it all starts with a good base

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

it all starts with a good base

Postby chappy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:35 pm

http://www.lowes.com/pd_649692-52862-K2 ... 404012#img

As many of you know my basement track was victim of a flood and along with many other things stored in the hobby room was torn out and now residing at the local dump.
So the basement is back to concrete walls , concrete floor , and no play area.
I have been looking around to find a way to get back on track if you please.
With the basement opened up and the flood fixed and basement pretty much dried out and clean of any mildew, I wanted away to build without worrying about any moisture or dampness, and somethi g I could change easily if I wanted to. Well here is a link I found , and ended up getting 2 of these .
Each unit takes a 4x8 and supports 3000, yes 3000 lbs. Height 30 inches, perfect.
A subframe can be used for putting your base sheet on , and if you ever need to move or disassemble this is a lot easier.
Have a look at the link, and watch the video to only 1 minute long. There is also a smaller version
2 x4 I believe, but even if bridging , you can go bigger than 4 x 8. Overhangs would be no issue with these even if you want to add a couple of legs to the overhang to increase the size.
So I have a start anyway.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Re: it all starts with a good base

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:37 pm

Nice find. I could even climb on that (barely) :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby mattb » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:56 pm

That would be a great item to set up in the carport when working with plywood or some job that requires a big table instead of a workbench. Lot better than a shet of plywood balanced between a saw horse and a pick up truck tailgate! That may be on my short list.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:44 pm

Interesting. Sheet rock (drywall) guys use something similar, but that's almost twice as wide.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby chappy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:05 pm

The nice thing is that there are add ons available to raise the height another 6 inches to 36 if you like, and it dosent change the structural strength. Also X clamps for putting 2x4s in place, and overhangs will work. This started as one of those online start upswhere you could invest in the company.
I dare say this one worked out quite well. I will post some pics as my build moves forward.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:15 pm

That's pretty cool Bob. I sent a link to my model train club homies to see if they could come up with a use for something like this.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:00 am

One problem with the Centipede is that you would not be able to store large items under the track. Considering the flooding issue I expect that you would not be eager to store much under the table in any case. I do not live in an area that is prone to flooding, but years ago we got 24 hours where it rained as much as it possibly could and almost everyone that I knew got at least a little water in their basement. Considering that my table has lifting rings with matching hooks on the floor joists, so the table can be hoisted up to the ceiling if necessary.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:23 am

Right on both counts Rich. I will no longer be storing things on the floor.
The shape of the frame holds up to 10 inch poly pipe in the ads I've seen , but boxes would be a different matter. On this build I will paint the concrete walls, and then put rigid insulation on them.
The floor will be the new style of vapour and moisture proof interlock which give about a 1 inch rise.
But that will be set on a newly poured self leveling slurry floor mix.
You really dont realize how much you miss simple things until they are gone.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Return to Layout Planning & Design