[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Palmer Divide Raceway (PDR) v3.0 Updated 02/18/2015

Palmer Divide Raceway (PDR) v3.0 Updated 02/18/2015

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: Palmer Divide Raceway (PDR) v3.0

Postby ourwayband » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:56 pm

ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:51 pm

Rusty - first coat went well. No real smell, unlike Bondo, and it went on easy. The sanding is very quick and outside of a few minor places, did everything in one coat. I also added some wood to widen one of my corners and it worked perfectly blending that in.

I'm using a Lionel #1033 90 Watt transformer. Works perfectly.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby RichD » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:25 am

The info on AC2Car is here: http://ac2car.org/?page_id=6
Each controller has a diode wired in series with it and the diodes are wired in opposite directions. The cars will not be seeing pure DC, this is actually half wave rectification, so each car will be getting half of the original AC wave form. Which half of the wave form the car will use is depandant on which way the diode in the car is pointed. I do not see any way that you could wire an AC2Car track for brakes. With my own cars I only use a little brake, however I have encountered a number of proxy cars that needed full brakes, those would not be as happy on an AC2Car track with several longer straights.
A 90 watt train transformer should have enough power for any sort of 1/32nd car unless you are using regular 16D type motors. A variable transformer like a Powerstat or Variac would also work well, they are expensive but the do turn up on ebay from time to time.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: caution-

Postby SpeedyNH » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:57 pm

careful about using an autotransformer like a Variac without an isolation transformer, or you'll end up with one side of the supply tied to neutral. which is near, but not actually at, ground. (or worse yet, if it's not polarized correctly, the line side!)
I've got some good stories about people mixing non-isolated neutrals or worse, the rectified ac line itself, and ground and finding out the hard way (good that is, because they didn't actually get killed.) I actually own a nice commercial 5A isolation xfmr for the bench, when I want to do things like that.
a little 1A Variac and a step-down transformer is a nice safe way to get variable, low Voltage ac, especially if you already have one. Variable, ac-out power supplies exist as well, but they're even pricier. seems to me that old Lionel transformers are the easiest thing, if they go high enough. if not, and they have enough current and you get 'em phased correctly (which is pretty easy), you can even stack 'em up (in series) to get more out.
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:21 pm

The PDR doesn't look like such a wreck now with the new base coat of paint. Smells like progress!

I'll let it dry a few days and then perform the asphalt looking steps. I still need to buy tape!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Good old Durham's Rockhard. That stuff goes back to 1924. When I moved my folks in '07, my grandfather's toolbox was in the attic, and it had a tin of Durham's in it. Still dry, and I bet if I had time, I could have mixed some up and used it. That toolbox hadn't been uncovered in 54 years at least.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby ListerStormGT » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:04 pm

Looking good Dave, starting to come to life now!
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby baford1 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:15 pm

looking good David

Richard
baford1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:36 pm

Track is now painted to resemble asphalt and has been taped! I even ran cars around with a 9v battery making car sounds.

My wife still thinks I'm a child. I've no idea why...

Power tomorrow night if all goes well!!!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:45 pm

I think the 9 volt test is mandatory :)

Sounds great Doc!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby scatman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:54 pm

Looking good. Did you record the car sounds?
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SRQSloter » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:24 am

Track is looking great David. :handgestures-thumbup:
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:13 am

David,

When I was in elementary school, yes Dwight D. Eisenhower was the president back then, our Principal had a little ditty that she always used. It went:

Considering that it is still actively running around my brain cells after almost 60 years, that Principal and her ditty must have made an impression on me.

Obviously you have heard the same ditty as you made something that was good, just a bit better and now you are taking it to the land of "Best".

Great job!
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:09 am

A couple of the principals in my past made impressions on my butt!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 am

They ALWAYS aim for the part you use best! :D
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

PreviousNext

Return to The Lumber Yard