have to give it a whirl! WOW Dave - that is gorgeous!!!

On the paint, I am a BIG fan of the Duplicolor paints! I have tried others and while I have gotten some very good results with them, they haven't shown to be nearly as consistent as the Duplicolor products.
:)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Cincyslots » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Awesome!!

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:11 am

What is the difference between lacquer and enamel ?

I have been using Testors Model Master enamel for decades now and never had any issues, neither with drying, hardening nor gloss.

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:33 am

Thank you very much.

But smelling on my Testors enamel colours after having read your reply, I doubted a bit.

And I was right.

Here is a good explanation ( I know, I could have read it before I asked here, but I did it only now. Well... )

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enamel_paint

Even on the picture you see "oil based enamel".

I doubted because in my Testors "enamels" I definitely smell things that are not the typical ( color ) oil smell but solvents, just as being used elsewhere as well.

Regards,
Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:08 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Return to The Paint Booth