Watkins Glen in Wood

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Watkins Glen in Wood

Postby 73emgee » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:44 am

This is my first attempt to fit the 3.4 miles of Watkins Glen International into my available basement real estate. I used the actual turn radius from a 1971 survey of the actual track when it was expanded to include the "Boot". All dimensions from the survey blueprints have been scaled down to fit the space available and to avoid interference with the lally column. The track is temporarily resting on the bench work joists and only in joint has been completed. Eventually the track will raised to the actual scaled down elevations from the surveys. I'm encouraged that it seems to fit the space, but much work remains before running any laps.

ImageWP_20161227_005 by 73emgee, on Flickr

"The Boot"
ImageWP_20161227_004 by 73emgee, on Flickr
73emgee

Re: Watkins Glen in Wood

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:46 am

What an interesting track project. Looks like you have a great start.
-Harry

"They didn't say you couldn't" - Smokey

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby scatman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:20 am

Looking forward to more pics. Someone is going to have a Happy New Year.
Tony
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby CJR » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:49 am

Awesome!
CJR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ShotgunDave » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:27 am

Always nice to see new wood coming to life. Can't wait to see your first laps.

And by the way, welcome to HRW! :text-welcomewave:
ShotgunDave
Connoisseur of Rust

Postby dreinecke » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:33 am

I have my popcorn ready - epic build on the way - I can just feel it!

Love WG!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby RV Racing » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:04 am

A great project! Many real-world road courses don't seem to translate well to slot car layouts, but I think you've got a winner here. It's a track with such a rich history in racing and so many scenic possibilities (for authenticity, you really will need a car or bus burning in the Bog <g>). Well done!

Rick V.
RV Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:42 pm

That looks great !!! I'll be awaiting more pictures.

I live a couple hours west of The Glen in Buffalo. I have been there a few times and it RULES !
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fast Co. » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:43 pm

Great start! I'll be watching this one develop...
Woodland Trace Raceway (aka Laguna Trace Raceway)
Winston-Salem, NC
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 73emgee » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:24 pm

bobbyraz49 wrote:That looks great !!! I'll be awaiting more pictures.

I live a couple hours west of The Glen in Buffalo. I have been there a few times and it RULES !

For me there is something special about that place, great track history and town. I usually try to attend the Fall vintage weekend with my '73 MGB. In the evening, the vintage race cars leave the track and come down to the town for laps on the original road course, great stuff and big crowds.

Thanks to all for the positive comments, I need the encouragement, the task at hand feels overwhelming.
73emgee

Postby bobbyraz49 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:42 pm

73emgee wrote:
bobbyraz49 wrote:That looks great !!! I'll be awaiting more pictures.

For me there is something special about that place, great track history and town. I usually try to attend the Fall vintage weekend with my '73 MGB. In the evening, the vintage race cars leave the track and come down to the town for laps on the original road course, great stuff and big crowds.

Thanks to all for the positive comments, I need the encouragement, the task at hand feels overwhelming.

I have been to the last 2 Vintage races at The Glen.
This year they featured the Trans-Am series. We run Scaley Trans-Ams every Thursday at Niagara Hobby in Buffalo. I took pictures of my Scaleys with actual cars. Track in Buffalo......
[img][IMG]http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o717/bobbyraz49/IMG_20161027_180701497_zpstuofunpi.jpg[/img][/img]
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:46 am

Looks great; nice start! Modeling the Glen is a cool idea. How many lanes do you plan on? Copper tape or recessed braid? What's the overall footprint?

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 73emgee » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:22 am

Audi1 wrote:Looks great; nice start! Modeling the Glen is a cool idea. How many lanes do you plan on? Copper tape or recessed braid? What's the overall footprint?

Allan

Here are some more details and pictures. The track footprint is 19.5'x 8.5'. I created an Excel worksheet to scale down the actual dimensions from the survey plans to fit my space and avoid the lally column. The worksheet allowed me to try different scales until I found one the fit, which was .0313 inch to 1 foot. The track is constructed using "L girder" open grid benchwork common in model railroading. This method offers much flexibility in supporting the track since the joists that rest on top of the "L girder" can be placed as needed; in addition, the legs can be moved along the girder for best placement. Since I wanted to incorporate the scaled down track elevations from the actual survey, risers can be placed on the joists at any desired track height.

Here's a picture of some temporary "L girder" construction, pending final placement of the track, joists and legs.

ImageWP_20161228_002 by 73emgee, on Flickr

The track width is 15", I'm planning on 3 lanes that will follow the actual racing line around the track. Planned slot spacing is 3.5" diving down to 3" on some turns. I was careful to mark all turn apexes for the raceline when laying out the track on the MDF.

ImageWP_20161210_001 by 73emgee, on Flickr

The track will use 1/4" recessed braid on top of 3M tape acquired from Slot Car Corner. Here's a picture of a test piece of MDF with the slot and braid recess routed. I also experimented with 3 different color samples from Home Depot.

ImageWP_20161210_003 by 73emgee, on Flickr

The track uses lap joints between sections. I made a template to locate the joint holes for the countered bore #10-32 screws, fender washers and nuts to secure the joints. Only one side will be glued to allow easy disconnection of the joints until everything has been finalized. I'm also planning on two power drops, but haven't decided on which joints to use.

ImageWP_20161207_004 by 73emgee, on Flickr
73emgee

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:48 pm

Nice quality work. I will watch along with interest.

Cheers

Dan
Cheers
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:20 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of HRW 73!! And looks to be a great start on the wooden one!! Will be watching!!
HOME RACIN' GOO-GOO
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard