[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - What will happen to your slot car stuff?

What will happen to your slot car stuff?

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

What will happen to your slot car stuff?

Postby slothead » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:00 pm

I've been thinking about this for awhile, and the topic on the future of slot car racing made me decide to post this. When I cleaned out my parents house I had no idea what to do with most of the stuff.

Many of us are 60 and over. We've lost some online friends recently. At some future point our families will be wondering what to do with the slot car stuff we leave behind. I already have about 100 cars and boxes of parts. My instructions are to pack it all up and ship to HRW. My racing buddy and grandson is apt to put some of the more sought after RTR cars up for sale on Ebay, but I want most of it given away to other slot car nuts.

Harry - if you ever get a massive shipment of slot car stuff feel free to do whatever serves HRW best with it.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: What will happen to your slot car stuff?

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Well, that is a very nice gesture, thank you.

I'll let The General keep what she wants and donate the rest to those in need.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby FootScoot » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:51 pm

I've been thinking about this too. No one in my family would want my slot car stuff, but if I left instructions to ship it to HRW they would need a large truck. :lol:
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:47 pm

I'm kinda thinking my HRW guys will sell off my stuff for my wife when I am gone. Frankly, my stuff is so ordinary, the HRW crowd will probably buy it all in no time. That would be nicer for her.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Ember » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:48 pm

Oh dear. Sad thoughts. But I know sometimes close to the surface. Ahhh me, what to say. Harry, it seems you will have to stick around for a generation or more.

Mortality is one of those things we must ignore if we hope to move forward in life. But we all face at some stage.

But really, things are not our legacy. It is our love, our passion, our kindness and caring that are the most important things we can bestow upon future generations.

I may have a day.... Or, gods willing, I may have another 50 years. I have no following generations by choice (I'm allergic to kids). Honestly, I don't care what happens with my stuff when I'm gone. I care what difference I can make now.

Enjoy what you want, when you want. The future be damned.

(Posted while sipping a fine domestic sparkling wine and contemplating an evening with family. Perhaps not a good combination)
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby dreinecke » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:13 pm

I'll leave instructions for a few cars that are special to me to go to my kids - the rest I'll have a list of folks for them to go to.

This moving thing makes me realize that while we aren't pack rats, we still have too much stuff.

Johnny - not a bad plan, but I plan on taking a cyanide pill and driving off into the sunset like in "On the Beach"...
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:24 pm

I've had friends go through the family feuds over stuff. Not in my family. There is a will and my sister and I already know what we'd like to keep and what isn't important.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:34 pm

Wow,

I haven't really thought of this that much to be honest.....

.....I've got other personal stuff that has a great deal of sentimental value to me. A lot of this gear is from my non-slot car life, archery, shooting etc. That gear will go to my son to keep, he can do what he wants with it.

My slot cars probably aren't as big a deal, my mint shelf-Queen side of the collection bit the dust a little while back, I got decent money for them and put that to use elsewhere. What is left is what I enjoy running, it has very little monetary value as such, I'd say that my grand kids can have at them, that's if they are interested in them of course....

The Drag slot cars I'm into now will probably be kept, my wife, son and I seem to like looking at them and having them on show around the house, I'll leave that side of things up to the Captain :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:42 pm

TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:41 pm

Sorry. I kinda feel like I brought things down badly. Serious appologies there.

I've recently watched my eldest brother surrender to a lng term battle with cancer. And now it's my father that is vanishing rapidly into his Parkinson's. From independent and active to constant care in a matter of months.

But Johnny, man, you have the best plan ever. A good case of wine and a few good bottles of whiskey and farewell to the world.

But until then i'm going to continue to enjoy my childhood.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby baford1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:17 am

no worries here my son & son in law both like slot cars so I know that they will get plenty of use on my track & I plan on sticking around for a long while yet
to teach my grandson all about them so easy problem solved

Richard
baford1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:12 am

Didn't mean to start anything too serious or morbid. It's Easter morning, a time the recognizes endings as beginnings.

I'd forgotten watching 'Toy Story 3' again on TV the other night. As Andy is about to head off to college the big question is what to do with the toys he loved growing up? Didn't we all imagine our toys had a secret life when we weren't around? To this day, there are times I look back at my track, with cars lined up and ready, as I head off to bed and say "have at it boys".

I have big plans for this year, and next, and more after that. And there are certainly a lot more important things than my slot car stuff, but if it eventually ends up in another fan's hands as a gift, what could be better?

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby chet9471 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:43 pm

I recently lost a good friend and a slot racer and scratch builder (he did not post on this site). He has been building cars on and off for over 40 years. His best friend is in charge of the estate and contacted me and everything (slot related) was left to me. I painted and detailed many cars for him and he had built several chassis' for some bodies I had laying around for me. His work in brass was awesome! I was saddened by his passing and I was sad to receive these cars in this way but I know somewhere he is happy that they are properly displayed, being taken care of and enjoyed (which is the most important thing to me). I have some of the cars and are picking up the rest on Monday. I will be planning a memorial race at my place so anyone in the Cincinnati area is welcome. Just need to set a date that is good for most people. Makes me think about who is deserving of my stuff when I am gone? The part that gets me is that he recently gave me two cars to paint, decal and build the interiors (A Hussein and a Chappy) which he will never see completed. I hope to have color on them in the next few days.
chet9471

Postby dreinecke » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:13 pm

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby dreinecke » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:16 pm

Chet does bring up a good point.

I had a friend in Arizona named Carl that had literally thousands of cars and probably a hundred boxed racing sets of all types. He had a footlocker full of 1:32 figures. He'd collected it all for years. When he passed, his family just kind of disappeared. Nobody wanted it from my recollection and I'm afraid they might have sold it all or dumpster-ed it. Now that sucks.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge