Rally Sweden - Phase III (updated 1-9-14 pg. 2)

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Re: Rally Sweden - Phase III (updated 1-9-14 pg. 2)

Postby JESIV » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks guys! We're about to give the track it's first run through here in the next half hour or so. Hopefully, there won't be too many gremlins to sort out.
JESIV
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:00 pm

Love the look! I am betting it is going to be a LOT of fun to drive as well! I know one thing that I have found that takes of glue residue really well is a citrus based cleaner called Quick 'N Kleen (http://www.quicknkleen.com/) - but barring ordering up some of that (it is made in Michigan and availability here in Ohio is still spotty), you may want to try good ol' lighter fluid on a piece of cotton/denim cloth.
Look forward to hearing how the "Inaugural Rally" goes!
(hopefully we get some video!)
:D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:14 pm

Another good product is Zip Rail, a model RR track cleaner, with special attention to conductivity. I used it on some old Scalextric Classic track, and the effect was really something to see.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Ember » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Inox MX3 is hard to beat for a rail conditioner. I've heard plenty of the model rail guys are using it. It is available in the US but might take some hunting. Someone said Harley dealers were recommending it as a chain lubricant. So it's out there.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby JESIV » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:00 pm

All good tips, thanks guys. I look into all of them.. My next door neighbor is a Harley nut so perhaps he's heard of the Inox product. If not Entertrainment Junction is just around the corner so perhaps the train shop in there has one or both of the train cleaners.

No video. I don't have a memory card for the new camera that has video capability. Of course I don't think to pick one up until I'm ready to make a video and it hits me …."that's why I went to the store" and not for the armloads of crap I end up with :lol: .

It was good fun. I lost every 'crossover' battle last night. I'm not sure how, but Dad has figured out the trick there. We ran Scalexy Morris Mini's with MT/1 motors, Stock SCX Fiat 124's, and Power Slot Nissan 350Z's. The times were between 10.4s - 11.6s for the Morris. I found a place to put weight in mine and it helped…)trimmed the sides of the interior away and glued weight to the inside of the body alongside the interior as low as I could get it, but that's our secret :!: ). The SCX's were between 9.0 to 9.9's. Here I got a little too carried away with weight and mine was a bit of a dog. I really hate that SCX guide and 'wire' system. I stuck some weight up front to get the front end to stay down but my car weighed in at 85.5g compared to a stockish 76g of my Dad's car (I don't think he put any weight in his). Finally, the PowerSlots were the speedy cars of the night (no surprise really they are all a little over motored for my tastes but good runners!), they timed between 8.2 and 8.8. They uncovered the first gremlin (one I can live with, but still…). As the cars go uphill towards the bridge (right side of the track traveling away from you as you look at the picture) if you took that turn at the top aggressively the tail end would swing out and hit the bridge. It didn't cause any deslots, but still hearing that distinct sound of plastic 'thunking' every other lap can get tiresome. Still, I'm of the opinion that you should either 'drive' slower through the section or deal with the consequences.
The other problem was with track mate and the relay itself. For some reason I lost but call buttons at the driver's station so we had to use the keyboard for 'offs. Typically, we make each driver responsible for their own track calls but there is a time penalty for having the offs. For now it's 1.5 seconds, on the bigger track it is 3.5 seconds. This way you are punished for offs and the other driver gets to gain, or make up ground while you sit. At any rate during the last heat we lost this feature. The relay was making some god awful noises so hopefully it's a simple replace the relay fix and it's not the T/M interface itself going bad. Although not sure why the keyboard would work but not the call buttons…anyway me and my 3rd grade knowledge of electronics will do some trouble making errr trouble shooting and try to get it sorted out.
All in all the track was a blast. So much so, Mom swung by today to do her unauthorized, unwanted, unsolicited, and unnecessary inspection but instead ended up putting several laps on the rally track (I kid, my Mom's a sweetie). Now she wants a car of her own :o
JESIV
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:47 pm

Sounds like a good time was had by all!
Always a bonus!
And from the sounds of it, only a couple (hopefully minor) bugs to work out - not bad for an initial shake down run! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby dreinecke » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:18 pm

LOVE it! I like the rally tracks with snow...no idea why, I guess it could just be that's what it looks like at my place at the moment...
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Previous

Return to Reader's Roads