1/24 made us not able to run 1/32

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

1/24 made us not able to run 1/32

Postby proxieken » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:35 pm

Just an observation. We are running Carrera digital. I started with 1/32 and then thought I would try a 1/24 car or 2. Long story short we have ended up running 1/24 almost exclusively of late. last time we tried to go back to 1/32 and all of us kept crashing constantly. The lap time for the 2 scales is almost identical, so I could not understand why we did so poorly.

After thinking on it, I think I have the issue.

The 1/24 cars are heavy and take a little while to get rolling. Throttle response is a bit sluggish. The 1/32 cars take off and have power to spare. The slightest bump in the throttle coming out of a turn and you are sideways and out of the slot. I think we have gotten conditioned to our larger cars and we try to drive the little ones the same way. The result is that everyone got frustrated and we switched to 1/24 for the rest of the evening.

I actually like the space around the car that the 1/32 scale has. The big ones tend to push each other about in the corners. But I like the more realistic power curve of the big cars.

Next time we run the 1/32 cars I think we will run them on lesser power to get them to handle a bit more civilized. As things stand right now it is embarrassing how frequently we were crashing with the little cars.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 1/24 made us not able to run 1/32

Postby legrandnormand » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:56 pm

If you use the proper transformer (14 VDC) for the 1/32, they should manage OK but the same won't be for the 1/24 with the same voltage, they will be kind of slow ! Idealy, you should buy a 18VDC transformer and use it when you race the 1/24's.
p.s. I have both transformers and one day I forgot to put the 14VDC back for my 1/32 cars, the cars were flying off all over the track...no harm done but it could have caused much more damage to my 1/32's.
Last edited by legrandnormand on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
legrandnormand
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:57 pm

I went through the same thing last year,I/we built a huge road course in HO scale, scenery 4 lane the whole works!
this was after nearly 30 years without slotting, I kept seeing these nice 1/32 cars for sale on e-bay and all the hobby shops that sold Ho Stuff.Then I linked off a an e=bay sight to this sight and saw this Artin oval thing going on!
I bought a 4 lane artin stocker set,and we have never raced the HO cars or track again!
I now have a six lane HUGE set up in 1/32 with scenery and all the trimmings,the poor HO set is left to basically rot in an un used room behind the shop. Go figure? the little cars that were so fun,just didn't cut it anymore.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby proxieken » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:37 pm

We use the right power for the scale of cars, but it seems the 1/32 are so light and quick it is hard to get used to running them after throwing the heavyweights around the track.

From a model kit building standpoint the 1/24 cars are too much to pass up. I have a to-do pile that keeps growing it seems.

We are going to have to spend some time getting used to the 1/32 cars again.

I have some friends who are really in to HO racing and if they ever make digital HO cars that would be something to try out. :D
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:27 pm

It's just a matter of retraining the reactions and expectations, something that takes time.

The same thing happens to a lesser degree when running different classes of car. I learned early on to plan the order of running for classes rather than just bouncing from one to the next. I tend to order things in terms of power output. Nothing worse than running NSR/Slot.it GT40s directly after running the elegant but considerably slower NC1-NC8 powered Ninco Classics. The faster cars seem to get to the next corner before they've even finished straightening from the last. Less destructive perhaps to go the other way and run the Classics after the speed demons, but then there's the tendency to loose concentration while waiting for the cars to get wound up on the long straight (ok... not so long at 3m, but longest on the track) and forget the need to blip brakes for the fall away corner.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:37 pm

As usual we do it just any old way. My son recently had a race night where he took a Racer Sideways for some hot laps and followed it up with a bone stock Carrera. It took him only a couple laps to settle down, he pushed it a little far...but no offs.

As a person develops skills in the hobby, the outcome will of course be different. You have the right idea, just keep practicing and soon it won't matter how you do it.

We actually enjoy mixing it up. Keeps us on our toes :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby demether » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:08 pm

I also enjoy several scales, from h0 to 1/32. I particularly like HO because you can drive a lot of very, very diferent things, from stock sliding tjet to fast magnet rockets, easy handling but fun xtractions to more technical brasspans chassis, etc, etc...
demether
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TheRoadrunner » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:42 pm

Remember that if you swap the motors in the 124's for 132 motors the bigger cars will be quicker like the 132's and be a total blast to race, and you can run 6 at a time with a 132 PSU.
It's the only way we run our 124's now since we discovered the secret to making them fun.
TheRoadrunner

Postby Fast Co. » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:30 pm

We mix it up too. NSRs, Slot.It Group C and Classics, Fly Classics, Monogram Stockers, Ninco Classics, Sebring Chassis cars, 1/24 Scale Scratchbuilds. We just come to a consensus after one race as to what we're going to race next. There's never any particular order for us. I also occasionally race HO with a different group of guys. I like mixing it up like that. It makes me appreciate the differences in the scales, makes and classes of cars. I don't have a perennial favorite. It's more a matter of mood.
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Digital Racing