New track New Questions

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

New track New Questions

Postby cantstopnow » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:36 pm

So I am currently putting my tables back up. It will be 5' X 12'. I will be resurfacing it. I planned on MDF but my budget is very tight. Still on disability. I have read where people are useing particle board with great results. I don't want a argument here, just what have you used and how did it work for you. The cost saving could add up over MDF. Thanks John W.
cantstopnow
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: New track New Questions

Postby RazorJon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:00 pm

with all the hard work you have done I would stick with the MDF what is the cost difference?
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby rbianchi » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:17 pm

I have not worked with particle board in track building but it may work fine. Just remember to seal it very well on all surfaces as it does like to absorb moisture. Use good sharp tools to get a clean cut and paint/seal the slot well. Keep posting and we'll all help you out.

Bob B.
rbianchi

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:40 pm

It wasn't that long ago we were talking about this. Bibbster has done both recently, and he has all the answers you need. Do you know how to look up his posts?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby turbokev » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:45 pm

The table is an odd size to use 4x8 sheets..2 sheets of MDF can do it with a couple seams, 3 would be better.
Three parts that are 5 x 4 and the leftovers could be used for shelves or to trim the edge of the table..
Sheets of 3/8 MDF are about 21 dollars each here.. particle board is much cheaper, but I wouldn't use it myself.
I'm sure it 'could' be used with sealers and sanding etc, but MDF is smooth, easy to route, doesn't suck up and swell
the paint when you paint the grooves or surface.. You should be able to build re-surface and paint it for $50 - $75
depending on if you use 2 or 3 sheets..
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cantstopnow » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:52 pm

Thanks for the responces guys, but the routed track will have to wait. After long talk with My Wife Doni I have to agree with her that I am not ready physicaly ready to do it. With my restrictions shes does not want me to get half way through and not be able to finish it. My PT agrees. The fiscal part also, not just the wood but paint, primer, copper tape ect. So right now I have a 4X8 table with 4 lane scally with a 4X4 table being ready to add on this week. I will start a build thread with pics in the proper thread. John W.
cantstopnow
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cantstopnow » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:21 pm

Thank You Dave. After a painfull PT today I am taking a rest then will go and get a lane running. And a oval, That will be a first for me!!
cantstopnow
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard