Tire truers

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Re: Tire truers

Postby FootScoot » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:36 am

That JK looks a lot like my Cobra. The Other truer I have is an Area 3, which is still in the box. Never did use it. :roll:
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:45 pm

eBay.... It will find a new home there.

I never could get my Area 3 to true both wheels precisely at the same time...

....I just do one side at a time, and use my trusty verniers to get the OD nailed down.

The Area 3 is great if you are prepared to use it in this fashion, but I'd like to be able to save a bit of time too every once in awhile :)

Looking at all the different brands in this thread I still think I'd prefer the Tire Razor, it is a good design (wow that NSR! Is it used to communicate with space aliens as well???).
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:38 am

You missing the screw on the top to adjust the height up and down or is it just not in the picture?

DM
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:01 am

Hey Rm,

Let me know if you can get both tyres trued to an accurate o.d. With the sandpaper stuck on the back of the block that way, k?

I have mine glued on the other side, I (and others) found we couldn't get both tyres trued accurately....

Be interesting if that solved the issue for me :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:07 am

Good grief, for that money it should come with Union 76 girls to do it for you. :)

I am happy with my Razor.

You have an Area3 right? No, it's not perfect but I had one and it worked ok. The Razor was better as the forks are slightly closer so a larger variety of axles will fit.

I am happier than ever I don't waste time on foams anymore.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ddyke » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:24 am

It must be the best as it says professional. I am saving to buy the one made by the Yank as I do not have a degree that lets me use professional equipment.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:33 am

I have the Area3 and it is decent, but not perfect as mentioned. It cannot do both tires equally at the same time. So, I revert to a similar method as described by Rob on his - namely one side at a time. Still, beats pulling wheels off knurled axles, etc.

If I could do it again, I'd get the Tire Razor. Jon is a great guy, and his works VERY well. I think I did 8 cars on Harry's while at HRW and even got a lesson from Jon on how to properly do tires. I may still sell my A3 at some point and get the Tire Razor...just have to do it.

I've got Jon's gear puller and it is STOUT!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:09 pm

...Bizarre....

The Italians must've got in a German to help them with the design of that....

Too much, life shouldn't be so hard.

Yes its a good price from a great retailer, but man my life can get pretty complex without something like that staring at me when I'm in the man cave...

The best design/price I have seen on the market is the Tire Razor, if I was to get another truer it would be that one, there is something inherently superb about American designed gear....

...and that is its simplicity :)

Italian stuff is pretty nice too, but maybe not this time :P

P.S. As Harry mentioned, my Area 3 "got me" the other day truing up the rears on my Carrera Capri.... I had to pull the wheels off and add a bit of width to get it to fit on the truer....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to SlotCar ToolTime