[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Home Racing World • View topic - P-BOP cars stop over for a little street racing!

P-BOP cars stop over for a little street racing!

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Re: P-BOP cars stop over for a little street racing!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:44 pm

Oh yes, and somebody better set out some rules for this before anyone gets carried away. I suggested the Piranha as a spec motor. Are we going to do all rat rods, or have different classes. I would love to do a Fiat Topolino altered, and if necessary I have another chunk of 2x4.
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:35 am

In kicking this around a bit at the track last night - there were some ideas brought up that I figured I would throw out for the group's thoughts as we look at developing thisl... :)

- definitely like the idea of a "spec motor"! The "Spec Drag" class that we have been playing with using the Womp chassis and ProSlot PS-4002FK motors (http://www.proslot.com/part.php?part=PS-4002FK) has been proving to be good entertainment and helps keep things inexpensive, fun and fairly equal as it puts a lot more focus into the choice of gearing, tire width, weight placement, reaction time, etc. :)
I think it may be worth Slot Therapist and I doing a little testing of potential motor "candidates" to make sure we have a motor that is spicy enough to make things interesting, but still be readily available/inexpensive (I like the suggestion of the Piranha motor - that may be just the ticket!).

- in the effort of consistency, we talked to the track owner and can hook up a harness that ties both lanes to the same controller - taking individual driver reaction times out of the picture (this is the next progression to what we did with the P-BOP cars where one driver held both controllers side by side and actuated the triggers together with one finger) ;)

- also the track at Mark's Model World is 55' plus shut down - which for 1/24 is a quarter mile - however for 1/32, this equates to a third mile run. Thinking about this brought up ideas of cars geared toward the look of salt flat speed run cars as a possible theme/class in addition to and/or as an alternate to the rat rat-rod class. Another twist that was brought up was the possibility of Gassers as a theme / class... :)
(everyone seemed to think a retro/vintage type theme with any of the above would look the coolest though - maybe putting a year cap on the body style of pre-64?)

- Finally, I was thinking any fun run should also have a concours portion to it as well. :)

Any way you cut it, I think it has the potential to be a great fun run event! And definitely open to everyone's thoughts on this!
:D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby btaylor » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:59 am

Guys, i am really pumped about this!, Of course being one of the potential body sources, i need to ramp up casting for this for sure!
The Bonneville side of this has got my blood pumping, as have been involved in land speed racing in the real world, and love it!
I am with Dave on the vintage side of things, but a front engined rail dragster in scale looking the part, would also be as cool as it gets.
just my opinion of course, but i am all on this idea for sure.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:49 am

Dave / Bob -
Definitely agree on the retro / builders angle for this - I think that is what will make this so cool!
I will look to start a new thread with "proposed" rules - but here is what I was thinking at this point...

I will look at testing a couple different motors at the track this next week to see which may work best for the potential class(es) - currently have and will be testing the following in a spare chassis:
- http://www.professormotor.com/product-p/ps-4002fk.htm
- http://cloverleafracing.com/product_inf ... cts_id=439
- http://www.slotcarcorner.com/1-32-Slot- ... p1438.html
- http://cloverleafracing.com/product_inf ... cts_id=447

On the classes - kicking around the following (again - input is DEFINITELY welcome) - with the focus being equal on both modeling and performance (but the performance being in the spirit of a fun run - not a cut throat competition) :)
- Salt Flats / Land Speed record type
- Pre '65 Hot Rod
- Pre '65 Gasser
- RatRod
- Sling Shot style (front motor, driver over/behind the rear tires) rails

With the requirements of:
- No lexan bodies/drivers
- Urethane/Rubber tires only
- Appropriate looking wheels / inserts
- scratch built brass / wire chassis encouraged - factory drag chassis not allowed
- Minimum of four functional/rotating tires
- .050" min ground clearance

Let me know what you guys think! :think:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:51 am

Oh - and for a little inspiration...

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby btaylor » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:01 am

I am in for at least three classes, and i vote piranha for at least one or two classes.all other rules look great to me!
now when can i start my builds???????
edit: 4 classes!

Bob
Last edited by btaylor on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:11 am

I like the idea of allowing drop arms! I think it would be cool to see some potential wheel standing action!

Also - in regard to the guides, For the two tracks that we are looking at so far (Mark's Model World, Route 93 Raceway) - commercial and/or wood depth slot guides will work fine - however, blade length is to be limited to 1" in length max (this is for the timing system)

Also something else I thought of - wheelie bars are also legal - however if they are used, they must have functional and appropriate looking wheels if used. (no skidder style due to potential track damage or "big" oversize / non-scale wheels from the modeling aspect )
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:29 am

:D I think I need a Willys body!

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:32 am

I think we should go Piranha for the drag classes and lightning for the LSR class. The Piranha has more grunt for quick of the line, and the Lightning can wind out on the longer run. Are the drags ending at a scale 1/4 mile and LSR going to the end of the track?

I started carving a Fiat Topolino for my Altered. I will post pics later tonight after I come home from racing at Luf's.

We need to start a new thread for this series.
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:36 am

That grey Willys is my kind of paint job. All I would need to do is spray the body with primer, eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:38 am

I'll be darned, i just happen to have bodies for ALL the classes! lucky me!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby btaylor » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:06 pm

I have a Dragonslot timing system not in use!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:25 pm

Keith -
Unfortunately, the timing system and associated sensors are all based around the 1/24 scale cars - so we will be running classes will be running the scale 1760 feet.

I have, and plan to test all four of the motors listed. I think both the ProSlot and the Plafit have both higher torque and rpm output respectively than the Lightning and Piranha and may be a better fit for the heavier resin/brass based cars - but I will be able to get a feel for that next Wednesday. :)

Looking forward to seeing the Fiat! Always loved the looks of those!

I'm working on getting a formal thread for this started in the mean time. :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:34 pm

The more tracks the better Dave!
(lightly twists arm...) ;)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:20 pm

Found this on the web. A list of drag strips. May be some other guys out there that would host.

http://www.oldweirdherald.com/?sm-category=drag
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!