[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - My home slot racing center, work in progress

My home slot racing center, work in progress

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Re: My home slot racing center, work in progress

Postby demether » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:24 am

Thanks !

Last thing concerning the wood construction, for people interested in this kind of materials : already think about reinforcing them perpendicular to the wood direction. Because real wood can bend in this way. It's why I added 1" square cleats under the boards, and also glued the ends in the opposite way of the wood. The stands under the ends are screwed too, helping the board to stay rigid and flat.

I will treat all the board (up and bottom) with woodstain to protect it from moisture.
demether
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby demether » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:19 pm

demether
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SpeedyNH » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:06 pm

ok, now I gotta ask- what'd you use for the side borders? (since we're already talking about wood here and I'm always interested.) and I like the crossways-grain joints, too, to keep things flat. more power to ya!
(and is that an ho train track that I see in the background?)
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby demether » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:09 pm

I used some cheap MDF borders. They can bend easily (althought I broke one making the inner curve border, but that was my fault), and give a nice finish look (better than the roughly cut turns I didn't show you in zoomed pics ;) ).

As usual, I used nails + PVA (white wood) glue. The nails (or sometimes, screws) are more or less just here to act as clamps during glue drying, but they add extra sturdiness to the assembly.

I sometimes reinforced the mounting with screws (since the border is 2m40, and the track outter curves are about 2M70, I had to install borders inside the turns : so I used glue + screw at the ends of them).

These borders are square on a side, and round on the other one. It give (in my opinion) a nice finish touch. I found this with wood moldings and plinths. There were diferent sizes.

The train layout is a lego one ;)
demether
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vins123 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi Dimitri
it is really nice so far and well done, i cant wait to see the final result
Sylvain
vins123
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SpeedyNH » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:59 pm

interesting. thanks! nice work.
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby demether » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:43 am

Thanks !

Today I finished to paint the stands, and also applied a primer coat on the borders. It takes a lot more time than I expected !

I'll post pics tonight. I will finish the paint tommorow (the blue borders). Tonight I'll order a few more electronic parts I forgot.
demether
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby demether » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:30 pm

demether
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:32 pm

That is coming together nice!!! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby demether » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:39 pm

Thanks !

I hope to have a running track at the end of the week. Maybe with laptiming, or some track paint and scenery completed too, but since I'm not very good making schedules, let's just hope the track will be at least assembled and powered.
demether
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:54 pm

Definitely moving along at good pace - even if it is not going quite as fast as you'd like. :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby demether » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:31 am

Thanks !

Today I painted the border in blue. I just had enough paint to do it ! The result is pretty cool !

I think I'll add a varnish coat this afternoon on the borders, and I'll be able to announce that the track support table is completed.

I just came back from the store, I bought foam roll, a cartdrige pistol (for acrylic coalk) and some grey paint for the track.

I still need to go to the "big city" to buy the straight borders for the track, since I didn't found any wood cleats compatible (I'd need something like 9mm x 45mm). The only ones I found were awfully expensive (about 20usd for 3 pieces of 2nd class wood....no way).
demether
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:46 am

Dimitri,

It's looking very good.

When is the first race?
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby demether » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:46 am

I hope it will be ready in september. Because then, I will have not as much free time to complete the 2 tracks !

That's why I'm trying to work as fast as I can.
demether
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby demether » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:24 am

demether
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to Reader's Roads