Width Carrera borders

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Width Carrera borders

Postby Burrell » Tue May 31, 2016 11:38 am

I'm reworking my Carrera track and have some factory borders, but I will also be making some of my own. I understand the width of the outside borders is needed for sliding, but how important are the inside borders? In making my own, do you think that I could decrease the width of the inside ones? I was thinking about half the width of the factory borders. Any suggestions?
Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Width Carrera borders

Postby Broman62 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:50 am

With my newer experience with Carrera track, unless you're using the factory insides for "S" curves or squiggly's where you may need the width, I think half would be ok for just about anywhere else... I think they are mostly for austhetics...JMHO!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Width Carrera borders

Postby DrumPhil » Tue May 31, 2016 3:45 pm

Do you run 1/24 or just 1/32? The 1/24 cars obviously need more space. Like Broman said, the places where you most need inside borders is in back-and-forth esses and inside tight hairpin curves.

If you have a single 60-degree curve between straights, probably a half-width border would be fine. If your curve is 180 degrees or more, you need a little more inside border, especially for 1/24 cars.

Also, if you run full magnets, your cars won't slide around as much and won't need much inside border. Without magnets, cars will swing around more and need more borders both inside and outside.
DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Layout Planning & Design