[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Paint Question

Paint Question

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Paint Question

Postby bamdogg » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:36 pm

Just a simple question here, as I've pretty much seen that latex is the way to go.

I happened to find a older can of Rustoleum oil based paint in the garage and threw it on the track a little to test the color. It's something called smoke gray, and pretty much I think that's what I want to go with. Kind of looks like concrete after it has been poured, but dark enough almost have the pavement look.

Anyway, just looking for what brand I can get my most bang for my buck with. I'm on a budget of sorts, read really mixed reviews about the Walmart brands (do they even mix paint at their stores?). Really don't feel like shelling out $25 a can for the stuff that Lowe's sells.

Any help would be great!
bamdogg

Re: Paint Question

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:01 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:41 pm

I used rustoleum on my first track and it really worked well with urethane tires when clean. but the traction went away really fast when it got dusty. Latex is more forgiving in that way. Rustoleum would probably be a great surface if you want to use silicon tires. Oil base paint will act as a great base for latex if you decide to change later.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bamdogg » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:47 pm

Definitely going with the latex paint, as the stuff I found was just for a color test. At least I got lucky with the color randomly as it was exactly what I was looking for.

Was looking at the wrong paint online at Lowes, under 15 is what it is, just my mind going astray I suppose.
bamdogg

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:26 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Johnnyfly41 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:22 pm

My track I used "Plasti-Dip" the rubber coating stuff. Applied with a 4" firm foam roller. I mixed white and black to arrive at a grey track. It's fantastic as far as I am concerned. Good initial grip, urethanes and rubber tires lay down rubber nicely and traction improves gradually. Did not seem to drop off much as the track got dusty. Also, non abrasive and easy on the cars should they end up on their lids sliding down the track.

For what it's worth, when I build my next track, it will be Plasti Dip as well. If anyone is interested, contact me, I can give you the benefit of what I learned.
Johnnyfly41

Return to The Lumber Yard