American Graffiti 1962 - Update 09/17 WIP Mel's Diner

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: American Graffiti Track - 1962 - Update 10/23 Up & Runni

Postby ShotgunDave » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:46 pm

So glad to see you making progress Greg. I can't wait until you get going on scenery!
ShotgunDave
Connoisseur of Rust

Postby dreinecke » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:01 pm

Holy cow! Now that is what I call an update!!! Wow! I'm so happy to see it all works so well.

For a guy that says he's not technical you sure blew this one away. Very impressive electrical work and the switchgear.

The entire thing looks like a quality effort !!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby MoparGreg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:29 pm

Thanks for the comments.

Shotgun - Progress is slow but it is progress. Yes looking forward to scenery, it will be fun.

David R - Yeah I suprised myself with the electrical. I will say I had a few moments where I pushed the track back in the corner as it was doing my head in. After a few days relief & a bit of thought I got back into it. Im very happy with it so far. Im suprised the cars dont even make a noise going over the flippers. All you can hear is the flipper actuating with a click noise back & forth as the flipper moves. As you can tell Im stoked with those lane changers working

As a side note, there seems to be alot of Davids on the forum these days lol :)
Thanks
Greg
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Great!!!! Good to see it's moving forward.

Perhaps poured concrete rather than a bitumen/asphalt type look for the diner area.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby RazorJon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:17 am

Looks good Greg, this is going to be a cool track when its all done

RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby MoparGreg » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:17 am

Embs - Yeah poured concrete is what I was thinking. In the centre of the track will be the diner, a garage & a hotrod shop or a used car lot. Im planning different shades of concrete throughout the different places, maybe some asphalt. Im going to wait until I start the scenery to decide the finer details like the surface. Other than the diner my plan is a little loose, so I may change things up :)

Jon - Yeah I hope so, long way to go though
Thanks
Greg
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:43 am

very Nice work!!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ListerStormGT » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:37 pm

Greg, very cool and also glad to see you making progress on it again. Sometimes you have to take a step back once in awhile to get your head back into it. This will be a great track when finished.
Lee Wright, Florida
Building the AAR

Slot It... "The equivalent to a Harry Wise tuned car right out of the case"
ListerStormGT
I'm Pitbull!

Postby MoparGreg » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks again for the comments. Its all up to the scenery now to bring it together.

We were running the track again last night. This track is a blast to run. We were testing it out to see how even the lanes are. Both the inside & the outside lanes are about the same length so there is no advantage to choosing the inside or the outside lane at the lane changer. Around the outside you can run a bit more speed but its slightly longer. The inside is tighter, more corner, so less speed but a shorter distance. We have had a few hairy moments, near misses where the lanes come together. From what we have tested you can overtake either on the outside or inside, BUT either way you have to nail each corner perfectly to get ahead of the other person over the whole lap. It really is fun, just a different concept to either analog or digital.
Thanks
Greg
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:55 pm

Great work on the lane changers. I'll probably be picking your brain on that when I begin my road coarse this winter. In some areas I may only have one lane so you have to wait to pass or at least want to be able to choose the driving lane when racing. How do the cars handle with the AC2car setup? I'm hoping it makes acceleration more realistic.

If you are still looking for a way to make fencing or borders that will be sturdy but not break off when leaned on, consider attaching them to a base and then hold the base in place with magnets. You can embed strong rare earth button magnets in the track surface and then glue metal washers to the base. The magnets will be strong enough to hold the fence or barrier in place, and still give way before enough force is applied to break the fence. I have a non-magnet wood track and now have some cars with magnets as body mounts that don't come loose on their own but are easy to pull apart when needed without a screw driver. And if the body mount floats a little you can still create a tuned effect for handling.

Slothead
slothead
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:13 am

slothead wrote:Great work on the lane changers. I'll probably be picking your brain on that when I begin my road coarse this winter. In some areas I may only have one lane so you have to wait to pass or at least want to be able to choose the driving lane when racing. How do the cars handle with the AC2car setup? I'm hoping it makes acceleration more realistic.Slothead

Trust me, it does. I have been running AC now for 3 years. On a tight course like mine, it is a huge improvement. People can argue this all day long, and I'm no electrician, but at the end of the day - everyone that drives my track raves about the power. I don't run the 2 Car setup, just 1 per lane. Same concept though, and same wiring.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:20 pm

Nice work Greg!
Mike
Beautiful Mendocino County, CA
http://www.mendorailhistory.org/
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi slothead - Yeah the cars run different on AC compared to DC. A big change is there is no brakes on AC. If you like big brakes on your cars where they stop on a dime AC wont be for you. Just disconnect the brakes on your DC setup for a taste. I wasnt sure I was going to like no brakes but once I got used to it I like to better. You have to roll into the corner rather then lifting off an inch before the corner. I like it much better & dont run brakes any longer on my oval track.

The other difference is the cars accelerate differently. On DC the cars accelerate very quickly, almost an on/off. On AC the cars accelerate with less torque. Overall the cars are much more controllable. Some cars that were a pig to drive on DC are much nicer to drive on AC

Now thats just my opinion & AC is not for everyone. Ive had a few people ask why use AC when you have all these great digital setups available, scorpious/oxygen etc. Digital is not what I wanted & the big thing is the price. There has been very little cost setting this up. No digital chips needed just a 50cent diode.
Thanks
Greg
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:11 pm

That is coming along beautifully!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby ShotgunDave » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:42 pm

Hey Greg, haven't had an update in a while. How's the build going? Really looking forward to when you start the scenery.
ShotgunDave
Connoisseur of Rust

PreviousNext

Return to The Lumber Yard