[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Tips for building hill base for hillclimb track?

Tips for building hill base for hillclimb track?

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Tips for building hill base for hillclimb track?

Postby viejoronnie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:35 pm

In another post I noted my ideas for a hillclimb track design using 1/32 plastic Artin track.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18894

The hill, as envisioned, comprising the 180 degree turn with 4 nested roadways, would allow three 2 elevated (R2,R3,R4) slot lanes traversing the hill, each 2 slot roadway traversing in opposite directions. Think of it as 1/2 of an upside down layered wedding cake.

I have not done any model railroading, so I am sure a deep dive into that hobby would help me, but I thought some folks here could give me some tips.

My embryonic ideas:

1. Build a frame work of lumber etc. and mdf. Likely cheapest, strongest, and most time consuming.

2. Cut up some sheets of Styrofoam, upholstery foam, or home insulation foam sheets into suitably height/width, pile them up around a half moon form designed from the R1 curve which is on the track base. Perhaps the easiest and quickest, but most expensive.

3. Building a mold box from foam art sheets for the roadways/hill and fill with spray expanding insulation foam. The form would be "relatively" easily to build, the jury is out on the foam cost, given the volume of foam needed.
viejoronnie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Tips for building hill base for hillclimb track?

Postby viejoronnie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:01 pm

I just had another idea; making a plan form for each of the R2/R3/R4 nested curves, tracing on thick cardboard or mdf around the assembled plastic track, then gluing wooden support columns onto these cut out pieces, made from appropriate length closet dowels, 2x2's etc., along the inner/outer radius at 0, 45, 90, 135, and 180 degrees. Rinse and repeat for each of the levels, then tie all 30 support columns together for strength and glue all the support columns to the base.
I could possibly spray insulation foam on the interior of the structure for additional strength.
viejoronnie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:21 am

I'm trying to get this, but have only seen a few hill-climb tracks so this is new to me.

Is the tight, more than 180 degrees turn nearly in the center of the image the highest point? Where do you plan to have the start/finish line, and is that going to be at 'ground level'? Have you experimented with how much elevation you can get from your Artin track. Are you more likely to be limited by the track or the surface it's mounted on when it comes to elevation?

I have elevation changes on my road course but it's routed 1/2" mdf and I wasn't able to flex it as much as I imagined withjout fear it would crack. Maybe it will depend on doing it a little at a time to give the base material time to stretch.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby mattb » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:33 am

6.JPG

This is 1/2 inch mdf. 20 inches wide and 8 foot outside diameter. It bends as much as I need. I have bent it till the bank measures nearly 40 degrees.

7.JPG
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby viejoronnie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:56 pm

The highest point in the track is actually the largest diameter 180 degree curve on the right side of the plan. The height there is about 10" at the turn apex. It then drops rather steeply for the remaining curve down to base elevation within 1/3 of the length of the subsequent long straight. Between the apex of the curve and that point on the straight I think I can make that 10" drop with minimal stress on the track (10" drop over perhaps 6 linear feet).

Also I have decided on cutting vertical track supports from wooden closet rods using a hand miter saw and box, then gluing them to the underside of the track using shoo goo. I can then use strips of 1/16" thick art mounting board inserted into the outside track border slot to create the vertical wall of the turn. Using shoo goo, this wall can be tied into the track edge on the next level up, and so on. I plan to print out some photo realistic paper resembling a rock face, bricks, stone work, etc. to the mounting board.
viejoronnie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:29 am

I used a glue gun and hot glue to stick together lots of my old plastic track setups. Quick way to fasten down wood shapes for inclines and banked sections of plastic track.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:50 am

This is what I did to get different elevations. 2 by's on edge covered with two layers of 1/8" baltic birch plywood. The pictures in post #8 will give you the best view.

http://slotblog.net/topic/31554-butchs-track/
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:09 pm

Butch, I remember watching your track build, that's been a few years! I am building in a commercial track style and the legs will be movable for angle and height. I have built in sections and will braid in sections so it can be taken apart if sold or moved.

Possibly I will make some kind of legs from 2X4's and 2X6's as I have so many table legs that need to be used up!

pics to come later.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Layout Planning & Design