[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - The River Run - Beginnings

The River Run - Beginnings

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: The River Run - Beginnings

Postby Audi1 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:34 pm

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun May 03, 2015 2:12 am

Definitely looking good!
Won't be long until you can start running test laps from the looks of it! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Audi1 » Sun May 03, 2015 4:01 am

Thanks Todd. I'm going to need help with the track harness, the Trackmate timing set-up, the light bridge gantry and the computer/monitor hook-ups. Fortunately, I think, there's a rescue plan in place for me........................... :pray:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sun May 03, 2015 2:47 pm

50% of the track is braided. At 4 hours//section, which is my pace, its going to be about 16 hours to get this track braided. More than I expected, but what hasn't been that so far............? Fun though! Somehow it just doesn't feel like work......... :banana-dance:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sun May 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Wow! What a great looking track! Who designed and routed that? :D

As for the scenery and braiding, Allan, you're doing a marvelous job! :dance:

I'll bet Marty is very proud of you right now. In fact, I think she should take you to Hodgie's for one of those ice cream cones you like... :lol:
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby Audi1 » Mon May 04, 2015 4:58 am

Thanks Dickie. Can't seem to remember the designer or router (or the person who constructed the table), but he must have been pretty good.......... Maybe I can find him in this thread, somewhere............... :lol:

Funny you should mention Hodgies.................I managed to find my way there yesterday and, yup, I was directed to go there with a "you deserve a Hodgies for that", from Marty........... Not bad, huh?

For the rest of you; here's Hodgies:

http://www.hodgies.com/aboutus.asp

Check out the video on the home page!

:text-threadjacked:

OK, I'm going to hijack my own thread! When I was in High School, I used to work Summers scooping ice cream. I worked at a place called Wasmaco; it was a competitor of Hodgies (which was then called Delaney's; we're talking mid-60's here). Delaney's became Hodgies in 1984. Before that my mother can remember getting ice cream there when she was a girl (she's 94 today.......and still enjoys a Hodgie Cup of mocha chip; she's been 4 times this season already!), at that time it was called "The Hat". So, Hodgies has been around for 4 generations now.

Here's the story. Both Hodgies (Delaney's) and Wasmaco were located on the "beach road"; the road that accessed Salisbury, Seabrook and Hampton Beaches for those who lived in the larger cities in MA. It used to be bumper-to-bumper around 5:00PM on the weekends and we were located 5 miles from the beaches! People would peel off out of the traffic lines to freshen up with some ice cream at either Delaney's or Wasmaco. The lines were sometimes 25 deep at all of the windows; no lie.

The place the served the bigger cones had more business. We served the bigger cones. The customers really benefitted; can you imagine, two ice cream companies competing for business based on the size of the cones that they served?? It's an ice cream lovers dream come true! But that was 50's and 60's America.

If you watch the Hodgies video on the Home Page, you'll see the ice cream containers that we used to use and that they still use; 20 gallon steel cylinders with sharp-edged tops. We used to nick the knuckles on our scoopping hand fingers fairly frequently, but that was OK, there was always a running water tray just below the window where we could wash off the scoop and our knuckles..............

One day, I served a man a vanilla cone (I think it was one of about 12; we used to have a contest to see how many cones we could hold in one hand, scoop the ice cream and get it back to the customer, we were usually in the double digit numbers of cones.........) About 10 minutes later, he came back to the window and said: "I'd like another one of those cherry vanilla cones". Well, cherry vanilla wasn't a flavor that we carried; we carried just plain vanilla.............. So, I looked down at my finger and, sure enough, it was bleeding. So, that's were his cherry vanilla cone came from............. :o :lol:

Grasping that as only a 16 year old can, I quickly replied: "sorry sir, we just ran out of cherry vanilla..........can I get you something else?"

And now..............back to the track building thread..................................

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Mon May 04, 2015 5:16 am

Quick thinking there, Dr Cone.
Hodgies has been so successful that there's a Hodgies II near Salisbury Beach, which we usually hit a few times each summer. The portions are amazing.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:01 am

You rang...................?

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Mon May 04, 2015 8:19 am

Great story Allan! can you imagine that happening today? folks would blow a gasket! times were much simpler back then.
It reminds me of working at a privately owned pizza parlor, and getting into a fun fight with 5lb blocks of cheese in the cooler.
But that is another story........
Thanks for sharing that

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Audi1 » Mon May 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Simpler, for sure, Bob! And, without trying to sound too old...............maybe, better, too..................

By the way, the track is now 3/4th's braided. Off to get some Sintra (white PVC) for the infield and perimeter walls.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:47 am

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Tue May 05, 2015 12:45 pm

Looking great Allan, can't wait for Roar to hit the track.
Should be a lot of fun. I think by the time the Roar cars have come and gone
the track should be well rubbered in lol
Bob C
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Audi1 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Rubber??? I thought this was a nitrocellulose race..................? :lol:
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:45 pm

WHAT??????????
No obligatory video showing the car running with the 9V battery? As one who has built his own track I have to say that was a real milestone......getting to see the cars run the first laps.

Come on, Allan......I have been waiting to see a lap or three!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:00 pm

bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The Lumber Yard