[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Newbie question

Newbie question

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Newbie question

Postby proxieken » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:04 am

I have been asked to put up a large oval track at a car show. I have the curves but not the straights, so I was thinking of routing some 8' sections of wood to make the straights and adapting them to my curves. The main concern I have is the fact that the curves will be Carrera, and have magnetic downforce, but if I use copper braid for the straights their will be no downforce.

I wonder if this will be a problem or actually enhance the race because cars will go even faster down the straights.

Also, can someone direct me to a good material to use for the rails. I do not need a flexible material since I am only running it for the straights. I have tried searching to small metal strips but they all seem too big.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Newbie question

Postby chappyman66 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:19 am

I will be interested to see the replies.
In the old days routing a straight to lengthen your track was recommended. However that was with flush-mounted rails in the track (Strombecker, Revell, etc).
I think the Carrera rails are slightly elevated, where the copper tape on the wood will be flush. However, I would think that the alignment of the joint could address that so it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I would say "router on" and enjoy.......I suspect your thoughts about magnets etc might be right. ;)
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:33 am

my bud 2fer did this with Carrera, he just used copper tape and it has been raced on for years Im sure he will chime in and help
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:10 pm

2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:32 pm

The transitions to Carrera track can be bumpy because of the raised rails, other than that , not too hard. Why not rout the whole thing, as a bonus, you would already have aprons.... and a spare track. I used FRP, fiberglass reinforced plastic, for my flexible walls, it came from Home Depot and was about $35 for a 4X8 sheet.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard