Dayton OH?

Post Your Club/Home Info Here
Link Up With Others In Your Area

Dayton OH?

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:15 pm

I am going to be in Dayton 3 days next week for business. Is there any place I should plan to visit while I am in the area?
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Dayton OH?

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:02 pm

Wright-Patterson Air Force Museum will change your life. Don't miss it or I'll send encyclopedia salesmen and religionists to knock on your front door 24 hours a day. You'll thank me.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Junior » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:46 pm

I will second Wright-Patterson. Get there early and take the Presidential tour. Not only you can tour some presidential planes, you get to walk around some great experimental planes. There are so may you need to duck under wing tips.
Junior
Shop Teacher

Postby pzooc » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Just to reinforce the previous sentiments............check out the WPAFB museum..........and take your time. The only other thing I can think of is that you could drive by the Esther Price candy store on the way to the museum and get a box of chocolates. There used to be one down the road from WPAFB - Woodman and Airway. I think it is still there.

Now if slots are on your mind, there is the Hobby Shop (yep thats the name) in the shopping center at route 725 and Springboro Pike. Got a lot of cars and they do some racing too. And then there is T/R Motorplex in Miamisburg just down the road on 725. They have a King and are really really big on drag racing. Give Rick a call to see what is on the schedule. I believe they run FCR hardbodies on Thursday nights. (Well probably not on Thanksgiving)
pzooc

Postby olskoolslotz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Last edited by olskoolslotz on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
olskoolslotz
"THE Champ"

Postby TsgtRet » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:20 am

I will throw my 2 cents behind the WPAFB museum (check my screen name). When I live in Dayton I used to go out there every couple of months just so I could really feel old...every plane I worked on is in the museum! Seriously, it's a great experience. As mentioned sign up for the Presidential tour; you have to ride a bus there because it's in a hangar over on the old Wright Field flightline. If you're into old buildings most of the buildings adjacent to the museum (Area B of the base) date from the 20s and 30s and there are other interesting things like the runway that runs up a hill (used for testing landing gears and such at one time). Give yourself ALL DAY.
Enjoy
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:33 am

Hi All,
I agree with the AF Museum at WPAFB. I have been there several times. My father took me there years ago, I lived for three years in London OH (about 30 miles away) so visited again, and took my boys there about 3 years ago when we traveled to Washington (the got to see the AF museum and the Smithsonian Air and Space museums all in one trip!). I stop there whenever I have the time. It's an amazing place with amazing machines and a great deal of history.

However, this is a business trip and I will only have evenings available so I was thinking particularly about slot car stuff.....since I will only have Tuesday and Wednesday evening open. I looked at T/R Motorplex but there seems to be conflicting information about them being open? Also, I am actually going to be up in Troy so I wondered about the drive down, looks like about a 45 min drive? Does that sound right?
All my old king-track stuff is put away....I just have the home racing cars in full running order right now....
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Club/Home Connection