WELL, WE'VE DUG OUT OF THE DEEP STUFF, BUT...

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

WELL, WE'VE DUG OUT OF THE DEEP STUFF, BUT...

Postby BIG E » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:42 pm

There's still lots of frozen snow piled high all over Long Island, and as I'm typing we're enduring a freezing rain/snow mix that's supposed to last into tomorrow morning, making the cleared dry roads a hockey rink once more. Guess I'm not racing again tonight! My 1/24 Reality Modified has been sitting in it's wooden garage since the last trip to victory lane at Tony's Small Torque Motor Speedway. Doubt if I'll chance driving up to the north shore for FCR Hardbody road racing at the big commercial track (Slots-A-Lot Raceway) tomorrow night, either. That's three weeks now with no large scale racing because of this crappy weather deal. Been able to get in some HO slotting locally, just to have some fun and keep the throttle finger lubricated. I know I can trust my own foul weather driving (stay OFF those twisty parkways!), but it's the other "gotta get there now" drivers around this area who refuse to slow down -- the kind I had to deal with on a daily basis for years as a commercial driver on the Island. I can look out the window and watch them sliding through the 4-way stop signs at the corner of my own street!
At least the local roads were clear on Super Bowl Sunday, as the annual slot car show was packed with 60 vendor tables and close to 400 people once again. Always lots of fun seeing everyone again. I came home with a few goodies for myself, and had a good sales day at my usual vendor booth set up, too!
It's all good though, I'm sitting here packing up model car parts for the 27th annual MASSCAR model car show March 15, and for my first time as a vendor at the VALLEYCON 25 model show March 29, both in Massachusetts.
Maybe I'll see ya there, that MASSCAR one is really cool for car guys. Keep warm and enjoy the hobby! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: WELL, WE'VE DUG OUT OF THE DEEP STUFF, BUT...

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:15 pm

Hang in there,spring is right around the corner 8-) .
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:40 pm

BIG E, after being away from modeling for decades, I think I'll check out the VALLEYCONN 25 show. The last time I set foot in that Knights of Columbus, where it's being held, was 42 years ago.....For our wedding reception. And YES after 42 years we're still married. She says it's been the best 20 years of her life!
sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:07 pm

That's awesome! Be sure to come by and say hello.
There will be signs on the shelves saying "Ernie's Model Auto Parts".
Thanks... Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:15 am

Another foot of the white stuff I had to remove by hand yesterday (mostly drifted up from about 7-8" snowfall), and another race night gone by the wayside. It's starting to get old, this winter weather crap. I used to love when the snow flies, I would go straight downstairs and start cutting laps on whatever type of track I had set up at the time. Unfortunately, there is no room for a home track at the present time. I know it's not like I live in Minnesota or any place like that, but travel gets bad quickly around here with all the population concentration we've got in this area. They're not the greatest at snow removal here on the Island, but they try their best! Supposed to get some more rain/snow mix through the night starting early this evening. Hoping to make my FCR hardbody club tonight at Slots-A-Lot Raceway, I love racin' those cars on the big 8 lane commercial tracks! Stay warm, racers... Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:13 pm

I have only gotten about two feet of snow in all at my place here in Connecticut, but people just a few miles away have gotten two or three times that amount. It has remained very cold here since the beginning of January, so nothing has melted. Normally we get a little melting between storms. Both my HO and 1/32nd clubs have had to cancel races, we have gone for years without having to do that. For a lot of people parking has been a problem, my street is only a car width wide. Now two more storms are on the way, it is a good thing that Spring is only weeks away. I think I'll go looking for my sunblock!
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:46 pm

I hate doing this to you guys, but we had one snowfall over one night in November and not a flake since.

It was a beautiful day here in Vancouver. The sky was clear and as I was driving home, I got a striking view of Mount Baker, down in Washington, with its snowcapped cone tinted pink by the setting sun.

We have cherry, forsythia and magnolia blossoms coming out on the trees as well as crocuses, tulips and daffodils in the gardens.

You've gotta just love global warming, eh?

Keith
Last edited by Retro Racer 44 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Shoveled a few more inches off tonight and watch the ice skaters drive home...
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby chappy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:23 pm

We're currently getting another 5 inches of snow, ice pellets and as the temp goes up freezing rain.
So far a lot of Toronto is enduring power outages, but so far out east we are still powered up.
Driving today was basically a white out, with the southwest winds.
So yesterday minus 19c, tonight supposed to hit plus 2.
Crazy winter or what.
Stay warm
Bob C
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby FootScoot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:52 am

Yesterday it was rain to begin with, then freezing rain with a little sleet mixed in, then all snow. We have 8 more inches on the ground now. Now it supposed to warm up this weekend, and will be in the 50's next week. It's just nuts. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby BIG E » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:28 pm

Back from MASSCAR in New England, and all the snow on Long Island is pretty much gone... just in time for the 6 in. they're predicting for tomorrow afternoon!!!
Good news is that the model car show was very successful (and FUN) for me, and there WILL be an event March 20, 2016!
Same vendor set up (pretty big), with a revised (read: much simpler) exhibit/trophy deal. Looking forward already.
Ughh, but will this snow ever end... Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:51 am

Another 5 or 6 inches fell Friday night thru Saturday morning. But thanks to the milder temps we've been having, it's all melted and gone as I'm typing this! Really hopin' this is gonna be the end of it, but somehow, I just don't know... :>)
I'm headed to "VALLEYCON 25", the Wings and Wheels model club's annual show in Chicopee, MA this Sunday 3/29. Gonna set up the "ERNIE'S MODEL AUTO PARTS" vendor booth, my first time at this event. Looking forward to a good weekend visit. -- Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jcis4me » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:13 am

I hear ya Ernie!
It started here in Lakehurst at 9 am and did not stop until 9 at night!!! and as I type this the snow is almost gone! I guess it is because it is almost 40 at 10 o clock!!!
Looks like some lap time installation today!!!
Marty
jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge