Dupli-Color?

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Dupli-Color?

Postby GFG 3 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:14 am

2 years ago I painted my first car, I swore never again, never say never.
I just finished painting my second car, I read everything I could find, stripped the car, prepped the body, brought the car and paint into the house over nite, warmed the shop and painted, lite coats, shaking the can repeatedly. On the last coat it looked great, no drips, consistent color all the way around, and a nice even shiny gloss, no orange peel. Then it dried, the pearl color is great, but there is no shine, it is almost a flat finish, I even repainted resulting in less shine.
I really want to know what did wrong, is there a way to fix it?
Could I use a can of clear coat to save this, if so, any suggestions?

George
GFG 3

Re: Dupli-Color?

Postby btaylor » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:29 am

George,i am no painter by any means!, but i have had the same thing happen to me.The clear coat saved most of mine ,and brought back the gloss. But i experimented on one that was flattening out as it dried right in front of me!. I used a heat gun (hair dryer) set on low and from a distance that i thought was safe, it brought the shine back up and stayed there.
it was enamel paint.
If Shotgun Dave reads this he will be able to hook you up im sure,as he is one heck of a painter!and knows the tricks.
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:47 am

Someday I'll tell the tale of the very difficult paint job I did and was very proud of, only to fall victim to a crazy circumstance where the dullcoat cap was on my gloss can, and vice-versa. I put the thinnest, evenest, prettiest topcoat on and sat and watched as it turned completely ash dull. If you spit on it, it still wouldn't shine. I think I may have spit on it. I got some 10,000 grit and got the windows to shine, then Future saved the rest of the car. Guess who writes "gloss" and "dullcoat" in big black letters on his spray cans now?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby SRQSloter » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:30 pm

I see Dupli-Color. If it is lacquer base coat. And if you bought Dupli-Color Perfect Match it will be dull. You will have to clear coat it. If it blushed it will have a white milky haze to it.
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:39 pm

Remember gents, base coat (typically not so shiny) then clear coat to add that shine!

Dupli color for me every time!!!!

Just like when these colors are applied coming down the paint line of an automotive production line......

If it is milky looking that tells me you either sprayed it with the temperature too cold or the humidity was too high trapping moisture in the base coat.

Typically a cloudy clear coat is trapped moisture in the clear coat from being applied on a very humid day.

A lot of these base coats are not real shiny though until you top coat them with a clear coat.

:D :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:31 pm

Is it true , that on the dupli color cans , there is some kind of code which indicates if the paint chosen requires a clear coat after. Or is that all donkey dollop.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby DixonJohn » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Read the can!!! It will tell you if it needs clear or not. most all the perfect match from Duplicolor needs a clear to gloss up. Theier other lines are again a READ THE CAN.They are different formulas. Duplicolor is all I spray anymore as far as rattle cans go.`It's good paint at a decent price
DixonJohn
"The Mayor"

Postby BRP32 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Thanks Dixon John for your support of Dupli-color!

I work for the company that owns and produces that brand of paint.

Unfortunately I don't work in the division that produces it.

Wayne (Bolton's Speed Shop) :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GFG 3 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:14 am

Thanks for all the help.
The color isn't milky, although it does have a pearl luster.
I did read a can, just not sure it was the can I bought.
I am going to do a clear coat, after I do the numbers, and some details.
GFG 3

Postby Ecbill » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:54 pm

It's been a while since I used Dipli-color but it used to be acrilic lacquer, which does not dry shiny. On full size cars, its intended to be sprayed on and polished to a shine. Rubbing compound and polish would bring a nice shine. A good clear coat should do the same.
Ecbill
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:51 am

I use acrylic lacquer on many of the pieces of furniture I build, and it is glossy because I order gloss. You can also get semigloss, satin, flat, and hand rubbed effect, which is a very thin, very hard single coat that is between satin and semigloss, but it goes deep into the grain of the wood. Gorgeous on red oak. The point is, acrylic lacquers come in hundreds of formulas, including every level of gloss or flatness.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:33 am

I only use Dupli-Color (Didn't know you worked for the parent Co. Wayne!) paints on my builds. I've seen the "blush" effect with the color coats before. To combat the occasional occurrence of this, I simply polish it out and then clear coat with Dupli-Color Clear. Depending on my mood and how happy I am with the paint job over all determines if I wax it after that. I usually do and it does make a difference.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby BRP32 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:17 am

Hey David!

Yep, I work for Shrewin-Williams as a heavy industrial paint applicator in the Protective Marine Research and Development Division. Sherwin -Williams owns the Duplicolor brand. So each time you buy a can of paint my stock share goes up a little bit! :D I work directly with the chemists during product development developing new paint application methods for our heavy industrial products. I do a lot of customer and employee training also. Quite busy most of the time with the new products. Unfortunately I have been on disability due to my surgery currently but I should be right back at it sometime in the near future I would like to think?

I started working out of my Dad's garage with him and my Uncle at a young age working on their race cars and restoring muscle cars with them. I spent a lot of time in my early years at the many drag strips around the area every weekend in the pits. Norwalk (Summit Raceway Park) Dragway 42, Thompson Drag Raceway to name a few. My Uncle ran a Super Stock Dodge back then with a Hemi. By the time I was a teenager I was painting cars out of our garage building muscle cars and street rods. I basically turned my passion for painting into my career. I tell everyone I am one of the lucky ones who gets to do what they enjoy. Plus I hone my skills at work so I perfect my skills on my cars in the hobby!

Didn't mean to high jack the thread but just trying to help with the paint side of things if and when I can.....

Wayne :D :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:52 am

Hey, Wayne, the lacquer I use most often is your pre-catalyzed lacquer in the 5 gallon cans. Great stuff. If they ever stop making it, I'm screwed.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby BRP32 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:08 am

The lacquers are so easy to work with.

Once the solvent flashes out of them your good to go.

Need to strip them off just strip with the solvent it was reduced with.

More and more the Automotive products are going to the new water based technologies.

I'm not fond of the water based products.

I like solvent based better.

The two part base coat/clear coat enamels are great but a B!t$# to strip back off though once applied.
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Paint Booth