[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Where is it going? (kind of long)

Where is it going? (kind of long)

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Where is it going? (kind of long)

Postby Czar » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:23 am

I got into a conversation recently with a repairman who came to the house. Of course he saw my track, and of course I convinced him to slow down a little and give the wee cars a try. Of course he loved it, brought back a lot of good memories, the cars were cool, and you could change lanes! He mentioned that my grandchildren must have a ball racing. Sadly, I said they really weren't interested in slots, they would rather play with their tablets and other video games. Nathan (12) says he would rather race the fantasies of customizing his car and racing with a game because it is faster and you are never restricted to the same thing, unless you choose to. And why should you with so many options at your fingertips? Jenna (11) just isn't that much into cars, but likes a challenge so she will flog the cars once in a while, but it certainly isn't on her radar.

So, what is a strategy that seems to make a lot of sense for turning the youngsters of today into slotsters of tomorrow? But, the big caveat is: there won't/can't be slots in the future! Even now, all the R & D is going into making the slot less confining and restrictive. So the slot is history and slot racing as we know it will fade and die. Having just gone over to the digital side, I can say that having to think in a different way, and plan a strategy based on lane changing and driving skill, has reignited my enthusiasm for slot racing.

Maybe a glimpse into where the future is going is with something like the second (third, fourth, etc.) generation of Anki Drive. Maybe in the future you could even print out your own bodies and track pieces with cheap 3D printers, trackside. There is no reason Paul Gage couldn't make tires for these machines; even existing after-market upgrades (wheels, bearings, etc.) could be adapted to improve performance. Anyhow, I found this video quite interesting.

http://www.slotcar-today.com/en/notices ... e-4523.php
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Where is it going? (kind of long)

Postby loosewheel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:09 am

Young people aren't interested in slot cars because they play games using only their thumbs and the A I does all the hard stuff (like thinking). :o

Kind of harsh I know.
loosewheel
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:42 am

As a long-time wood track guy, with a history of TJets back to 1962, the different way of thinking to run digital is my objection to it. I still think it is a fad and will never come close to making real home tracks fade away. I couldn't be less interested in slot cars that change lanes, just as I wasn't interested in it 35 years ago when that kind of thing first surfaced. It has come and gone many times over the years, and I just don't care for it.

Meanwhile, I see a much longer future for slot cars as we know them, since more and more people are building chassis and bodies on their own. Its the best possible outcome from the chaos European manufacturers went through that killed some of them, greatly diminished others. But, regardless, the truth is, "ebb and flow" is the way of the universe. The pendulum always swings back.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby goosenapper » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:10 am

goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:07 am

What's funny is my Grandkids, ages 3 through 9. My wife got them a computer to play with and a RC car but they would rather go out to Manwan (my cave) and race the slotcars. The greatest thrill for them is beating Grandpa in a race.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:43 am

"If I had to work the throttle and worry about getting the best line by steering around the track without a solid point of reference aside from a long-distance view of the course, it would be too damn hard"

That is a very good point, Something like that was rolling around in the back of my head, but I just couldn't put it into words. So, maybe slots will stay, but the "slots" will be wider with more options for lane change.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cjent » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:31 am

5 of my 6 grandkids love D143 racing. Especially modified to allow 6 cars!
Cjent
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mayberryman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:34 pm

I always love the conversations about slot cars and their future or lack of such. I am a firm believer that Commercial Tracks in this country are on their last legs with about 150 current with many of them piggy backing off of another business that means about three per state and dwindling. Home and club based racing, on the other hand, is a hobby that will be there as long as people love the sport of car racing and wish to live out the dream in their basements, attics and garages. This past weekend I attended a NATIONAL CONVENTION of a hobby that makes slot racing seem like main stream. This week in Richmond the National Electric Football Convention was held near Richmond International Airport in several conference rooms. People from Texas to Florida were in attendance and the competition, trash talking and genuine love shown by most competitors was amazing. This hobby exists today with just one fairly large manufacture as Miggle was sold and the new owners have returned to the name Tudor to draw on past glory. So, next time you think about slot racing going away just think of the over aged, grown men who continue to keep a sport alive that still uses basic late 1940s technology going and yes these men can produce players complete with custom paint, decals, face mask and chin straps and they can tweak the bases to make each player run in the direction they wish them to run.
Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge