[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Not so cool pictures.

Not so cool pictures.

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Re: Not so cool pictures.

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:16 pm

DAVE, my wife was in that '67 blizzard. She's been telling me about it for 40 years. Made a big impression!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:01 pm

We've had our share here, but almost nothing this year or last other than a few 6 inchers that melt in a day. Not enough moisture here and we'll have another bad fire season if things don't improve soon. I just shoveled the 4" we got today off the drive, but it is all powder.

We had 215" in 2007 and that was amazing. Loved it. Colorado was as green that spring as I've ever seen it.

You folks take care out there - I just heard Mississippi got hit with a tornado. Yikes!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby bkrownd » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:28 am

I love those photos! :D

A lot of the best memories from my youth are of snowy weather, snow drifts, snow forts, snowball fights, "snow days", sledding, skiing, showshoeing, etc. :D Shovelling snow was the only chore I ever loved - I'd shovel snow for hours, and build forts inside the piles. Those photos of big snow drifts bring me right back to the good old days. :D
bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Update

Postby RichD » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:43 am

The official figure for my town was 32 inches of snow, I guess I got lucky when some of my share landed someplace else. There is simply too much snow just to push it aside here. East Haven, CT is mostly a maze of narrow streets, the houses are close together and many people have to park in the street. The town only has a few trucks big enough to push snow this deep and much of it will have to be trucked away. None of the roads in my neighborhood have been cleared. I have not seen a vehicle moving since Friday afternoon, chances are I will not be driving anyplace for a few days. Few people have even tried to dig out, my neighbors started to do their driveway but gave it up after about 30 minutes. I think I will take a walk later today to see where the nearest open street is.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Sorry, but I left my snow shovel up north when I moved to Florida in 1974.

Have not had to shovel snow in the past almost 40 years.

Really don't miss it a bit.

However, thank you for posting those photos to refresh my memory!

They are pretty!
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby DAVE » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Slotter, your turn is coming. The South has had some colder winters in the last 20 years.

I guess one of the things that turned me against winter is that they closed Wilmott Raceway to
make a ski resort out of it. But we have had some pretty good spring hillclimbs at Alpine Valley.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:59 pm

Dave,

I certainly hope you are wrong about your estimate!

But this is our 40th winter of living in Florida. I have seen it snow twice now. Neither time did the snow come in contact with the ground. It melted about 2 to 3 feet above the ground.

Each one of those 40 winters has been different. I live in the central part of the state and we have had some weather that got down into the teens - for a short period of time, but it sure did kill a lot of orange trees. The bad part is that the growers gave up, sold the land and now there are homes on that land.

Still my record stays intact, I have not had to shovel any snow since prior to 1974.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby dge467 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:25 pm

dge467
The King of Foil

Postby dge467 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Hey RichD, you guys got hit pretty hard down in CT. We ended up with about 27 inches in my area. It is tough seeing anything when pulling out of streets and merging on to the highways. This is the first big snow of the past two winters. The other times it snowed this year was only around 4 inches each storm. You are lucky Florida Slotter, but if you like you can come up here and shovel some snow around! :D
dge467
The King of Foil

Previous

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge