[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Picked up a train engine

Picked up a train engine

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Picked up a train engine

Postby Dangermouse » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:06 am

Managed to grab myself this little beauty the other day.

Can't wait to get some track laid so I can run it. It is a 1/48 scale Bachmann ON30 2-8-0

cheers
David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Picked up a train engine

Postby Dangermouse » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:56 pm

The kids in the street have been over to drive the cars on the old track a few times. They came over when I working on the new track plan and asked what I was doing. When I showed them that I was building a slot car and train track one of them said. Cool do you race trains as well.

:)
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DAVE » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:00 pm

The Bachmann On30 models are excellent for the price. Plus they run on HO track which
is much cheaper than scale O track. The tie spacing and size is wrong for O-scale, but you
can bury them with ballast and no one will know. On30 actually came about when HO gagers
wanted to make the change to O-scale but still wanted to keep the layouts they had without
laying new track. That is where the tag "On30" started because previously it had been referred
to as On2 1/2, since the width between the rails was a scale two and one half feet. The width
between the rails of HO gage track is not actually 2 1/2 feet in O=scale, so the new moniker
was created to eliminate confusion for those who had been modelling exact scale On2 1/2.
On30 trains will not run properly on exact scale track gage. As long as you stick with buying
only On30 equipment, you will be fine.
Welcome to the world of model railroading. It is a more "calming" hobby than slot racing, so
when I need to just chill out, that is what I do.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ddyke » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:38 pm

If done right the technique of forced perspective can be used to give the appearance of distance. Especially if you can put the train up and back from the track with something in between.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_perspective
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:20 pm

Nice looking locomotive. I've been in and out of model railroading for many years. My choice was HO, from the late steam era through the 1980's. I still have a few locomotives and a bunch of rolling stock. Might build a shelf layout in my Florida room.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:03 pm

Nice! Also from a former model RR racer!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Reslotted » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:25 pm

My Dad was a big model RR fan. I've dabbled in it on and off. I still have some nice stuff mainly from the old man. I might get around to giving it all a race around one day.

Gee we're all coming out of the closet now (the model RR closet) not the other one :D
Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:52 am

Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DAVE » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:51 pm

Right. Peco and San Juan both have nice scale looking ready track. I started O-scale in the late sixties, so
my track is hand layed. I have O, On3 and On2. I like the "critter" you are building. Looks like it is going
to be a Climax.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:29 pm

Another old Model Railroader here too. Still have my 1960s Lionel 3 rail (going to the great nephew), HO and N all packed away.
I am reminded of a cartoon from "the old days" of slots where the kid keeps burning up motors in his slots; on the shelf in the background is his old train stuff; cut to tinkering at the workbench; next scene slot car whipping around the track going "chug chug chug WOO WOO!"
Hmmm, I wonder........ :think:
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:32 pm

I'll admit it, I'm a closet model railroader........

N scaler when I'm not racing slots.

It is amazing how much scratch building and scenery jump back and forth between both hobbies.....

It's all good!

Choo Choo!!!!!

Wayne (Bolton's Speed Shop) :D :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Reslotted » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:05 pm

One of the old mans scratchbuild Locos' (Apart from wheels and motor, it's all scratched from brass).
It's Sn 3 1/2 . That means that it's built to a scale where the HO track would be 3'6" instead of the normal 4 foot something.
(so I think it's about 1/64 or thereabouts)
Back in the old days all trains in West Australia ran on 3'6" guage track.

The Model is of a V class 2 8 2 from the old West Australian Govt. Railways.
At the time it was one of the most powerful Engines in the world to run on 3'6" (apart from garrets)

The Model is simply enormous for something that runs on HO track (and is bloody heavy)
He used to make heaps of scratchies from brass but mostly for other folk.
I think this is the only one of his brass builds that stayed in the family and was the last one he ever built (some of the detail was never really finished)
I've been offered wads of cash for it from guys who model old West Aussie stuff, but would never part with it.

Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:24 am

So we can race those, right? With the train digital system, all inclusive, I can see multiple engines on a track. Use the switches to find the fastest line, late brake going into the hairpin, custom paint, hotter motors!!
I can hear it know, wow, handles like it's on rails!!

Just kidding. We've got Bachman HO and G scale for something different.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DAVE » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:05 pm

[img]s1165.beta.photobucket.com/user/dcrevie/media/railroad%20picts/IMG_0151.jpg.html?sort3&0=5[/img]

[img]s1165.beta.photobucket.com/user/dcrevie/media/railroad%20picts/IMG_0152.jpg.html?sort3&0=5[/img]

[img]s1165.beta.photobucket.com/user/dcrevie/media/railroad%20picts/IMG_0170.jpg.html?sort3&0=5[/img]

[img]s1165.beta.photobucket.com/user/dcrevie/media/railroad%20picts/IMG_0179.jpg.html?sort3&0=5[/img]

[img]s1165.beta.photobucket.com/user/dcrevie/media/railroad%20picts/IMG_0183.jpg.html?sort3&0=5[/img]

Scratch built is always good. I have about 40 brass engines, a dozen Bachmann On30 engines converted to On3,
and 8 diesel locos. Some of the brass locos are mostly scratch, but I am not above using commercial parts when
I can. I was editor of a major O-scale magazine for many years.
Last edited by DAVE on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge