[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Wood Track - Layout Software?

Wood Track - Layout Software?

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Wood Track - Layout Software?

Postby rsoward » Mon May 05, 2014 3:32 pm

I have used Ultimate Racer 3.0 for my SSD layout designs.

Starting to plan a wood track design and layout software would help.

Planning on a size of 4'x12' MDF.

Any suggestions?

Also looking for layout designs for that size track.

Thanks,

Ryan
rsoward

Re: Wood Track - Layout Software?

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon May 05, 2014 4:36 pm

This is something I feel no software can really do well. A wood track needs a more personal touch. Once your table is built then you can start laying it out using paper sketches to get the feel you want.

But you can edit Ultimate Racer to closely mimic what you have in mind, then when it's time you can make the corrections by hand.

There are advanced CAD users that do it, and have seen some of the designs. But, it takes a big wallet for the software and a whole lot of brain power. Both I am lacking.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby SRQSloter » Mon May 05, 2014 4:48 pm

What Harry said. The only software I know is some graph paper a rule and drawing compass. I just did a 4x12.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5028 May give you some ideas.

:handgestures-thumbup:
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Mon May 05, 2014 6:29 pm

You could try Google SketchUp. Not sure how hard it is to use as I've not tackled it yet. But it's free. And can also be used to produce DXF files if you were looking to head down the CNC routing route.

Actually looking to get some things cleared off the 'to do' list so that I can spend some time with the software. I have access to a man with a laser cutter and I want to play.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby rsoward » Mon May 05, 2014 7:08 pm

CAD wont be a problem. I have an undergrad degree in Technical Graphics which included CAD.

Now just have to figure out the layout and the maximum space I have to work with in the garage.

Thanks for helping everyone,

Ryan
rsoward

Postby Dangermouse » Tue May 06, 2014 1:48 am

Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Oscar Racing » Tue May 06, 2014 7:44 am

Dangermouse, what is the footprint of that track?
Oscar Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby rsoward » Tue May 06, 2014 7:52 am

Here is my first try at a track layout using CAD.

Not sure I am sold on the layout. This layout is based on the picture below.

Question on the CNC, I understand the process using a CAD file. But who do you guys go to for the CNC work? I guess I am not sure who to contact in my area with a CNC machine.

Thanks,

Ryan
rsoward

Postby Greenjo2 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:20 am

There are additional track libraries availble for free that you can download into UR 3.0 that allow you to design wooden tracks. They have 1/24, 1/32, 1/43 and 1/64 scale libraries available. It also gives you the ability to vary track width, lane spacing and adjust the size of track pieces. You can also export your final design into a CAD file that could be sent to a CNC operator.

We use a CNC guy in the metro detroit area here in Michigan, not sure where your at. You could look for sign makers in your area that use a CNC machine, the guy we use makes most of his cash making signs, we only offer him a little extra income for making our tracks.
Greenjo2

Postby rsoward » Tue May 06, 2014 11:30 am

Here is another idea for a 11.5' x 4.5' track.

I really like the photo example below.

Any additional reference photo websites and suggestions are welcome!

I want a fast straight away with some technical. I have small children and I want them to have fun racing on it.

Thanks for all the help,

Ryan
rsoward

Re: Wood Track - Layout Help

Postby rsoward » Tue May 06, 2014 3:20 pm

Ok... I think I found the layout I want to build.

Removed the bridge and made the layout a bit more flat.

Again have the CAD file and the inspiration of a real track.

Criticism welcome...

Thanks,

Ryan
rsoward

Postby Dangermouse » Wed May 07, 2014 4:18 am

That track was made to fit in a storage part of a garage it is 5.5m x 2m

Those tracks all look good Ryan, lots of good ideas there - personally I like elevations - in some ways I wish I had put more elevation into my current track.

Flat tracks have benefits but there is something sweet about watching cars climb up or wind down a hill :)
If I was doing that track I would elevate the back straight nice climb up from the big corner and then work my way down through the esses
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard