[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - World of Outlaws - Weedsport, NY

World of Outlaws - Weedsport, NY

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

World of Outlaws - Weedsport, NY

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sat May 21, 2016 10:52 pm

I've been wanting to see a WoO race in person for quite a while, and looks like with our good friends Rob and Yvonne, we'll be seeing them later on tonight at the Weedsport Racepark.

They look awesome to watch on tv, but I'm betting they're even better in person.

Will update on Monday if I get the chance... :D
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Re: World of Outlaws - Weedsport, NY

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun May 22, 2016 6:47 am

This is going to be good :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby nhdungeonracer » Mon May 23, 2016 7:43 am

WOW!!!

What a great show!

Man! Can these guys drive!

To be going around a 4/10ths mile track in 13-14 seconds (85-90 mph) while dealing with 23 other cars is an awesome sight to see. And doing it sideways in the corners to boot!

WOW!!!

Traveling home today. Over the next couple days,I'll get some pics and videos posted here.

I will say, if you ever get a chance to watch these guys, do it!
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby nhdungeonracer » Mon May 23, 2016 9:14 pm

nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby nhdungeonracer » Mon May 23, 2016 9:20 pm

nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue May 24, 2016 6:10 am

I see new models in your future :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby strangebrew » Tue May 24, 2016 10:42 am

Glad you had a good time.....................Take a look at these guys too.
The WOO Late Model series visited my home track a couple yrs. back, (or aliens as Doc Reinecke calls 'em) & that is always a great show too.
My home track is only 1/5th mile & qualifying times were near 11sec. (can't tell you the speed)
They use the whole track top to bottom & won't have much of a right rear quarter left after 50 laps. (If you've done it right) :lol:
You'll notice the end of the video results.....18 cars out of 25 finished on the lead lap & there were only 2 cautions
....................That's great racin' on a real bull ring.....................

I checked the schedule & I think you're in for another road trip.

Tues. June 21 Weedsport Speedway Weedsport, N.Y.
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Tue May 24, 2016 12:48 pm

I've been to Weedsport many times, most notably for the Super Dirtcar Series races. The best seats are at the top of the grandstand on the turn four side of the flagger's stand, but if you get closer to turn 4 when the cars come screaming sideways out of the corner it seems like with the slightest bobble they could land in your lap.

Also, don't wear anything light colored to the races and be prepared to feel like you've been playing in a sandbox afterwards. I carry goggles with me so I don't have to close my eyes when the dust cloud follows the cars out of the corners. Eatin' a little dirt is just extra seasoning.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby strangebrew » Tue May 24, 2016 5:46 pm

:D :D If your beer doesn't have dirt in it...........you're at the wrong racetrack :lol: :lol:
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Tue May 24, 2016 8:54 pm

One time back in the 80's when my wife and I were at Orange County Fair Speedway we noticed a group of people heading up in the grandstands and taking seats just to our right. It was 2 couples, 2 guys and a girl in jeans and T-shirts and one gal decked out in heels and a white pants suit. A gleaming white pants suit. As the races started I noticed her dusting off her pants periodically, which of course only made gray-brown streaks on them. By the end of the night she was a complete mess.

Moral of the story - when asking someone out to the races give them a heads up on the dress code. I've often wondered how that couple made out, and thought they probably weren't a match.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Tue May 24, 2016 11:44 pm

@ gameover - nah, the late models don't do much for me. Doesn't matter if they're the dirt or asphalt type, I just can't get into them. I rather watch a street stock race than late models.

@ slothead - Weedsport has done a # of upgrades recently. They have now added LED lighting around the track along with a new permanent big screen in the center. The bleachers are all aluminum, with the reserved section having plastic seating.

I do hope to go back again. If my schedule allows, I'd like to see the big block Modifies go around there.

I hear you both on the clothing. My friend and I told our wives not to wear anything fancy, but something you'd wear when working in the garden. And to wear a hat. And to put their hair up under. Etc, etc, etc... My friend's wife was starting to wonder if she should go. :lol: After the 1st heat of the Sportsman Modifies, she said the dirt wasn't so bad. I just smirked... Then when the first heat of the Outlaws went by and hit the 1st turn, the wind hit us along with the shower of dirt. She put her hat on then :lol: When it was all over, she said it wasn't as bad as we made it out to be, but certainly was thankful we prepped her for what was to come. She did enjoy it, and did say she'd go back.
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby nhdungeonracer » Tue May 24, 2016 11:46 pm

nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby slothead » Wed May 25, 2016 9:43 am

Admittedly I haven't been to Weedsport in years, but will change that this summer. The World Racing Group that sanctions the World of Outlaws sprint car and late model series, also runs the Super Dirtcar Series for Big Block modifieds. These are arguably the best traveling dirt racing series in the country, but while the sprints and late models run a lot of big shows across the eastern half of the country, the Big Block modified Dirtcar's are predominately based in the northeast and eastern Canada except for the season starting events in Florida and season ending events in Charlotte.

I know we're a community of slot car enthusiasts here, but putting our fannies in the seats at 1:1 tracks is important too so auto racing remains alive and well. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge