The RMS Skunk Works & Palmer Divide Raceway are RELOCATING!

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

The RMS Skunk Works & Palmer Divide Raceway are RELOCATING!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:21 pm

I'm a very fortunate man. There are many reasons I feel that way, but I'll address one: I get to play with small cars. This has allowed me to learn new skills in model building, make incredible friends all over the world, and thanks to the affection of one woman - I've had a place to play for the past 17 years.

Why do I bring this up? Because the RMS Skunk Works and Palmer Divide Raceway are about to be relocated!

I've always been very sad to hear about guys that have had to give up their hobby due to a move and not having enough room to continue in it. I'm extremely thankful that the Fetching Mrs. Reinecke recognized years ago that having a room she could lock me in was beneficial for our marriage ;)

In 1997 we built a nice rancher that had a fourth bedroom where I was able to build my HO layout. I began scenery work for the first time and really learned a bunch. I even ran in one of the first ORS racing series online. Very cool stuff!

Moving in 2002 to our present home, I decided I'd put my HO setup in the new "dungeon". It was a far cry from the nicely finished room it used to be in, and the HO cars were impossible to see at speed at a distance of 20 feet. So, I did what was logical at the time - I switched to 1:32!

I built the first 1:32nd scale version of the Palmer Divide Raceway (PDR) and had a complete blast. The scenery wasn't bad for my first "real" attempt and I fell in love with Trans-Am racing. That led to the birth of RMS Resins and a great hobby business that I really love.

Finally after 7 years of toiling in the same dark basement, I finished my dream man-cave and as a result, the PDR was replaced with a new, routed PDR track. My RMS work area improved dramatically too and I've spent several great years in this fantastic space.

Let me get back to the Fetching Mrs. Reinecke for a moment: she has always understood how much it meant to me to be able to spend some time playing in order to bleed off stress from a really horrific former work environment. She has never complained and has always been supportive. She has always been my partner and helped paint the basement, lay the carpet, hang the wood trim, box large resin orders - you name it.

When I switched jobs last year, my entire stress level changed for the good, but with it came a 120 mile daily commute. I've never minded it, but we decided this year to put the house on the market in order to shorten that drive and allow her and our daughter to have some other job opportunities in a slightly larger community. With that goal, we decided to move north to Castle Rock and shave my commute almost in half. One concern was finding the "right" house that would meet our needs and those of my hobby. A basement was always a requirement and she never wavered from that.

Well, I am happy to report that we sold our current house in less than three weeks and found THE House. As soon as I walked into the basement I was blown away. Not only is it a great finished space, but there is enough room for not only my current PDR track (with a small modification), but an oval as well. To be sure, the PDR will need some rebuilding and I'm not sure I can save all of the completed scenery, but it will all work out. An oval will have to come later, but all in good time.

Where the clouds parted and the Angels began singing the Hallelujah Chorus though was when I walked into the basement shop. Let me say that again: When I walked into the basement shop. I have no idea what the previous owner's hobby was, but it is set up for me to begin casting again almost immediately. I don't even have to setup benches. I was positive that it would take months to get things back up and going for RMS - and now that is not the case.

So, I'm thrilled that I've got a supportive wife and a great new place to play. We move on April 25th.

More to come!!!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Re: The RMS Skunk Works & Palmer Divide Raceway are RELOCATI

Postby DixonJohn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:24 pm

Good for you Dave
DixonJohn
"The Mayor"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:02 pm

Outstanding. Nice to see good things for good folks.

Now, when do you need me to help decorate?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Ember » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:32 pm

Great news. Love it when good things happen for good people. Congratulations on the new acquisition.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby hoganracing » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Congratulations, David!

Glad to hear good things coming your way.

Hogan
hoganracing
Frequent Flyer

Postby eightwheels » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:59 pm

Great find Dave on your new digs with a larger basement you can expand your resin department, also getting back 120 unused miles a day you will be able to really get the upstairs in shape for your significant other. Hope your move is easy and safe and have as much fun there as you did in your old house. :clap: :clap: :music-rockout:
eightwheels
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby scatman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:59 pm

Amen. Happy happy happy for you and your family. Good things happen to good people.
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ChallengerGuy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:23 pm

That's really great news. I always like seeing your resin castings and then seeing the big hobby makers come out 5 years later with a similar car! Keep up the good modeling!
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:01 pm

Congratulations, David!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:54 pm

David, do you have some help? This is going to be a big job.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby vonsirius » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:28 pm

Good news!
Congratulations, and take care of your wife!!! :P
vonsirius
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Reslotted » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:04 pm

Good result Dave, sounds like it's worked out pretty good all round.
Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:59 am

Thanks folks!

Harry - I'll get your invitation out for the decorating party - no unicorns or pink...that's all I'm saying...

Thanks for the offers for help, but we've got it covered. I'm in excellent shape (thanks to SALADS!), but am using a moving company. While my shoulder is 100% after surgery, it is still weaker than I'd like, and frankly I've got other things to do like plan out the new shop.

The upstairs will be first for the Fetching Mrs. Reinecke as it should be and will be fun to put together. While the house wasn't the downsizing we'd hoped to do, in effect it was: we can live on the main level only if need be. Meaning: get out of my basement ;)

Pics to come and of course, the rebuilding of the PDR and the new shop. Hmm...I'd better get some refreshments, I'm already parched just thinking about it!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby FootScoot » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:02 am

I'm so happy for you and your family. You should save some money in fuel costs, and wear and tear on your vehicles. It's always nice to live closer to work. I've never lived farther than 5 miles from work here, so I consider myself fortunate. Have fun in your new home. :D
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby dreinecke » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:08 am

Ken,

The time on the commute has never actually bothered me. I listen to music, sports, talk on the hands-free, enjoy the scenery, etc. I have put almost 30k in the last year on Tigger and Oscar though...all trouble-free miles, but I'd like to dial that back a bit.

I actually get 21-ish in both at the moment. Not having to drive I-25 any longer and keeping with the posted speed limits of 55-65 actually gets me over 23mpg. Good stuff all around!

Well, off to go make the full drive for one of the last 8 times ( I have a business trip lumped in a week - great timing lol!)
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge