Tuning cars/ Track for layout

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Tuning cars/ Track for layout

Postby Twisted Vision » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:20 pm

A bit of assistance would be appreciated -

I have a new layout for public exhibition - the track has been designed so that exceptionally tight radii have been eliminated - it is a texture painted 4 lane Carrera tack. The users of the track will most likely never have operated a slot car before.

During testing we have some cars that are deslotting, and it is highly important to reduce marshalling. The deslotting occurs at one particular curve - that cannot be adjusted any further due to spatial requirements - (the track is inside a trailer)

We are running reduced voltage - (9V from dual variable power supplies). I am thinking magnets will help - and have purchased N43, N48 and N52 magnets in several sizes and thicknesses.

The cars themselves are mixed bag, Fly, Sideways, Carrera, Scaley - many of which were purchased used.

We are going to be swapping to Paul gauge tires (eurethane)

Can anyone provide guidance on the magnet placement? Either on the cars, (if there is an article about this - it would be great to see!) or on the track I almost want to have the magnets under the track - rather than on the cars themselves - would it work to magnetize the track in a particular area?
Twisted Vision

Re: Tuning cars/ Track for layout

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:01 pm

Track rails are already your friend here, put the magnets inside the cars. Just remove the bodies and glue them in where they can fit.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Twisted Vision » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:24 pm

Thank you for the response!

I have never added magnets to cars - where should they be added? I am assuming in front of the motor - or should they be behind the rear axle? Also, is there any benefit to adding them near the front of the car, such as behind the front axle?

With people paying for time, and short durations (3-5) minutes - I don't want them to spend half of their time being marshalled - think of this endeavor as less "racing" and more gateway drug to other people's slot car addiction. As we will be doing large events, there is little time to "coach" the drivers. I really want them to get their money's worth.

I would appreciate any help that can be passed along!
Twisted Vision

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:57 pm

Well most of the brands you state that you have have mags already. Carrera and Scalextric are your best friends here. They have STRONG magnets inside. And with reduced voltage (which is VERY smart by the way) there will be very little deslotting.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Billy boy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:46 am

You said you were switching to paul guage tires. I would try those first before gluing a bunch of magnets in. Should be a vast improvement in handling over stock. You might find less magnets will be needed. Keep the track as dust free as you can.
Billy boy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Smokeio » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:07 am

Go with magnets. Put them as far forward as possible. The goal would be to keep the guide in the slot. You may be better off leaving the stock rubber tires so the car slides. The PG tires may give you too much grip.
https://www.slotcarcorner.com/1-32-Slot ... p1779.html
Smokeio
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Layout Planning & Design