[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New 4x12 track Design - Critique Please!

New 4x12 track Design - Critique Please!

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

New 4x12 track Design - Critique Please!

Postby Nevadazielmeister » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:56 am

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, the Spaghetti Western International Circuit. It is built Scalextric Sport Digital Track (with ARC Pro) and will be mounted on MDF. I wanted to get anyones' opinions, good or bad. Thank you!

Spaghetti Western International JPEG 2.jpg
Nevadazielmeister

Re: New 4x12 track Design - Critique Please!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:33 am

Will the long straightaway be against a wall ? If so I see a problem marshaling all those turns above the straight.
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dw5555 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:10 am

I like it especially the pit entrance. Just make sure you drive it for awhile before you mount it down. Then you'll know where (if any) problems may arise.
Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:12 am

Reaching the curves can be simplified by a shorter table...but yes, they will be a pain to marshal.

It's always tempting to squeeze as much track as possible into the space, but sometimes less is more. Set it up, run it, and then change it. That's the great thing about plastic, you can try different things quickly.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:24 am

Paul has some good advice. More track length does not equal a great race track. The above track plan looks like your kids and people new to slot racing will spend a lot of time putting their cars back on. I never thought that was fun. I always thought it was more fun to have a somewhat simple track plan that allows lap after lap of side by side racing. If it gets too easy for everybody, add something twisty.

I know it's hard to believe, but some of the best fun a couple people can have is racing on an oval. Plenty of guys here have found that out.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GRUNZ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:01 pm

First off, I like your circuit. It is not at all spaghetti-like and it has a nice flow.
If I read correctly, this will be CCW. I would simplify the infield after corner 1: too many R1.
I would just straighten this part.
Another thing that you should also consider is to add inner and outer borders. If you are putting the effort to build a table for your layout, I think the next step is to try to get rid of the magnets and use proper tyres with your cars. In this case, having borders is fundamental to keep the cars on the track.
In terms of pitlane strategy, I always check how far is the last XLC before the pitlane entrance to allow a driver to move in to the lane when the pitlane lane changer is. My preference is to have the last "ditch" just before the last corner before the pitlane.

Finally, my preference is to place the XLCs always at the end of the straights and to have at least a full straight between a XLC and the preceding corner otherwise cars coming out of said corner might miss the lane changer sensor. In your case, the second XLC is placed just after the first corner which means that even with mags, some cars might not "see" the XLC sensors.
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:37 pm

My best advice is to try a few different layouts before deciding on one. A lot of times a layout that looks great on paper isn't as fun in the real world. I agree with the others that in most cases a simpler layout will provide better racing for everyone involved than a more technical layout.

If possible, it's always best for Scalextric Sport track to just lay on the table without mounting it. This allows the track to expand and contract somewhat without warping.

Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nevadazielmeister » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:52 pm

Nevadazielmeister

Postby Nevadazielmeister » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:56 pm

Nevadazielmeister

Postby Nevadazielmeister » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:07 pm

Nevadazielmeister

Postby Billy boy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:26 pm

Get a nice glue gun and lots of glue. Scalextric does have track clips as well. Someone mentioned borders. Buy or build some,well worth it. Remove all grease from the plastic. Let’s see a pic or two after assembly.
Billy boy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nevadazielmeister » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:44 pm

Updated with suggestions:

Spaghetti Western International Updated JPEG.jpg

I left the XLS portions in white, which are in addition to what comes with the Scalextric Sunset Speedway Track. Thank you so much for the suggestions. Keep em coming and if I like it, I will make a change.
Nevadazielmeister

Postby GRUNZ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:34 pm

As I suggested before, you need to have at least one full straight before any XLC. In your latest iteration you have two that are just after a corner and one with only half a straight. You will have missed lane changes. The worst is when one car manages to change lane leaving the flipper in the change position: if the following car misses the lane changer sensor then it will perform an unwanted lane change.

Here is my layout:

As you can see I leave plenty of straight space before a lane changer.
My layout is on top of 9 foldable tables so it is not permanent at all.

I have not fixed it to the table because as suggested scalex track needs room to expand.
Unless you have to put the table up against the wall with the track on it, I would not bother with fixing it to the table at all.
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby silverspringsslotcars » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:47 pm

I like your layout. Just the right amount of curves and straights which should make for interesting racing.

Is the Spaghetti part named from the Spaghetti bowl in Reno?

Joseph
silverspringsslotcars

Postby Fathead59 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:27 pm

I am planning on doing almost the same thing , Professor Motor has an extra track set up that will work with a few of the Scaletrix tracks . What I plan on doing is building it on a table that will be able to be broken down . I also have track clips to help with mounting the track to the table . The clips help with track movement . I will say that is a very good lay out you have , happy slotting
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Layout Planning & Design