guardrail re -visited

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

guardrail re -visited

Postby btaylor » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:54 am

Had some out of town family drop by on their way to a their new home in California. My two Granddaughters love to race with Grandpa, so we had a good bit of track time over the three days. Unfortunately, my hay bail retention walls were no match for 1/24 cars at the control of two seven year olds! My bails were made from hard foam craft block that you find at hobby stores. They look pretty real when painted a yellow color, and the attach to each other and the track with hot glue very well. The bad part is, when a Car hits them, they loose most of the surface paint, and are hard enough to scratch paint. So, that being said, granddad remembered the old electrical wire guardrail trick that has been around for ages. I don't know who first thought of this, but I give him/her major kudos for being so creative. I made a quick trip to the hardware store, and picked up a 25ft roll of 14/2 grey wire. cost was about $15. I also grabbed two sticks of 3/8 pine dowel rod in three foot lengths, for around $1.49 each. next on my short list was some very small brass upholstery brads with a round head.$1.99 for 100 pieces. When I got home, I hit the paint cupboard for left over wood stain. I pulled all the bails, and gave that area a quick touch up of grass green paint. I grabbed a 3/8" drill bit, and after marking for holes every 4", I set out drilling for the uprights to hold the new guard rail. My track has a vintage look to it, so I went with round creosote looking supports. I used some elmers in each hole, and tapped in the 1 1/2" dowel rods. I then hit each one with an old brush and some dark wood stain. I found a drill bit just smaller than the brass brads, and drilled through the wire in the center at each post. I put a drop of super glue at each post, and pushed the brad through wire and post, then moved to the next one. It went very quick, and with a total investment of around $20 for 25ft of solid guard rail. I was pretty happy. The new rail looks good in grey, and the stained posts look like I wanted them to. The rubber outer coating on the wire does not scratch the cars, and will stop a careening brass framed 1/24 car at speed. the wire will distort some on hard impact, but it adds to the realism in my book. I know this has all been done before, but sometimes a reminder helps when folks are building new tracks, or tuning up one already built.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: guardrail re -visited

Postby Z-carfan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:24 am

That looks amazing Bob, thanks for sharing.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 73emgee » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:44 am

Same method I used for Watkins Glen in Wood, check it out in the "Lumber Yard" form on HRW.
73emgee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:53 am

I did see that mg, probably what reminded me of the wire trick. Your track looks amazing by the way! I am keeping this track a little less detailed than my other, for cleaning purposes.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Return to Layout Planning & Design