[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - MID BC - new track build

MID BC - new track build

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: MID BC - new track build

Postby Audi1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:59 am

I used the same painting/sanding regimen (320 grit sanding sponge) and it came out smooth with just a slight micro-tooth feel to it. That surface will hook up rubber, urethane and silicone tires, as long as it's kept clean; so, IMO, a very useful surface to have on your track.

You chose tape over braid? If you don't mind me asking, what was the thinking that led you to that decision?

Track looks great, BTW.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cgyracer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:12 am

Thanks Allan, I was thinking of using braid initially but in the end I used copper tape after seeing another track’s copper tape condition on a track that is inside his home. Under controlled temperature and humidity conditions it seems to me that copper tape stays shiny and in good condition. On the other hand garage tracks (like my old track) that undergo wide temp fluctuations and humidy changes the copper tape seems to oxidize plus bubble and stretch in the summer heat.

Just my opinion, would be interesting what others feel about copper tape. In my home I’m thinking all will be well!

Note: I am installing three power tap feeds spaced out about 25 to 30 feet separation.

Rob
Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:57 am

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:12 pm

My 2 lane oval built over 12 years ago has copper tape and there haven't been any problems. The road course also has copper tape and is about 5 years old, also with no problems. Both tracks are in the heated loft area of the barn, but I usually turn the heat off for part of the year to save $ when the outside temperatures get down to sub-zero regions. The propane furnace will run non-stop when it's below zero outside just to keep the room around 50 degrees, so I haul all my paints and glues inside and turn it off. Such is life in central Maine.

All-in-all, my tracks (and cars) have repeated experienced temperatures from a few degrees below zero to upper 80's, and are doing well. I've never had reason to worry about going with copper tape instead of braid. I have wires running underneath the oval that connect upwards every 4 feet or so as power taps. On the 60 ft road course I have one power tape on the back straight, about halfway around.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby mattb » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:36 pm

Never had a problem with tape. 2nd track I built in 1985 is still in use and still has mostly original tape.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cgyracer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:22 pm

Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:14 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby SuperSlab » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:06 pm

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Radarek » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:12 pm

Radarek
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:43 am

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cgyracer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:48 pm

I had some time to work on the electrical side of the track build.

My sensors came in....I had to remove the connector and move it to the other side of the circuit board and solder the wires onto the newly moved connector so I would have more room for the 3/8" mdf so the sensor would sit flush with the track surface. On a couple sensors also removed the connector cleaned out the pads but soldered the wire direct onto the circuit board as well which also works

Left sensor is the non modified sensor. The Right side is a sensor that has the connector moved to the bottom.

Routed the slots for the sensor to sit snug inside

Sensors are held in place with straps. No movement in the sensors.

Copper taped and installed power taps in three locations on the track about 30 feet apart. I measured the track and it is 87 feet long.
I used the ol trench and solder method.

Drivers Stations all built. Standard three prong, 25 ohm brake pot, track call momentary button, and power indicator LED.

I decided to have all the cabling and electronics in one central cabinet. Will be a lot cleaner this way and no visitors kids yanking on wires or anything else!

The cabinet will house my terminal blocks for driver stations / track power, auxiliary 12v power supply for the Omron track call relays, Race Coordinator USB Arduino Uno board and Schneider Electric Solid State master power relay. The three Omron track call relays shut down power to individual lane for the purpose of a timed penalty. You crash, press your driver station track call button......the Omron timer relay shuts off the power to your lane for a pre-determined number of seconds as the rest of the race continues. The penalty time is adjusted on the front dial on the Omron Relay. The Schneider Electric Solid State Relay controls the power to the entire track for the purposes of end of race heat power off or when the race is paused.

When the track has power the Voltmeter on the front of the cabinet displays the voltage. I might need to install a fan but so far no heat. I will monitor.

So that's where I am at now! Track runs great by the way! Now I need to stop driving and build the skin around the track and bottom frame.

Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:52 pm

Brilliant! This is certainly craftsmanship of the highest order.
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:10 am

That will be a fun track to race on! Think I can appreciate the pull to run cars on this track right now; as opposed to finish off the details...………

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cgyracer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:01 pm

I bought a sheet of RubberPly today to start covering the outside of the track. I will be building and not driving.......see how it goes. Thanks for the comments so far.

Rob
Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:12 pm

"RubberPly" ? what is it? Is it a Canadian thing or do you think there's a southern equivalent?
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The Lumber Yard