[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Diecast

Diecast

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Diecast

Postby vonsirius » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:40 pm

Just curious;
It´s anybady in non children orientated diecast racing ?
vonsirius
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Diecast

Postby glasshorsevh » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:15 pm

Interesting question ... I’d have to ask, what scale are we talking? What happens to the fencing, the buildings, the infield spectators, the corner marshals, etc. when a 1/32nd scale (or heaven forbid 1/24th) sled goes slotless?

Could be fun...

Val
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vonsirius » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Well, I was thinking mainly on 1:64 scale,you know, hot wheels, matchbox and so on.
vonsirius
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:33 pm

A variable voltage power supply could be used to slow the cars down to realistic speeds. Being heavier with a higher center of gravity should mean it would take more skill to race diecast cars effectively.

I built a few 1:43 scale diecast cars years ago but was never satisfied with the quality of parts so I gave it all away. I think this is definitely an option at 1:64 scale with so many bodies and styles available.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby hksk25 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:17 pm

The ISHR group ran 1/24 NASCAR diecast cars last year. We had a BALL!!!! The track was barely wide enough and there was a LOT of beating and banging! Here is a link to the race report: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/interst ... t1998.html

At the bottom of the page there is a link to some videos.

Harry
hksk25
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:44 pm

My comment about reducing the voltage for 'realistic speeds' was intended to suggest that even though diecast bodied cars might not handle as well as plastic bodies cars, slowing them down could still generate good racing without too many deslots and crashes.

However, after reading the 1:24 scale NASCAR race report I'm reminded that good clean skill based racing is not what everyone prefers, at least at times. For road course demolition derby's diecast cars would seem to be the way to go.

I'm guessing diecast bodies would be fine for 1:64 scale racing as long as a good way to mount them onto chassis can be found.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby BIG E » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Here on Long Island we've been putting die cast bodies on drag cars, and also some old style modified coupe bodies. The drag cars are fun, and many have been mounted to "4 Gear" type pancake chassis.
You may want to check out the excellent body mount conversion kits offered by NY Modifieds.com for the 4 Gear type AW chassis, for both drag cars and oval track coupes. Of course, you can make up you own mounts using plastic, wood, epoxy, ect.
Have fun with it! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:58 pm

ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vonsirius » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:43 am

Yes Rusty, it was the kind of races I was thinking about!
Anyway I was wondering if it is to childish or there´re some "adult aproach" to it.

I´m also like the idea of converting diecast in slot cars, so every post here was interesting!!!
vonsirius
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:15 pm

As for 1/64 gravity racing, here's a bit of info...
There is a group in MA/CT area called "Do or Die Cast" -- I saw a couple of their tracks at the formerly Mass Car (now called EXPO Model Show or something similar) model car show in Taunton, MA while I was vending model car parts there. They use custom made wood tracks that start with a line up of cars at the top (a few feet high), and then the track narrows as it descends to the floor. Fastest car gets through the squeeze first. Don't really know all the details, but it seemed like everyone was having FUN. They probably have a web page somewhere, for what it's worth.
Happy hunting -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:14 pm

ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:34 pm

slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Rastas » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:32 am

IMG_20190208_195139.jpgI started building a chassis for this with the intention of making a mould out of the body an doing a run of resins, I might build the :mrgreen: die cast see how it runs and handle might be a bit of fun.!!!
PS.it's a 1/32.
Rastas
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:24 pm

I asked this question in another forum , and I figured I would ask it here as well . I was able to get a set of Fast and the Furious cars off of eBay and was thinking about taking them apart and place a slot car motor in them . Haven't started the project as of yet , and it will all depend on the information that I get if it is doable or not .
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:35 pm

Well I answered that already.

But now? I think you should do it. They will run great!

Make sure you put a very hot motor in them. 40K minimum.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge