Not so cool pictures.

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Not so cool pictures.

Postby dge467 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:58 am

Actually down right COLD! I cant even get out my front door because of the snow drifts. I'll post some more laterImage
dge467
The King of Foil

Re: Not so cool pictures.

Postby GoBucks » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:08 am

Wow, you got hit hard. Hope all is well. Do you still have power? Looks like a day to stay indoors and do some slot racing!!!!
GoBucks

Postby dge467 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:18 am

Yes, we still have power. There was one wind gust last night that woke me from a sound sleep! The snow has drifted almost half way up the garage doors, should make it fun to try and get the snow blower out.ImageImage
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby frank9129 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:03 am

I remember in the 70's we had a blizzard here in Maryland.
My oldest daughter was standing in the drive way crying that someone stole out car ('69 Chevelle). She didn't realize that she was standing on it's roof.
I have a picture somewhere.
My heart does out to you.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:28 am

A plow came down my street yesterday and I did my driveway at 3:30, mostly to get rid of the stuff from the plow. There was about 2 inches at that point. I was going to go out again at 8PM or so but the wind was really blowing at that point and the street had not been plowed again. This morning the snow was 24 inches deep in my driveway, at first I thought it was just drifted up against the house, but it was that deep all the way down to the street. I guess I got 26 inches in all. My snow blower is only good for 13 inches! I had to nibble a path straight across the driveway and across the street and then widen that to get room to maneuver. Once I got a path going I would use a shovel to shave 6-12 inches of snow from one side and then use the blower to clear that. Once I got enough space to turn the blower around I went sideways across the driveway until it was all cleared, that took just over two hours and the driveway is only 23X25 feet. I wanted to get that done before the plow came along and left a pile of packed snow four feet high. Obviously I will have to get out there after the plow comes by. I did clear about three feet into the street so not so much snow would end up back in the driveway.
All of the roads in the state are closed. Towns along the coast starting a couple of towns east of me have a lot of power outages, from 20 to 80%. Those should get fixed fairly quickly. I have not heard a plow go by on the street that mine comes out on and none of my neighbors have tried to dig out yet. I was tempted to walk out to the main street to see what that looked like, but my boots are only 16 inches tall.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:43 pm

My kids looked at the first photo and said, they are so lucky, LOL kids ;)
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby dge467 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:37 pm

Well we finally finished cleaning things up outside! Took about 5 hours. I had to go out the back door with a shovel and walk around the house. The wind actually cleared a path on one side of the house! After we finished up I did my neighbors driveway too, their snow blower broke down!ImageImageImageImageImageImage
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:57 pm

Fun fun fun! I wish we had a little :)

Not a lot. Just enough so I can take the Exploder out and have a little fun.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby FootScoot » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:35 pm

Harry looks like we are going to get rain instead. It's supposed to start after midnight tonight. Oh boy, more stinkin' rain. My yard is like a marsh now, or peat bog, kinda squishy either way. :(
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby dge467 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:39 pm

You guys can come by with some big trucks and take as much as you want! No charge! :lol:
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby FootScoot » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Thanks for the offer, but I'll settle for the rain. :lol:
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby DAVE » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:34 pm

How much you like snow depends on how old you are. I hate it now, but when I was a kid it
was the next best thing to home made go-karts and mini-bikes. In 1967 there was a major
blizzard in the Chicago area. School was cancelled for the Thursday and Friday after the storm.
My father worked about ten miles away and was snowed in there, so he did not make it home
until Sunday. Our house has a fairly long driveway which runs downhill, and a couple of friends
and I found we could get some pretty impressive speed going down it on a sled, as long as there
was no car parked there. We would turn right just before the garage and run off into the back
yard. The problem was that sometimes someone would miss the turn and slam into the garage door,
so we made a banked turn there out of some of the snow. My mother saw what we were doing
and showed us how to spray the banking with water to make it stronger, and faster. Now we were
gliding across the back yard and running into the chain link fence going down the side of the yard.
Another bank was made and iced over so we could turn left and run along the fence. Eventually we
had a mini-bobsled run which ran down the driveway, across the back yard to the fence, along the
fence to the back of the lot, then back across the lot to the other side for a total run of close to
200 feet. Naturally, word spread through the munchkin grapevine and soon there was a hundred
kids or more lining up to use the course. Then my dad got home and discovered all the ice on the
driveway and blew his stack. I did not see the harm in what we did then, but I have to admit that
if I had kids and they did the same thing now, I would feel the same. So you see, enthusiasm for
snow can depend on how old you are.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ChallengerGuy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:47 pm

I better not say anything, it was sunny here (again) in Sacramento. But, I have a cold so the heater is on all day long. My kids looked at these pictures and thought it would be awesome to be there.
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Yeah, I haven't seen the neighborhood kids so excited. A lot of the younger children haven't seen a big snow like this before!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby MoparGreg » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Damn thats alot of snow.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge