The last hand routed HO track...

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

The last hand routed HO track...

Postby ChallengerGuy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:05 am

I call this the last hand routed HO track, built in 1993 by Dave Smith in Oregon. While I am sure there are other tracks, my point is that shortly after this one was built, the sintra (PVC) revolution came along and proved to be a superior building material for HO. Once sintra was established, then came CNC routing and suddenly you could even create sectional custom tracks in any configuration you could imagine.

But, prior to all that, this track was one that I think shows the extremes you could go to in HO through old fashioned wood working, all in a 4x8 footprint:

Four lanes
Wiggles
Banked curve
Dead strip
Hill or bump
Hairpin turn
Equal lane length at 32-feet exactly for each lane

I don't have room for it so it's in storage for now but it's still a neat track to see:

ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: The last hand routed HO track...

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:57 am

That is still a sweet looking track!!! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby BRP32 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:11 am

It went into storage?

What a great looking track to run on!

Looks like a lot of fun!

Love the vw's.

My girls and I have the same ones and love to race them!!!!

So what is going in place of the Ho track?

:D :D :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:48 am

Great looking track! The second picture shows a design feature I'm surprised more track builders don't incorporate into their layouts. Conventional thinking is to include an overpass to equalize lane lengths. This layout shows another way to accomplish the same thing without resorting to an overpass. Hopefully it comes out of storage someday - too nice a track not to get some use.

:)
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby pastor bubba » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:02 am

Awesome looking track.
pastor bubba
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ChallengerGuy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks, I just don't have room for it so it's in my shed at the moment. I am rebuilding my 1/32 layout - just cleared the garage and have bought some 3/8ths ply to use as a foundation. I enjoy both scales but when it comes to running on my own or otherwise landscaping and all, I really miss my 1/32 track. I am hoping to sell the HO but it's difficult being out here on the West Coast (less hobbyists out here, per capita anyway).
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:33 am

That is a great looking track, shows off the experience you've gained from other builds. Good luck with the sale, it's too good to not be used.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ChallengerGuy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:43 am

Just to be clear, I did not router this track. I would be amazed if I did! LOL. No, that credit goes to Dave Smith, whom I do not know...but I did buy this track from the fellow that bought it from Dave. Yeah, he made a very clean track. It's super nice.
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby wb0s » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:33 am

I raced on that track a few years back. I've know Dave Smith for many years and he has built many tracks and all were top quality! He built multiple HO tracks using steel wire glued to the top of the track suface with expoxy paint then added for additional strength. It is a very labor intensive method, but it results in a very smooth racing surface. That is the method he used to build your track. Dave also built some beautiful 1/24 scale tracks, as well as an awesome 1/43 scale track! That track you own is very smooth, and surprisingly fast! I'm sure there are racers here in the Portland area that remember that track and would love to own it!!!
wb0s

Postby ChallengerGuy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:15 pm

Thanks for that information. Nice to know. Interesting to hear about other tracks he built. :)
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Reader's Roads