[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Which plastic track is good to use ?

Which plastic track is good to use ?

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Which plastic track is good to use ?

Postby dan1955 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:58 am

I am in the setting up stages of my track. I am looking to do a road course similar to road America or infurion or possibily something with evelation changes. have read that Carreara track is best but want more info on whichbwould be easier to work with.

any and all help is appreciated

Dan
dan1955

Re: Which plastic track is good to use ?

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:04 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Z-carfan » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:38 am

I have to agree with Harry, Carrera is your best option. I have owned Carrera, Scalextric and SCX. While Scalextric gives a little more room to make a track (size) it is not as wide as Carrera, and that makes a huge difference for running cars. More slide room without having to add borders and the added ability to run 1/24 is a bonus.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby glasshorsevh » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:18 am

I believe it depends on how much table space you have. I could only have a 4.5 ft x 9.5 ft space, so I went with Scalextric and was able to get 37ft in each lane ( only 3in difference). If I had more room to work with, I would have gone Carrera because of the reasons above mentioned, but I am very happy with what I have for 1/32 scale.

Val
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:43 am

I run Ninco track; I like it because it is flexible and forgiving. Some don't care for the rough surface but I am ambivalent about it. It's not as wide as Carrera but wider than Scalextric. I've gotten good service out of it and probably won't change until I go to wood. Having said that, if I had it to do over I would probably go with Carrera. There, how's that for sitting on the fence? :lol:
Whichever way you go, you will find tons of support here.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:49 pm

It had to happen sometime, I guess. Sarge and I finally found something to disagree on...

I have experience with everything from Riggen/Revell to the current stuff, and if you go plastic, there is nothing like Carrera- IF you are not a magnet guy. Carrera contacts are stainless and less magnetic and conductive than others (which might corrode under adverse conditions). That's why they use higher volt ratings for the motors and power supplies. If you want to run with magnets (which I don't advise), you may sacrifice the better quality track and track surface of Carrera. I really dislike Ninco track surface, and I avoid it. For me, its just an excuse to sell replacement tires.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby TsgtRet » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:44 pm

TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:16 pm

All good points...BUT - the track you can get your hands on is the best. What is your budget is also a determining factor.

Got a garage sale Revell find? Get it. Strombecker from the thrift store? That'll do.

The best track is the one you have.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:18 pm

Dave brings up a good point. If you get a deal on something, use it, and save for a whole track of the kind you really want.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby RazorJon » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:50 am

Carrera is the only plastic track for me, and it is a little bigger, but look at the track Harry and his grandson built, its small and compact, the kid can carry the track by himself, and its a lot of fun. With all the options and support these days,Carrera is your best option
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby mattb » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:46 pm

No bad answers, but over 45 years and using all tracks I have, I'd say Carrera is the best, has the most options, fits 1/24 scale (me), and seems to be in use by the majority. Next up, the old Revell or Monogram is probably best. Wider lane spacing then other 1/32 track, easily available on Ebay or from collectors and cheaper then anything else that is new. Biggest problem is getting clean track and making connections. Aurora 1/32 (first version) is maybe even better, but a little harder to find and outside curves seem to not be available. Revell and Mon outside curves are easy to find. All these tracks have a deep slot with room for commercial guide flags. Aprons are also fairly easy to find for Rev and Mono.

Artin is probably next, but harder to find now that they have quit making it. Scalex Sport would be next on my list, but from Sport on down the tracks are too narrow to suit me.

I'll take a pass on anything digital.

Just my opinion.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby goosenapper » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:09 pm

I have about a 9x5 foot area in which to set up track, and own both Carrera and Scalectric Sport. That space is enough for either a rather dull Carrera layout or a somewhat interesting Sport set-up. In my estimation, the Carrera takes up a massive amount of space compared to Sport, and that's probably due to Sport being exclusively 1/32 scale and offering tighter turn radii.

When it comes to track quality, Carrera wins without question. The seemingly corrosion-proof rails are a giant plus over the Sport. I had a Carrera track up for about a year, broke it down to switch back to Sport, and then spent a day scraping black gunk off the Scalextric rails before re-assembling my layout. I have high-humidity in my house, and it doesn't agree with Sport. Carrera track doesn't seem to care.

If elevation changes are what you are going for, then Sport has Carrera beaten easily. You can bend and flex Sport a great degree. Carrera tends to break if you approach it with the same tactic. You can angle a Sport straight section slightly up or down, and generally there isn't an issue as long as your cars aren't bottoming out at the track connection. If you want to change elevation in Carrera, you must buy special track pieces that don't seem to be found in their sets anymore. (part # 20587)

If space is not an issue, Carrera track is my preferred option- I'd use it exclusively if I had more room just because it is made very well and offers the ability to drive multiples scales. It wins on solid track connections and stainless steel rails. But for me, space is a killer, so Sport is my go-to home track now. Their are pluses and minuses to both brands. Check ebay and hope to be lucky enough to find someone selling their collection. Second-hand plastic track is generally found at low cost, unless it's digital.
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Xr4ti » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:49 pm

Xr4ti
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dan1955 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:56 am

The space I have is 9 ft x 8 ft. with some wiggle room if needed. Can add some length if needed. It will be in my attic. I have narrowed the track layout to 3. Road America, Montreal, Petite Le Mans, Road Atlanta. Did I say three.....lol....
I have read that you can't run certain car on different makers tracks. Some are brand specific. I do like the older road courses but hard to find the track plan and elevations for them.

any and all help is appreciated.

Dan
dan1955

Postby dan1955 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:00 am

I read the article by Harry about artin track and sets. Wanted to try that but are they still available...?
Ninco looks good to but is it available. I live in central ny and not sure where to get these sets and track....
dan1955

Next

Return to Layout Planning & Design