My Whereabouts...

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

My Whereabouts...

Postby dreinecke » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:28 pm

I've had a number of emails asking where I've been. A list of possible answers follows - you can choose the one you feel fits me best:

1) I was crushed by an enormous bag of Dum-Dums and couldn't get up.
2) I went to Germany for the Toy Fair.
3) I got so engrossed in working on that new Yugo resin body I promised Harry that I lost sense of all time...
4) I got a new job and have been getting ready for that major change in life!

I've been with one company for the past 15 years, and while it is a good organization, there are some elements that work there that are simply nuts. I've put up with it for the past 8 years to the point that my health (and mental state :) !) was starting to suffer.

So, after shoulder surgery in the fall and a few more insane moments at work, I put my resume out on LinkedIn, etc. and started applying for jobs. Well, I'm extremely pleased to report that I was contacted by a company and given an offer I couldn't refuse. It does extend my commute from 30 minutes to about an hour a day each way, but the job is awesome, the team is awesome that I'll be working with, and the fact that they pursued me validated that I have valuable skills, no matter what my current boss thinks :evil:

Anyway, so I've spent the past few days doing paperwork for the new place and am tuning up my Jeep XJ - shocks, plugs, wires, etc. She's got 185k on the clock and purrs like a kitten.

The great news is that I literally feel like a stone has been taken off my chest. I haven't been this relaxed since I was at HRW last summer or when I was on major drugs after my surgery lol!

I'm leaving on good terms (taking the high road) and only have to work Thursday and Friday this week at the old place and I start my new job on Monday. So, now that this insane phase of my life is closing, I hope to be back playing with little cars almost full-time.

If your job sucks, keep looking and hope for the best - there are jobs out there.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Re: My Whereabouts...

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:31 pm

So you are saying that body still isn't finished?

Oh, congrats too :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby DAVE » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:19 pm

David;

Glad you could get out of a bad situation and into a better position. There are just too many people stuck
in crummy jobs. It certainly was the biggest part of my decision to retire now rather than staying on for
no other reason than building up a bigger retirement portfolio (that I may not totally utilize). The strain on
a person's emotional well being is not worth any amount of money.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:21 pm

David,

I am only too aware of the feelings that having a miserable job can bring down on you.

However I was with a company for over 30 years and I just had to come up with a way of 'taking it with me'.

Fortunately they decided to do away with the organization that I a part of. Being laid off felt so good as I was able to draw my savings - with company contributions, guaranteed my pension, kepy my 'golden parachute' and other benefits. I was smiling when I walked into HR. They could never figure out why, but I totally knew!

Congratulations! I know too well the feelings you are having!
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Looking forward to the TransAm convertible Yugo. Did you model the beer can fender flares and one spoke wheels?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Tubby » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Congrats David!

Tubby
Tubby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Ill go with option 3 David.

I thought your new job was going to be in radio after you were made famous after your stint on the radio. In all seriousness though congrats on the new job. I hope your work colleagues are good to work with & you enjoy the place. The 2 hour travel time per day is a bore though.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks gents....it was dangerously close to a Dum-Dum crushing...just saying. I know who to thank for those. Luckily, the new job knows nothing of my hobby or addiction to small suckers yet. I'll spring that on them during week #2.

I have a complete car-related confession to make: Even though my Jeep looks fantastic, she's been neglected. I just realized after pulling 6 plugs out with virtually no electrodes, that it wasn't 30k ago that I changed the plugs like I thought...it was 75k. I just checked the records :o Holy cow. I still have been getting 18.5-19 MPG on the highway. The wires were pretty bad too. She really purrs like a kitten now. Poor girl, she just needed some TLC.

The shocks I knew were crap and were about 75k as well. I didn't have to even jack up the vehicle to change them. I LOVE working on a lifted Jeep and having ZERO rust. I put some BDS shocks on her and I'd completely forgotten how a vehicle with shocks rides.

So, she's all ready for the daily trips north!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Ember » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:36 pm

Well... I was going for the DumDum disaster, but seems I'm wrong.

Good luck surviving the last few days at the old job.

And best wishes and congratulations for the new.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby moparjenny » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:02 pm

Congratulations, David! :)
moparjenny
Cupcakes

Postby ListerStormGT » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Congrats Buddy, I know it has been a long time coming but you finally found something better. I wish nothing but the best from here on out! :dance:
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:45 pm

glad for you Dave, nothing worse than a rotten job :(
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby scatman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:46 am

Good to hear good news. Congrats.
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ChallengerGuy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:55 am

Good job on the new job! With more time on the road, you may enjoy slot cars that much more upon returning home!
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Xr4ti » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:31 pm

2 hour commute is worth it for the right job. Congratulations on being chosen.
Xr4ti
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge