[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - I have a problem according to my Wife

I have a problem according to my Wife

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

I have a problem according to my Wife

Postby ccobra » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:55 pm

She calls me an expensive cheapskate! Can you believe it? Image
I had purchased one of the Ninco Pinion Press tools which I really liked and didn't want to part ways with. The threads got a little worn to the point I couldn't hold everything aligned and turn the screw at the same time. So since SCC was out of stock on these, I just went and got some heli-coil thread inserts and repaired ol'faithful. That's when the wife stepped in and asked why don't I just but a new one, which I replied 'they were sold out and my second choice was one that would cost $54'. That's when she read the riot act to me for spending $40 dollars for the heli-coil kit plus the original price for the Ninco too. Like Rodney Dangerfield used to say,' I just don't get any respect'.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: I have a problem according to my Wife

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:17 pm

Oh yes, the infamous NINCOmpoop press. Many of us have been right where you are, minus the helicoil fix as I simply placed mine into a new "bin" :)

Whatever you do, don't order the Slot.it version. If you do, you will ask yourself WHY you waited so long. It's not free by a long shot, but priceless come tuning time.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Abarth Mike » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 pm

I have found the secret of alignment is to first press the pinion on with a G clamp.

The indentation in the clamp's moving part presses on the out edge of the pinion and has a dimple so that the clamp stops when there is about between half and one millimeter protruding. This make any further alignment easy in whatever pinion press one needs.

I use the same G clamp and a small piece of brass tubing held on with Blue Tack. The piece of tubing being scientifically made/chosen for the correct amount of shaft protruding.

Not slick but effective. But I don't do club racing and if I did would go to the races prepared, and not changing pinions "in the pits" :text-thankyouyellow:
Abarth Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:21 pm

My wife says I have lots of problems, but we don't have the time...
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:11 am

I have the same issue, but she's given up trying to change me :D
Just spent $300 ti fix a microwave I like.
The cost of the Heli-coil is amortized over all of the ten screws you repair too, right ?
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:17 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:24 am

A good tool should not wear out. In my opinion the one that you repaired was a poor design. Back when I had access to a machine shop I made my own gear press, I have used it for 25 years and I expect that it will never wear out.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:29 am

ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:12 am

BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mayberryman » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:28 am

I think that we all have problems according to our wives, non slot racing friends and others who might not understand why we need the new CAR, TOOL, SPEED CONTROLLER, you fill in the blank when we have at least 40 cars, a complete box of tools and various hand controllers from Parma to the newest thing on the market with one more control knob.

After 45 years of marriage I have found ways to get over on her. When I purchased my last new 1/1 car I acted like I did not really notice when she purchased her Kitchen Aid two oven, five burner gas stove because she wanted to start using Cast Iron. When I purchased three NSR cars I pretended not to care about the two orchestra pit tickets to a Michael Buble concert that she paid more than I care to know for.

There is an old saying about hobbies and their cost and it goes like this, "Everybody has his own needle".
Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:55 am

You're so right Mayberryman, when I got out of the service field, I kept my 1" drive impact, which really saved my back when rotating the tires on our 3/4 ford pickup with its self locking lugnuts and it made for a quick repair of changing out the timing belt on her Odessy evem though that 18mm socket looked like a little over kill.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:03 am

TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 4424ever » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:11 pm

If she understood the number of times I said NO I can't afford that right now, made my own tool for that job or jumped on a car when it was a deal my collection of cars might be appreciated a little more for what it is BUT it's a simple fact that some girls just are not into cars. We love them anyway :D
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:54 pm

I bought the Ninco gear press/puller. The amount of slop in both the puller screw and press screw is inexcuseable. Then there is the tip of both screws that is so soft that trying to press a gear onto the armature shaft is very difficult, I see the slot.it tool every time I go to "The Race Place" but I still can't pull the trigger on buying it at that price, that goes for the Tire Razor too. I know they are good tools but my Scotch cheapness keeps pushing me back.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:17 pm

We sell a lot of the Ninco ones but the Slot.it tool is the best tool in my tool box! There is some sticker shock but worth every penny.

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge