[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - My next track is now in progress.

My next track is now in progress.

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Re: My next track is now in progress.

Postby mattb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:40 pm

We all have our preferences, since I'm not much of a driver or are my racer friends, I always like a track with some curves, but not something that looks like spaghetti thrown on the wall. I think a lot of guys make a mistake (my opinion) by trying to get too many feet of track in the area that have to work with. would probably be better (my opinion) to get a track that flows better and is maybe a bit easier to drive.

Here is the track I have been working on. It is 4 inch lane centers for 1/24. I tried to work out max speed by the long straight into a nice bank. Then uphill to the overpass. Cars can't take this at full speed and you go downhill to the flat curve at the other end. So while you have a nice speed section, you also better back out and drive the uphill, downhill and flat curve at the other end. Being a figure 8, no driver has a lane advantage by much. I also built it so that the downhill to the flat curve can be changed to an "L" extension if we want a longer, more varied track. I have room for about a 10 foot extension out that side. I'm hoping it is a fun track for our group and that is not too hard to drive. I just never think it is much fun when you have cars coming off every lap!

P1010007.JPG
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:16 pm

That is a great looking track with interesting elevation changes. It should be a lot of fun to race on.

My 2 cents worth of commentary is to crank the voltage down till there's a nice compromise between top end speed and driveability. At lower voltages acceleration is more realistic but cars can still gather speed over distance. I was guilty of cramming a bit too many twisty bits into my road course to maximize the lap length on my 5' x 14' table and it was difficult to get around at full wall wart voltage (16v) but at 12.5v it's fast enough and fun to drive.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby mattb » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:18 am

I agree that less voltage is probably a good solution. I know putting current 1/32 cars on a track and getting nothing but fishtailing and speed that is not manageable is not fun for me. Lower voltage may make all the difference.

While talking about drivability, I have a question for you guys. I see lots of builds here get 20k or fast motors and are geared 3:1 or higher.
This sure seems like really over powering such small tracks. We run heavy 1/24 cars and with Mark Thomas 15K motors geared 3:1 and we have nice handling drivable cars on a Blue King track (punchbowl). The cars also transfer well to our home tracks that are 30 foot or so in length.

We can run Jaws (17,500) or the $2 motors I get from China (21k) and geared 4:1 and get similiar speed with with better brakes and acceleration. Those setups are on a really big track or our home tracks which do have 25-30 foot straights.Just really seems like a 20k motor geared 3:1 on a track with straights no more than 12-14 foot long and lots of tight curves would overpower the track.

How about it, does that much rpm work out good on a smaller track? I like to learn what I can about all different setups, even if it's not what I run.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Tycosaur » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:47 pm

Last edited by Tycosaur on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tycosaur
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:31 pm

Sorry to hear that the tape is lifting. I will say that I have had some terrible experiences with inexpensive paint. Paint chemistry does vary. Have you tried a solvent? Liquid sander is sometimes used to help the surface layer to bind....it almost seems like you have an oil problem leaching out of the paint which is why I suggested solvent. Maybe 91%, but I keep mineral spirits and xylol around not to mention acetone, just in case.

It's a great track, hopefully you will get it sorted soon!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to Layout Planning & Design