[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - A suitable home for your special cars

A suitable home for your special cars

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

A suitable home for your special cars

Postby Ember » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:53 am

I looked around for somewhere more suitable to put these, but there really isn't anywhere. They are roads, sort of. Just really, really short ones.

When I entered my second OzRally Proxy series I was scratching around for something to put together for a trophy. Originally I was going to put a small diecast breakdown vehicle on a plinth to use as a trophy for last place. Fortunately for me, I got a little distracted by something else and never built the trophy, because I finished in last place that year. To be honest I never really expected to do any good and maybe that's why I didn't get around to building the trophy.

The following year I was determined to do a little better than last place and put a lot of work into building my car. When the build was finished the car was shipped off to Tasi for tech inspection and my mind returned to the idea of a trophy. Not for last place this time as there was still too much chance that I'd win it, which would be a little embarrassing, but for first place. I thought if I was ever lucky enough to actually win a proxy series I'd would want to retire my car and display it on the shelf in an suitable environment. And so these slot boxes came about.

Here is the one that started it all. It was built in a Ninco crystal case complete with brass plaque to proclaim the series winner.

Then came this one, also in a Ninco case, which now houses that original OzRally Proxy disaster.

Next came the need to prove I could do something that didn't look like it came from central Australia.

Since doing these I've had a few enquiries about something for dioramas to house track cars. To date, I've not come up with anything, but that doesn't mean I won't. A race track diorama to me would require more construction in the box and so a bigger box was called for. The next lot have been constructed in Carrera boxes which are a bit bigger than the Ninco ones.

Another rally box built as a trophy. This has been built in a Carrera 132 box and will house the winner of the SCX WRC Proxy 2012.
The bonus with the Carrera boxes is the insert in the front corner. For the trophy I've put the proxy banner in here.

Still working on ideas for ideas to display other types of car. This one could be suitable for pre-war racers or classic road cars.
It's build into a Carrera 124 box, which is a little bigger than the 132, but not much.

Another one in a Carrera 124 box.
Not really the right car to set it off, I just grabbed it at random. My first kitbash attempt. I really must find another driver for it.

Detail at the base of the wall.
Not really happy with the vine climbing the wall. I'm going to remove the foliage and try something else tomorrow.

Cheers
Embs
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Re: A suitable home for your special cars

Postby dreinecke » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:32 pm

Embs, those are fantastic. I love the detail and was actually impressed with the vines! I've done a small one and it doesn't come close to comparing with yours, but here it is - my sister drove this for a full day a few years ago at a Toureg rally (she owned one at the time and her friend is a N. American VW rep):

So I made this for her on a Scalextric base - I should have used a bigger one, but she and her husband loved it.

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby RazorJon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:13 pm

Thats cool stuff, nice job Dave
Ember you could work in hollywood with your modeling skills
I am off to the basement before work calls me back in :shhh:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby Ember » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:39 pm

Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby Ember » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:45 am

Well. I stripped off the crumbed foam foliage from the creeper and replaced it with something else.

It's an O scale Silflor Ivy. I've used a similar product on the dry stone wall. Same product, different scale, different brand, different price tag. Surprisingly the Silflor Ivy works out cheaper than the Battle Army Painter Poison Ivy.

Not showing quite as well as I'd hoped in the photos due to the bright sunshine. But it is closer to what I was trying to achieve.

Cheers
Embs
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby ddyke » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:08 am

Started my version - this is great stuff you have done!
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ronan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Really superb work! I've been tempted to make some dioramas to better display some cars at home and using the larger Ninco/Carrera boxes as a base to do so is an excellent idea. Must try it myself! :clap:
Ronan

Postby Ember » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I have, of course, saved the best until last. At least it's my current favourite, that may have something to do with being the latest one completed though.

The world's shortest rally stage.

All is quiet and still in the woodland...

...until the silence is broken by a screaming howl.

A charging, snarling beast breaks from cover.

This path will test even the bravest.

Keep right through the hummocks.

Control the speed.

Each bounce tests the suspension to the limit.

Can't afford to make a mistake.

That wall is close.

Butt clenchingly close!

With the beast gone, silence settles over the woods again.

But the monster has marked its passing.

On a Carrera 1:32 box.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby Fast Co. » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Those are really cool Embs. They'd make excellent trophy cases!
Steve
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Embs -seriously? Just do this professionally. That is the bee's knees!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Ember » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:48 pm

Bibbster, I think my other half would probably agree with you, although perhaps not with quite the same emphasis.

Thanks Dave. I'm currently trying to find a source of display boxes at least the size of the 1/24 Carrera ones. I think the second hand boxes limits the resale possibilities a bit. The next biggest issue is lack funds to purchase them if I do find a source at a decent price. :(
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby bkrownd » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:54 am

wowzers! :D
bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby racer6583 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:42 am

Embs you could see about getting static models cases in 124 and start from there, I bet there would be a lot of people interested, you have a excellent eye for detail and ground colour so I think they would be a big hit, once you figured out base cost for the whole work and charge a reasonable price to make a nice profit and get more supply's, make a few to sale and see what happens if you can.
racer6583
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:24 pm

Ember, You continue to impress me very much with your fantastic modeling skills. Nice work! :clap:
Mike
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Bibbster, I think shipping will always be a bit of a problem. Even though I'm in one of the most populated states down here, I'm still a long way away from anywhere useful. My fault for enjoying the rural quiet life these days.

At the moment the best price I can get for 1/24 sized display boxes is around AUD25 (let's see... Current enxhange rates would make that around USD 30 ;) (joking of course)). They will definitely be more sturdy than the usual slot box, but still come up a bit pricey. I'll keep digging anyway. Might try Zimbler the Aussie Carrera distributor.

I'll find something. Eventually.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Next

Return to Reader's Roads