[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - MID BC - new track build

MID BC - new track build

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: MID BC - new track build

Postby Cgyracer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:04 pm

Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gt3racerich » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:58 am

gt3racerich

Postby Fast Co. » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:26 pm

Wow! That is superb! Beautiful work.
Steve
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby F1Fan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:30 pm

F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:18 pm

About the hot glue sticks available... I have used the industrial un-named yellow sticks for a long time, but the new Gorilla sticks seem to be just like the other Gorilla glues... intentionally made to be superior to what is normally available.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby slothead » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:34 pm

I still have to add scenery to my road course which has similar open areas to cover and fill in. The cardboard strips are an interesting idea I might try. I bought plastic screen to use as a base, but hadn't figured out out how to support it from sagging.

Thanks for sharing your work.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Cgyracer » Wed May 22, 2019 8:15 am

I can't believe tomorrow the 23rd will be 6 months to the day I started on this new track. Time flies! It has been a busy time the last few weeks painting rocks and applying various textures. I'm so lucky to have Don's inventory of various material and paint left over from his Nitro Pass Railroad that I can experiment with. Now this is my first time doing this kind of stuff so Don's initial training session had to go a long ways with me!

I have learned to experiment....it's easy to change if you don't like it. A black wash and a white dry brush sure makes a difference in the end result for rocks too.

Sand Trap on the decreasing radius corner with the rapid 6 inch drop. I used a few different colors of sand with lines in it to try and get a realistic look instead of a flat look.

After the underpass there is a long uphill stretch that has a hill along the side of the roadway. In some places it was tough to reach, knees on a stool reaching over did the trick but not good for the back! Not happy with the blue colored texture, going fill in with Sage Brush instead. Don stopped by yesterday to show me an easy way to create Sage Brush that looks realistic.

I need Armco Barriers now......posts with nails drilled into the bottom of the posts did the trick, Don had close to 40 posts in his goodies he left me. I drilled a small hole into the plaster and applied Goop to the nail and hole. I can't believe how strong Plaster of Paris is, the posts feel very solid. I only have the posts done for now.

Yesterday Don brought over a few trees he made. Our Semi-Arid environment has Ponderosa Pine and Douglas Fir up in the hills and Don's replications of the two types of trees look fantastic.

Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby wanabgts » Wed May 22, 2019 9:05 am

Just a fantastic looking track!

Zack
wanabgts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed May 22, 2019 11:16 am

Very nice job.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Wed May 22, 2019 11:57 am

Wow Rob, to my mind you have captured the Okanagan character exceptionally well! Now all you have to do is fill up the rest of the room with water and you have the lake as well.

Fantastic job!
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GRUNZ » Wed May 22, 2019 12:07 pm

This is one of the most beautiful tracks that I have ever seen.
First of all, I am not a huge fan of people decorating tracks: they always look too crowded or cramped with too much stuff.
Second, the track width is either too narrow (2 lanes) or too wide (4+ lanes).
But this one has a very good balance of scenery (at least so far) and realism.
The only thing that it would improve it for me would be to introduce lane changers and a working pitlane to make it also digital.
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:54 pm

Gorgeous Cyg...painstaking but well worth it...nice thread!!! :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:33 pm

I sure like following this thread. Scenery is a hobby in itself. Blackwash is essential to add depth and variation to areas that look to uniform in texture and color.

It takes a lot of room to do it right in 1:32 scale. Most railroads of today are 1/87 ,or 1/160, so attempting this feat in 132 is quite a challenge.

As others have said the ratio of track to scenery is a crucial element to pulling it off. The area you are modeling lends itself well to this, and you have been instructed well. It looks great so far.

I am sure your scenery mentor knows all about forced perspective. I think there are areas this trick could be used very well on this track.

Keep the progress shots coming

How does a guy with the handle cgyracer end up with Oiler memorabilia on the wall? It speaks highly of your character sir. :lol:
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fast Co. » Fri May 24, 2019 3:32 am

Fantastic!
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cgyracer » Fri May 24, 2019 5:51 am

Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext