[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - DeBary Glen closing down soon

DeBary Glen closing down soon

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

DeBary Glen closing down soon

Postby Modlerbob » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:20 pm

My grand experiment in having a 1/32 racing venue will soon be shutting down. My hope that I would find at least five or six other local racers who would form a club and help me pay the rent was never realised. Attendance has been sporadic and we have only managed to have less than ten events since I opened up. Since Marty's health started getting worse there have only been a few occasions when someone other than me has been at the track.

The bottom line is that after July I will not be able to afford the rent as I will be turning 66 and my disability insurance payments will terminate leaving me with only my social security check to support me. I hope I have sold the Scaley plastic track and if so it will be moving to Jacksonville, Fl. I plan to reduce the size of the mdf track so that it will fit in my Florida room. The table will be reduced to 16' x 6.5' and the track length reduced from 65' to about 55'. So, in a way, DeBary Glen will live on, just in a new location and with a smaller footprint.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: DeBary Glen closing down soon

Postby munter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:35 pm

"Change is the only constant".......curse it.
I constantly fight to maintain "my" status quo.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:37 pm

Wishing you all the best Bob.
Bob C
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Modlerbob » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:36 pm

One good? thing will be that the only regular driving I will need to do is to the grocery store and my doctor's office. So hopefully I will be able to drive to Jacksonville on occasion and visit my old track.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Sorry to hear it Bob but at least you'll be able to have a track at home. BTW is the room where the new track will be air conditioned? I remember you having a problem with that at your present location.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:21 pm

The size reduction isn't that bad Bob. I know plenty folks that have less and still have fun with the hobby.

You have your silver linings as you mentioned. All we can do is focus on the good.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:31 pm

Bob - I know you've worried over this for awhile now. As nice as the track is it will be equally nice even with a few feet removed. I just reduced mine when moving, so at first it seems a little odd but after awhile I actually like it more. I'm sure you'll be the same.

I'll try to get by this year if I make it down again!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Modlerbob » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:34 am

Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Abarth Mike » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:23 am

It may not have succeeded but at least you know you tried. As they say better to have tried... than never to have tried at all. One door closes another door opens.
Abarth Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:37 am

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:18 am

I am so glad you invited me over to race and value your friendship.
Meeting you and Marty were a blessing.
As you move the venue look at the positive...AC and no debris on the track. AND...no travel !!!!
You have an amazing collection of cars and you will have an amazing track.
Best wishes from Buffalo.....Bob.
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Kemtronracer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:55 am

Sorry to hear that, Bob. It seems like everyone I know is having trouble finding others to run with on their tracks. If I ever get back to Florida, I'll make sure to check in with you.

Best regards,
Kemtronracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:34 pm

Sorry to hear the news, Bob. In the end, hopefully, you may find that leaving out of the hobby will bring the fun level up. I tried something similar when I started, but learned in pretty short order that it wasn't going to happen the way I hoped -- and frankly, I'm glad it didn't. Slot cars are more fun when there's nothing riding on it.

Maybe finding some niche, like setting up a lathe and machining some wheels could bring in the extra income you were hoping for. Or making plastic-to-wood adapter tracks, or something else equally unusual. Doing your own decals and selling them may be up your alley.

Anyway, best of luck in the new place!
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby indybob007 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:47 am

Yes finding people to race has always been a big problem' Living in a rual area does not help either. If it was not for family and all my grandkids who love to race I would just tear my track down and use the space for something else. Racing alone just gets boring. But good luck on the new track. Indybob
indybob007
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:52 pm

I live in a retirement community and there are a lot of guys my age here. Even though I was unable to get any of them to drive three miles to where my track is currently located I might be able to convince a few of them to come by my house and try it out. To me it beats going down to the clubhouse and playing bingo on Wednesday night.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Reader's Roads