I Have a Question - What Would You Build?

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: I Have a Question - What Would You Build?

Postby SpeedyNH » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:23 am

thanks!!
now i get it. you start each car on its own lap cicuit.
good luck passing if you catch up, though. maybe bumping off works- they can't let you by.
i like the table's garage function as well.
but is this the same track we were talking about? it's four lanes not three and i can't find the old pic to compare. four lanes, three loops- somebody's going to have to share.
and blowing it up, there sure is a long empty spot at crossover. ours were spaced enough so that each one only had a small dead zone. looks like real fun though.
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:30 pm

I would like to thank y'all for the comments, ideas, suggestions, etc.

Sometimes it is just so good to have a forum where you can toss out ideas and then listen to what everyone has to say. I find I can learn a lot that way, put a lot of the concepts into place and come up with a superior product. I think we now have a plan for the next track to some to DeBary Glen.

On Friday, we were 'running our slot cars' - a practice that was very prevalent back in the 60's. Typically most slot car raceways had a single lap counter and they moved it from track to track for races. Back then we only counted laps, there was no timing systems. When the lap counter was not hooked up, which was the majority of the time, you were on your own - you had to determine who had the best car, therefore we 'ran our slot cars' back then.

Today with all the lap timers / counters, it seems that every track has the ability to provide lap by lap details. I see some folks that take the lap times as a very good indicator to which car they should enter in a race. However I have seen so many time where the fastest car does not necessarily win the race, but the car with the highest number of laps always wins. There are those factors that make a great car that never shot up on a lap timer.

So during the 'running of slot cars' on Friday we were having any absolutle blast of running our Carrera stock cars around our Palm Bay MDF track. The nerfing quotient was running high as was the laughter and teasing of one another. You heard many quotes from "Days of Thunder" being thrown about, so it was easy to determine that everyone was having a grand time.

The subject of adding an 8 x 16 foot 'paperclip' was brought up for discussion. It was met with a lot of enthusiasm. At first we talked about building a 'portable' type of track as we already have two tracks in our building and I would say our floor space is at about 80% occupancy. One of our members makes a lot of metal bracketry in his business, so he came up with an idea about mounting the oval on top of our Palm Bay track.

Stay tuned as we might be starting this project pretty soon.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby SpeedyNH » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:34 pm

hi Marty,
i've never seen a pic of the 'palm bay mdf'. is it in the back left corner? i liked running on the scaley track when i was over.
speedy
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby The Old Jaybird » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:55 am

The 4 lane bullring, Sawdust Speedway was built by Woody, I think he is in Ohio somewhere.....Cincy/Dayton?? The original 3 lane bullring was built by Luf Linkert probably 10 years or more ago. Woody added a lane and made the table bigger. I think Luf's original was only 3x6 feet. Check the Old slot racer website for pics of Luf's track.

TOJ
The Old Jaybird

Postby SpeedyNH » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:21 pm

thanks! but it's still not the track i'm looking for. wish i could find the pic. one i'm thinking of was three lanes and a lot tighter.
speed
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to The Lumber Yard