AAAUUUUGGGGHHH!!!!! (update)

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

AAAUUUUGGGGHHH!!!!! (update)

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Its never happened to me before, and although I have sympathized with others when this happened to them, its more frustrating than I ever dreamed in my worst nightmares of painting.

First coat- cured to a shade at least 5 times darker than I wanted.
Second coat, lighter paint- cured smooth and tight, and is the ugliest color since pig vomit.
Stripping- paint comes off fine, so does the glue, and the car is now disassembled at the bottom of the stripping tank.
Reassembly- bumped the alcohol tank, contaminated 91% spills all over the floor and up my nose (Oooo! My fingers are fing-ing...).
End of the 2 days of craziness- there it sits, waiting for tomorrow's re-spray of primer, and I am going to use a color I rejected the first time, choosing the too dark color that started all this garbage.

Where is that bourbon, anyway? It was here two days ago... maybe that's what went wrong?
Last edited by waaytoomuchintothis on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: AAAUUUUGGGGHHH!!!!!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:25 pm

Waiter, he will have what the man on the floor is having.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Ember » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Yup. Gotta love those days. They make you appreciate the very rare occasions when things actually go right.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby ListerStormGT » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:18 pm

We have all been there at one time or another Rob. I know that doesn't help but just know you are not alone. Now the more important question is, did you ever find that Bourbon?? :)
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:33 pm

Nah, I had to go fix stuff next door. Now I'm not in the mood. I may go shoot some primer on it to have a good start in the morning.

Let me just say what the great philosophers have said in these situations... Phooey!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby munter » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:06 pm

Great thread title.

I didn't really need to read further.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby frank9129 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:36 pm

I feel for you.
I tried to remove the paint from a Camero. I filled a pan with 91% and dropped the car in. The next day 1/4 of the 91% evaporated and the paint was stuck to the body. The next day 1/2 of the 91% was evaporated and the paint had not budged. I turn the car over to soak some more. Then I forgot about it. When I went back the 91% was totally evaporated and the paint was still on the car.
I am just having one of those months.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:31 pm

A buddy painted an SCX Cuda a few times and was never happy. He thought he put it in alcohol and it was acetone...the car was simply gone in the morning.

Sorry to hear that and hope the next round goes better. I actually find I paint better with Bourbon!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:10 pm

I thought I had found bottom until you gave me the image of acetone in a bath for a plastic body. For me, there would have been nothing left at all. I use old Carrera crystal cases for a bath/tank. Imagine setting a body up to soak overnight (I only soak them for 2 hours or so), and using acetone by mistake. I would go to the shop to rub the paint off and find nothing at all there!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby RazorJon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:57 pm

Rob, if it makes you feel any better I ruined the paint job on the Kurtis
Had a good coat of primer, body sanded, cleaned, had 4 coats of color on and the 5th coat cracked on me, just on the nose

must of picked my nose then the cars :laughing-rolling:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby ElSecundo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:13 am

I know that sound. It's the sound of agony! Ah, the frustration of not being able to find the bourbon!

Now, what's all this stuff about paint...?
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:56 am

I always thought that sound was when you went to the cupboard to grab your secret bottle of Crown Royal and found your stash is NOT in a secret location any more!

Yep, there is always someone that has had a worse experience than you have had. I do love the story about switching the acetone with the 91% isopropyl alcohol. That's a classic.

Waay, I do believe there are "frustration detectors" built into each and every rattle can of paint that is sold. It is there to detect how much we are counting on a paint job coming out looking good. Have you ever noticed it only seems to happen on special projects? You know those cars that we are just doing for giggles and grins are the ones that always have the great paint jobs? There is a reason for that!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I'm sure it is going to be spectacular.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:27 am

You figured that one out right. This is probably one of the most special projects I've done. Especially because its a gift. Nothing ever happens to cars I can hide in the cupboard, nooo, it has to be one that is going to live at someone else's house!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Okay, the body is now reprimed and repainted, wet sanding and clearcoat tomorrow. It is still a stinging disappointment that the color is not what I wanted. But I am running out of time to get this finished. I did manage a three color wheel for this thing, and even in 1/25th, that is tough. I also had to sand out the inner rib of some scale tires for the first time. It worked, but I was nervous. When this thing is in the mail, I will post a detailed history of this build, just because it is special, but it is increasingly a history of frustrating events, it seems!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: AAAUUUUGGGGHHH!!!!! (update)

Postby dreinecke » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:17 pm

Glad you've recovered. And, it is always Murphy's Law when doing something nice for others.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Next

Return to The Paint Booth