[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - What were you doing 46 years ago today?

What were you doing 46 years ago today?

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

What were you doing 46 years ago today?

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:59 pm

I was getting married. Yup, we really have been married 46 years. Nixon was in his first term, his thugs hadn't broken into The Watergate yet, The Godfather was brand new, Hanoi Jane did her screwup, DNA was discovered, and the last man to walk on the moon did his thing. And dinosaurs ruled the earth.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: What were you doing 46 years ago today?

Postby Half Fast Slotter » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:23 pm

I was in 8th grade. Had an AFX HO track on a platform under the bunk bed. The yellow Porsche 917K was my favorite. Was thinking about girls a lot - - - a whole lot. Make that a whole, whole lot.
Half Fast Slotter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:42 pm

I was graduating from college and looking for a math teaching position. I also was getting ready to trade in my 65 Chevelle on a brand new Vega GT. I couldn't afford a Camaro on a starting teacher;s salary and the 72 Vega GT looked like a smaller version of the 70 Camaro. The Vega had potential but Chevy screwed up on the design of that 4 cylinder engine and then clung to it for too long.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:29 pm

I was a Freshman in college 3rd quarter. I had just bought a 1971 Satellite, 2 door Winchester Gray Metallic with a gloss black top, the summer of '71. It was my 18th birthday present to myself. Dad wouldn't let me get a RoadRunner. I was still on his insurance. My younger brother and I later souped it up. 318 upgraded with 340 heads, cam, headers, 4 barrel carb on a Edelbrock Tarantula manifold, B&M reverse valve body, B&M Floor shifter,B&M 9" Torque convertor, Thrush side pipes. Flat Black paint added under the door, hood insert, and lower front and rear valance.

This is the color. This is a Sport Satellite in the picture. Mine had no chrome and had black steel wheels with hub caps. Later upgraded to Rocket 5 spoke chrome wheels. This has a vinyl top. My top was painted black the last 1/4 of the top to the upper part of the rear quarter panel bottom of rear window. There was a piece of chrome trim to make a break between the top and quarter panel. Oh yeah bench seat no buckets.
Had completed my first of 43 years at UPS. Never knew a part-time job would turn into 43 years.

Eldon Race set I had gotten at 8 years old had been upgrade to a Selectronic by this time. Banked Curves, Escape Route Track, Lighted Ferrari, Dodge Coronet & Charger. I had painted lane stripes on the track and made road signs. Was a member of the Eldon Pit Pass.

Had also bought a new Tudor Electric Football game in "71.

Took Vanessa to her sorority ball.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:56 am

I was 21, worked twelve hours a day as a carpenter for $5 an hour (big money in those days). I got my pilots license and bought my first airplane, a 1967 Cessna 150, cost $4,000. Already had a 1971 Mach 1 Mustang and shared an apartment with a high school buddy. My half of the rent was $90 a month.
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:42 am

cough cough, I was breast feeding.
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:48 am

I wasn’t around and I’m not sure my parents had met yet but congratulations to you and your wife, happy anniversary!!
Last edited by Lou E on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:53 am

Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby borninthe50s » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:33 am

borninthe50s

Postby RazorJon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:36 am

I was 7 and this being Sunday night, I bet I was watching Disney
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby kctess17 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:40 am

USAF Thule,Greenland 1968 Mustang Fastback 390 4speed
kctess17

Postby CatRacer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:47 am

Seven years old, playing with hot wheels.
CatRacer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:23 am

Can't say I remember what I was doing on the 22nd of April, 1972 but in general I a year out of high school working mornings on a garbage truck for a guy who was as close to a grandfather as I had. He was already in his late 70's and told great stories about running moonshine in a tank under his rear seat during prohibition and what life was like before electricity and running water. In the afternoons I worked construction with my father or spent time fixing up my '351 V8 '69 Mercury Cougar. I still would have had my Strombecker slot car track in the basement but was probably spending more time with the stunningly attractive redhead who'd been my high school girlfriend's best friend. I was between relationships and she was lonely because her boyfriend was away at college. I can assure you I was a complete gentleman, though I did what I could to ensure she maintained her make out skills so he had something to look forward to on breaks. They married a few months later, are still together, and she's invited me and my wife to stop by for a visit whenever we're in their 'neck' of the woods (pardon the pun).

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures from '72, and the Cougar and track are long gone. But I have some wonderful memories.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Z-carfan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:24 am

I was three years old.... I have no idea what I was doing. (actually I still don't)! :P :clap: :laughing-rolling:
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FC47 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:27 am

Freshman in high school, Lionel & Ives stuff, HO Model Motoring, jumping stuff with bicycles like Evel Knievel, lived on a hill and built wooden go carts. Can-Am freak.
Dinosaurs still rule the earth Rob!
I still 'feed' whenever there's a chance!
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge