Track Elevation - height and paint

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Track Elevation - height and paint

Postby Burrell » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:22 am

I'm revising my track and think that I've decided on the final layout for my Carrera plastic digital track.

I am going to have different elevations in it for interest and to fit a bit more track in. I've looked through past threads, but I'd like some feedback on people who have done this before. I know that many have built hill climbs, so your feedback would be valuable as well.

Is there a recommended maximum height to run track, or a recommended uphill grade not to exceed?

Also, when testing the track, I'm spinning a bit, so is there a recommended paint that offers better grip for going uphill?

Right now I'm just going with trial and error and experimenting with the elevations, but I'd love to hear any recommendations.
Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Track Elevation - height and paint

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:12 pm

I elevated my track enough to ensure I had clearance to run other scales. My layout and buildings are 143. However I modifed the track so I could run my Old Cox 124 scale cars when I felt like it. This meant I needed enough clearance to ensure the bigger scale cars would clear the overpass. No scale I run has had any trouble on the grade this created. So in my case the elevation was created for a purpose, and not to just elevate the track. With some of the hill climb courses I have seen, I think you will be golden if you stick with moderate road course elevation changes for scenic effect.

I painted my track with a Flat latex of different shades of Gray. Each coat was applied light enough to allow the previous coat to show through. It gives the track a good ashphalt appearance.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:07 am

I think it depends on the look you want. Most tracks do not have cliffs but I created those once before changing how my elevations were. I've got a full track build here if it helps: http://rmsresins.com/routing--track-paint.html

There are multiple menu pages to show the stages.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby racer1h » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:38 am

I did a pretty steep hill section......painted Carrera, 12volts, no spinning tire issue. It was a great addition to the track and fun to drive. about 2 feet of total rise.
Go for it!
racer1h
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Layout Planning & Design