[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Looking for a track design 14x6

Looking for a track design 14x6

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Looking for a track design 14x6

Postby Cincyslots » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:24 pm

I’m looking to put a small routed track in my basement. I would like a road course. I can probably extend if neede. Who has a design?

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Looking for a track design 14x6

Postby FC47 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:11 pm

How big of a 'table' can you go buddy?

edit. Oops, misinterpreted that one I guess
Last edited by FC47 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:39 pm

14x6?
My suggestion would be no more than 3 lanes to get the most of the space. Is that ok?
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby slothead » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:59 pm

slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Xr4ti » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:12 pm

url=http://s58.photobucket.com/user/Gruntfeeler/media/IMG_1045_zpsju8x7spb.jpg.html]Image[/url]

This was later changed to more of a paperclip, it was 16' x 5'.
Xr4ti
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:41 am

Food for thought, three lanes if 1/32 is the goal, two lanes if you want to run 1/24. My D124 C7R needs 7" of swing room, I routed my slots 4-1/4" apart too.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:57 pm

My plan was 3 lanes. I’m hoping I could use lane 1 and 3 for 1/24 cars.
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:22 pm

For my 1/32 tracks I have 2" inside gutter, 3 1/2" lane spacing, and 5 1/2" outside gutter. For 3 lanes and being able to run 1/24 scale cars in lanes 1 & 3 the inside and outside gutters (borders) will need to be a little bigger, probably 3" and 7". That gives you a total track width of 17". If the inside edge of a turn has a 7 inch radius (hairpin turn) lane 1 radius = 10", lane 2 radius = 13 1/2", lane 3 radius = 17", and outside edge of the turn (fence/wall) would have 24" radius. You could go a little tighter for 1 or 2 turns, but would want most turns to not be as tight, with an inner radius of 10" or more. A 12" radius turn (inside edge) would have a 29" outside edge radius, close to half the width of your table.

This will all work out fine with planning, which is why I recommend graph paper and pencil, as if you were laying out a kitchen or bathroom. I'm such a nerd for this type of stuff I'll gladly help with some designs if you have ideas about what you want regarding emphasis and balance. What would be some most important features - long straight, sweeping turn, hairpin turn, etc.? Will one or more sides be against a wall where you can't get at the track easily? If so, it's best to put the straight(s) there and put esses and a hairpin turn within easy reach.

Once you post an initial design idea you'll get feedback with hints and suggestions.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:29 pm

Well....War Eagle River is a little larger, but certainly provides some inspiration in terms of shape and flow with elevation....there are several other folks too....
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:08 pm

chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:53 am

Bruce,

4" lane spacing will work for 1/32nd and 1/24th, you won't need to only run the inside and outside lanes when you run 1/24th scale cars. Carrara track has 4" lane spacing as does the original American tracks from the 60's and my track.

I have 6" gutters on the outside of the turns and 3" gutters on the inside of the turns and they work pretty good but if you are going to make a real tight turn you might want to leave 3 1/2" gutters on the inside for 1/24th scale cars.
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby indybob009 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:37 am

How old are the racers that will mostly use the track. I find that simple designs work best for most even adults that do not get to race much. I found that a simple ovel or tri-oval or a track with not many turn keeps all racing instead of chasing their cars. Also a wood track has no magnetic down force which makes it a little hard for those that do not get race much.
indybob009

Postby Cincyslots » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:04 am

We all race weekly so their skills are good. An oval or tri-oval is far too boring. We would need a road course. I was hoping to see pics posted of similar tracks for ideas. ;)
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:01 am

This end of this track is nice - long straight leading into sweeping turn and then some bendy bits. The far end would need to be cut off but the circuit could be tied together neatly.

Here's an HO design that would seem to be faster.
It would be tight to fit a 3 lane 1/32 - 1/24 track in this space, but with a routed track it could be done and include some elevation changes.

This could be stretched out to be 14' long, and would have room for a pit area in the right side triangle.
You could have a lot of fun with varying radius turns routed on this design, and also incorporate elevation changes.

Lastly, think about what you want it to look like when done so it feels like racing on a real track.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Cincyslots » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:56 am

interesting, thanks for posting.
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard