[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Home Racing World • View topic - Team SCC heading out to the Michigan 24 hour race!

Team SCC heading out to the Michigan 24 hour race!

Check here for new product updates and technical help.

Team SCC heading out to the Michigan 24 hour race!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:44 am

For the last 4 years, Team SCC has participated in a 24 hour enduro in which we try to break the record for the most distance in 24 hours by a 1/32 slotcar with no magnets and on a track which has no magnetic properties so racers can't use motor magnets to aid in handling. The SCC team consists of Steve from CT (SlotCarCorner), Mike from CT (Smokeio), Christian from QC (CGingras), Georges from QC (no HRW handle) and myself from NH (dungeonracer).
The 1st year we participated was in Chicago at Mid-America. There we finished 2nd to Team Slingshot from Atlanta, and that team also consisted of someone by the name of Kurt (known as El Sucko to some here ;) ). Team Slingshot did break the record at that time. My memory recalls if was around 245 actual miles.
Since then, we've participated in the Michigan 24 held at the Cloverleaf Racing club's home track in Fenton MI. In 2011, Team SCC came away with the victory and also set a new record of 255+ miles. Last year, we went back, and while the competition was very strong, we again came away victorious. It was a tough battle, as Team Cloverleaf 1 had set a really fast pace early on, but lost the handling of their car in the later stages. Team SCC also raised to record to 262.29 miles.
This weekend we'll be going back to defend our title. We already know the competition will be much tougher. In fact, there's a rumor that this Kurt guy will be there on one of the new teams. So along with this new team, we not only have Team Cloverleaf 1. We also have a team made up of guys from NH (rbianchi), QC and MI. And finally, there's a new team coming from Indiana (whoops, make that Cincinnati Ohio :whistle: ). I don't know much about them now, but by the time this race is over, I'll probably know more about them than I need to know... :lol:
And that's one thing that has been great throughout these past events. Before, during, and after the racing, the comaderie that goes on always has people laughing throughout the event. And we always come away making new friends. And Team Cloverleaf is a great host, having plenty of food and drinks available at all times during the long event. We always anticipate going out to MI, and hate when it's time to leave.

Anyway...We'll be updating from here on as the week unfolds and keep you all up to date on how well things are going (or not going :shock: ). Once Mr Gingras gets on here and the race gets going, you're probably going to see all kinds of charts and data and who knows what else with him... :lol: And I hope Kurt will pop in here as well to keep you all up to date on how his team is doing. Maybe he can even tell you more about his team in the meantime (hint to Kurt).

So to start it off, I will be heading out tomorrow afternoon (yes-the store will be closed while I'm gone, but you can still place orders. I will ship them out when I get back next week). My lovely wife Robin will be riding out with me. We'll be staying at a friends house in Waterville NY Wed night, and finish the trip on Thursday. Friday will be nothing but practice, figuring out what car to use and getting it tuned in. Then it sounds like there will be an IROC race on Friday night on a new track that has just recently been built.

Yeah-a whole lotta fun coming this weekend :banana-rock:
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Re: Team SCC heading out to the Michigan 24 hour race!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:41 am

Allright, good luck guys!

Kurt is healing from some sporting event that apparently Louisville won :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby moparjenny » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:59 am

Can't wait to see you guys and Robin! Woo!
moparjenny
Cupcakes

Postby nhdungeonracer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:25 am

Oh...
That's right, I plumb forgot while writing above that we'd be seeing Miss Jenny again!! Sorry about that Jenny! Does this mean we'll get some of your famous cupcakes?! :D
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby ListerStormGT » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:40 am

Good luck guy's :handgestures-thumbup: :auto-checkeredflag:
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby redlynr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:43 am

I'm looking forward to seeing everybody friday! Always a great time!

sneak peak at new track...

redlynr
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cgingras » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:48 am

Dickie, you also forgot about the new team from the Cincinnati area. They will also try to tame this Clover Leaf track at this fast-paced 24-hour race. The Québec crew will be heading out on Thursday and we should get there around noon on Friday, after a quick nap in the Toronto area.

We'll try to keep you posted as frequently as possible, depending on the Internet connection we have there during the weekend. Between driving, marshalling, organizing, scoring, worrying, pitting, smiling, blinging, eating, laughing, sleeping, drinking and peeing duties (yep, that's a 24-hour race description for you!), we should be able to find some time to tell you how it's going. Maybe pictures too...

Can't wait to get there, this will be a blast again. In the meantime, here are some pictures from 2011 and 2012:

Michigan 24 - 2011:
Michigan 24 - 2012:
cgingras
SCC Mechanic

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:50 am

What a fantastic track. Bravo sir!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ElSecundo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 am

Yeah, Harry, just recovering from a basketball hangover. :)

Not much to add that El Dickie hasn't already said. I got a call maybe 5 or 6 months back from John (MobyDick), looking for a hired gun for this race. He wasn't really looking for speed, he was looking for anyone who would drive a long way for free food, and apparently I came highly recommended by the local Krispy Kreme.

As luck would have it, a few months later Jenny got this cool gig at Car and Driver, and moved to Michigan. She lives about 30 minutes from the track. The last time I was in Michigan, she chauffeured me to the track in her 'company car', a new supercharged Jaguar XF. On Friday, she will chauffeur me to the track in the latest company car, a Mercedes SL 550. It is a hard life, but I accept these trials.

I'll get to Michigan late Thursday, and we'll stop by C&D on Friday afternoon . I should make it to the track by 4 PM, maybe sooner. All my practice on the track so far consists of two heats on each lane, a total of 5 minutes, plus 10 minutes on the white lane, so it will be nice to get a little track time before the enduro starts. :)

Can't wait to see everybody again! Safe travels, SCC! :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby moparjenny » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:58 am

moparjenny
Cupcakes

Bling 101...

Postby SlotCarCorner » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:25 pm

As Dickie mentioned, this event is all about having a good time. During the first Michigan 24 in 2011, Team SCC introduced the other participants to "bling". Early on in the event, some of the other participants didn't quite know what to make of our bling but by the end of the event, everyone was having a good time with it. Last year several of the other teams got into the bling spirit and Team SCC once again raised (lowered?) the bar. This year we've been hard at work once again - we'll be sure to take some pictures and provide some bling updates along with the race coverage. Here are just a few examples of Team SCC's bling:

SCC Team Shoes

These are Reebok Ziggies custom made to our color specifications.

U.S. based members of team SCC have shoes that are yellow/black with "SCC" lettering on the heel.

Canada based members of team SCC have shoes that include a touch of red (sock liner, sole accents) with "SCCC" (Slot Car Corner Canada) lettering on the heel.

Wrist Watches

It's important to know what time it is at all times during one of these events. Unless you're Dickie. During the 2011 event, Dickie didn't realize his watch battery was dead so for the next several hours, anyone who asked Dickie what time it was would get "It's 8:15" as the response. Someone finally asked Dickie if his watch was broke - at this point, Dickie realized the battery had gone dead. Everyone had a good laugh and ever since this has become a standing joke. Whenever one of the participants asks what time it is, the standard answer is "It's 8:15...". This year Dickie's watch will have a fresh battery...

Controller Carry Cases

When traveling long distances to these events, we wanted to ensure the controllers were well protected. The solution was some yellow/black Nanuk carry cases which are screen printed with our logo.

More bling updates once we get to Michigan.

:banana-rock:
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby moparjenny » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:00 am

You guys need help. :lol:
moparjenny
Cupcakes

Postby SlotCarCorner » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:24 am

Hello Jenny,

Call me maybe...

:D
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby moparjenny » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:57 am

hahaha!

Is there an app that goes along with that? Christian might have that answer... ;)

See you guys in a couple days!
moparjenny
Cupcakes

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:10 am

Just classic.

I need it all. :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Next

Return to Slot Car Corner News Center