[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Alternative to MDF?

Alternative to MDF?

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Alternative to MDF?

Postby btaylor » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:34 am

Does anyone know of, or has used an alternative to MDF as a routed track? I am in the design stages of a two lane Pan-am style road course that will span over 75 ft of track surface and will probably have some texture variations to simulate changing road conditions, I can use MDF if that's the best choice,but if i can save some money in an area that will not need a perfectly smooth surface,i would like to.
Anyone got any ideas? or am i just being a cheapo!
Thanks in advance
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: Alternative to MDF?

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:48 am

You are being cheapo :)

Seriously though, you can't really beat MDF. It can be twisted/manipulated more than you think and stands the test of time. Yes it costs more, but still pales in comparison to plastic prices.

You can make a great track with less expensive material such as OSB (I bet that's what you are thinking). I have raced on tracks made from it and using the smooth side up and some paint, they are just fine.

I am sure there will be many more options from folks. Just my penny (inflation).
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:01 am

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Florida_Slotter » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:05 am

Bob,

Well you can pay me now or pay me later - or words to that effect.

MDF provides such a smooth surface when it is worked, I don't see how an alternative will save you money.

You will more than likely spend more in surface preparation on anything other than MDF.

I would bet that the cost offset is not worth the added time and effort to provide equal results.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:17 am

Sounds to me like you have some folks getting interested, and THAT is a good thing.

And be careful, I'm an oval person too but good action on a road course is equally as fun. It is just as addictive as the roundy-rounders.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:39 am

They are so interested,that last night i was getting a smart phone shoved in my face every two seconds showing me the lavish sports cars that they want to purchase! and the course isnt even built yet!
I guess that kind of enthusiasm is what makes dreams into realities.I am totally on -board with this project as i have a neat little cobra that needs it muscles flexed on a good road course.
I will probably go with the MDF and just bite the bullet on price,like you said,pay me now or pay me later.
Its to large of an undertaking to skimp on track material. Just thought that with times being like they are,something better/cheaper may be out there. Guess not....where are those glycerin pills? :lol:
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby RazorJon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:01 am

If you are going to take the time and build a track for other guys to use, dont go cheap where the rubber hits the road, if you want to save money only serve the cheap beer and chips at your races :laughing-rolling:

another cost is bits, I know from barn building that particle board is tough on saw blades 2-3 router bits could offset the savings
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:13 am

I haven't looked into it yet, but I have always wondered if railroad salvage and pre-fab cabinet factories sell off or give away damaged sheets of MDF. Even if its broken in half, it would still save a fortune. I used to get great lumber at ridiculous low prices buying from railroad salvage.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby btaylor » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:21 am

I had to ask,because i could not remember what wood i used for my last routed track (1981) but it was not MDF. i dont know why i didnt use it then ,(probably being cheap then too). I do remember that i used 3/4" silver sticky backed duct tape the metal kind,and put it down right over the groove,then went back and cut the center and folded it into the slot,probably why i didnt have any guide issues? it worked ok,but i dont remember it being overly smooth even after paint.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby btaylor » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:52 am

Thanks Bibbster!, I have not finalized any wood purchase as of yet,we will be starting the main framework this weekend.This room/track Will be climate controlled,so that might help some.We will be sketching out the proposed layout on cardboard so i can determine what sheet count i will need.
Unless i have calculated wrong, I will need about seven 4x8 sheets of whatever to get the surface area covered, I will be cutting out the track and elevating and twisting almost every section,so what are your thoughts on particle board being able to do this?
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:58 am

My 1966 Imperial track is 100% particle board, rough particle board, and its great. There are several grades and you can choose how smooth you want it. The old rule was to never use water based paints on it. The idea was that the glue that holds it together can be overcome by swelling of the particles. I don't believe that is the case anymore.

MDF will surprise you with its ability to bend and twist.

Also, about the wear on bits... A saw cuts a different way from a router bit, and is generally made from different material. The only concern that most people need have about router bits is the speed at which you push the router around. Saws and bits are dulled by heat far more than the material they are meant to cut. The selection of saw blade design is very important when cutting exterior grade particle board, and it is nearly extinct anyway. Waferboard and Oriented Strand Board (OSB) are far better for exterior applications.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Ember » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:10 pm

I'd expect any potential alternatives would work out more expensive than MDF.

I've seen foam board used for small portable tracks. Or you could use compressed PVC foamboard (it has a few different brand names). A guy on SlotForum International actually made his road surface from plasterer's jointing compound (dry-wall mud?) because he wanted to simulate imperfect surfaces. Another as done a hill climb out of MDF but is scarifying the surface to simulate various road surfaces.

There are always alternatives to the norm if you think creatively.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:38 pm

2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:24 pm

Yes, but I should mention that MDF is superior if you intend grades and banking at all. The technique to bend particle board is not like MDF. With MDF, although you spend some extra money, not necessarily a lot, you have assurance that you can do just about anything with it and not fear breakage. The wear on the router bit is a small consideration compared to that, if you plan something really hilly.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby btaylor » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:57 am

Ok,so locally the MDF is $28.99 per 4x8 sheet vs, particle board at $18.99, I would save $70 or so using particle board.
Not the big savings versus quality i was hoping for,but still money towards another variable power supply,or two more controllers, etc. etc.. So,after reading all the posts,im still not sure what the heck i am going to do?
Bibbster obviously has had great success with particle board,as have all the old commercial tracks,but the new industry standard is MDF. If i were building another huge oval,the answer would be easy,MDF hands down. But i will be cutting out the road bed and elevating it so i will have a bunch of wasted material as well. After talking with a relative who helped me build my last routed track,he remembered it to be particle board. It was used for a good while, with mostly parma womp based cars with the old Jet flags,in a road course configuration,but was not elevated at all. I always struggle with theses kinds of decisions,because common sense tells you if it worked then, it will work now. over the years you see trends that cause a large group to use or buy something because the winner was using it or did it. (look at 1:1 racing!),I think sometimes I am being cheap,then i think its common sense to save money where you can if it does not change the overall product quality in an adverse way. I am certainly not looking for anyone to make this decision for me,but asking an informed group can be a great way to come up with a good basis for your choices.
So as it stands
Both are cheaper than plastic track and more versatile
MDF is costly but the prefered choice amongst track builders(currently)
Many a great track has been built using particle board and are still functioning fine.
both surfaces are more than race-able
both need sealed and painted
both will make the necessary tilts and and rises i will be making
both are machinable to the point that i would require
MDF is more consistent in thickness (a good point when matching up pieces)
Particle board can be hard on flags (dont like this!and i dont see a good fix)
Current technology will probably antiquate both of them in a few years anyway so who cares. :lol:
So,my thinking is ,Buy it once,buy it right,and live with the best quality available at the present time,
and cheap out on the beer and chips !
I have never seen anyone regret buying quality,But trying to save money can cost you in the long run.
MDF it is. Thanks everyone,you have all been a great help,and i appreciate your opinions.
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Next

Return to Layout Planning & Design