[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Riverside International Raceway

Riverside International Raceway

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Riverside International Raceway

Postby Fitzy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:43 pm

After seeing the photo's of dreinecke building his new track shaped like Riverside International I got a little interested in the history of that track quick search on amazon for book about riverside I found exactly what I was looking for I can't put it down!! best $35 I ever spent on a book I would really like to build a track like this I was thinking on using Scalextric 4 lane to do it anyone have any plans or ideas for what track system to use? I have roughly 7' x 20' area to do it in.

Fitzy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Riverside International Raceway

Postby WB2 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:15 pm

9' x 25' from Electric Dreams: http://www.electricdreams.com/slotcar-n ... de9x25.jpg

Model Car Racing shows a number of Riverside layouts, but, without digging the magazines out, I can't vouch for their accuracy. Most of his plans take great liberty with the real course.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:39 am

I would think 20 X 7 would be enough room for Scalex track. I also think it is nice plan for scale raceway. If I had a racing group that could build 1/32 scale cars I would be happy with something like this in 1/32. I would forget plans and just layout your track and see what you come up with. I think there is nice Riverside track that I have seen pix of on one of the sites. If I can find it, I will post the pix here.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:44 am

riverside.jpg

This is the track that looks to be about 20X7 and a nice design.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:51 am

My version is 20x7 feet. I did take some liberties with the layout as it won't be a full replica. The issue with this size is getting the elevations correct into turn 7. I didn't feel my section had enough length to do it justice so I left it alone.

The pic of Mine Smalley's version in Carrera track is also a good version and he's done a great job with the elevations considering it is plastic track and is a bit harder to manipulate.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby WB2 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:07 am

The track submitted by mattb is Carrera.
It uses some custom cut pieces to achieve the banking and, I believe, one turn (info provided to me by track owner).

http://www.farroutslotcars.com/Tracks-M ... ceway.html
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Austin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:16 pm

This is What I have been working on

Riverside Ca 1966

Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VenturaAlfa » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Austin, that looks great. Les Richter would like it. Just for your reference turn 9 was banked and it was an uphill run into turn 6 and a downhill run into 7. The other odd thing I rarely see in any reference for the track is that at the end of the straight before going into 9 (the dragstrip) the track actually jogged to the left, then a very short straight, then into the bank at 9.

A driver by the name of Jim Cook that I idolized was almost killed at the NASCAR race I was at as very young man when he didn't make the jog at the end of the straight and hit a huge block (may tons) of concrete that was off the track some distance but straight ahead off of what was the drag strip straight that jogged left into 9. It took them 4 hours to cut him out of the car and his injuries ended his racing career although he did live.

I never got to race there but did walk the entire track prior to it being torn down for a shopping mall that was never built.

Your version looks great.
VenturaAlfa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby olddude13 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:57 pm

We are doing a Riverside build book looks great

18 x8
olddude13

Postby mattb » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:59 pm

All good. Some nice tracks. Riverside makes a nice slotcar track. I would probably leave out the "S" curves or minimize them. Most of the guys I race with would deslot every lap!!!

It's a shame we lost Riverside to civilization.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Quickcars » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:37 am

Several years ago I owned the vintage Monogram "Riverside " set. It was a nice layout with 1/24 scale cars and inside and outside borders all around.

Sells for a pretty penny these, that's if you can find one.

I really like the layout you've done. Looks like a fun and challenging drive.
Quickcars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:14 pm

I finally found the Riverside book by Dick Wallen from a used seller for a fairly reasonable price. I think 20 something. It is a great read and tells of building the track and has a synopsis of every racing series that was run there. Stock cars, trans am, Canam, drag racing, all are listed year by year with results. It is filled with great pictures. It was listed as having writing in it and not mint. When I got it the writing turned out to be autographs from many of the people that worked or raced at Riverside, Shelby, Gurney, PJ Jones and others.

Scan0064.jpg

Scan0067.jpg

Keep up the good work on these Riverside tracks and post your pix. Probably my favorite track and these are great builds.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:51 pm

WOW!!! nice score on the book! I'd take it with that writing for $20 any day!!
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Layout Planning & Design