[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Slot Car Corner '73 IROC Proxy - Builds & Usual Chatter

Slot Car Corner '73 IROC Proxy - Builds & Usual Chatter

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Re: First IROC series

Postby woodman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:32 pm

I remember that..It was awesome to see Indy drivers against Nascar drivers and Sprint car drivers...They did Mustangs one year and Camaros one year back in the 70's.......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... _Champions
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:44 pm

Exactly. I remember the first, and I think it was 1970 Camaro Z28's. I don't know what the Wikipedia writer was smokin'.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:01 am

I watched a few, but again stopped watching most racing years ago. I did love the Camaros, but really liked the Daytonas being a Mopar guy. The few I got to see were really fun races.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby buspor63 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:08 am

Several of the generations and races are on YouTube, thanks to the thread, I went and watched some ;-)
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cjent » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:47 am

That was a great series but very little sponsorship so it died. Would be fun to have a Digital IROC! At least six cars!
Cjent
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:15 am

We ran several IROCs when our slot car group was still together. They all went modern NASCAR and then went their separate ways, and the original group is down to two people, but in our heyday, we had Ninco GoKart IROC, Carrera vintage NASCAR, and several others. For my 3 lane track, I kept sets of identically prepared cars for guests, like Scalextric Indestructibles or whatever they were called, Greenwood Corvettes, and others in sets of three. Now I have a four lane, I'll have to make some more cars- THROW me in dat briar patch!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby studioRS » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:35 am

studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby studioRS » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:41 am

Now to find a way to get the inside tire to lift on the slot cars and we'll be all set.
Porsche num-num
Awesome thread, thank you :dance:

Cheers, Thompson
studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby studioRS » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:05 pm

Go Riverside, sounds fun to build! Yeah, no problem on the video, love to just hear watch anything Porsche 911.

Isn't that the case? Silly slot car manufacturers almost never build the body that you want to race. The closest is this Revell, but unfortunately in 1.25 scale

Fujimi makes a body too, 1/24 scale.

So, for our revered 1/32 scale, what to do???

Fly makes the Donahue RSR that ran in Daytona but sans whale tail, only has the duck tail. (Edit: unfortunately, this is a pre '74 long hood 911 and won't be correct, how did I miss that!)

Rather than getting all worked up and flustered at the same time to find a proper '74 911 Carrera RSR 3.0 body (no luck either), wouldn't it make more sense to find a relatively inexpensive body first (i.e. MRRC 911 white kit- $25) and then fashion a race series after that? I know that takes the wind out if it, but sure makes it easier to kit something together. From Audi1s reports, I'd rather start off with a Fly Porsche 911 RS style chassis / body than a MRRC chassis. The Fly has a wider track and just handles better. How exactly perfect does the 911 have to be to match the series (that's coming from me the scale police…), like who cares if it is a 934 impact bumper version 74 > 911 as long as it has the whale tail. Thoughts?
Last edited by studioRS on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby studioRS » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:14 pm

Of course, right after I post, my brain and fingers find something…

Absolutely beautiful, but scratch built and no way for me, too much work. We need something easy, low $. Just paint and decals and some chassis/tire tuning.

Go Ernesto!
http://erneslot.es/html-ing/p911iroc.html

Last edited by studioRS on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby studioRS » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:40 pm

studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby studioRS » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:21 pm

Viola!

Last edited by studioRS on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby studioRS » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:43 pm

Orange Donahue car is fully scratch built with lots of putty…

Edit; scratch the paper body idea.

What about a paper whale tail or molded out of plastic? This might be the hot ticket, very, very close to an RSR, just needs a whale tail. Powerslotcars.com shows 8 QTY in stock. How is the Ninco chassis? I'm sure it can be dropped with frizzing around with the springs. I've got a Ninco 934 and can give it a look.

http://www.powerslotcars.com/Ninco-5058 ... /50586.htm
studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby studioRS » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:58 am

The above Ninco Porsche 934 body looks to be the closest rendition that will work for building an RSR 3.0L IROC. It checks all the boxes and will be the least work involved making it an IROC. Ok, so I'm holding out, I'll build a master and send it off to you David to cast. :clap: My feeling is, if we build it, they will come.

Pros
- First off it is a short hood, impact bumper (1974>) version body.
- Ninco nailed the flares, front and rear, they are the closest.
- The Fuchs are proper with the wider 10-11" look versions in the rear.
- Eight showing available at powerslotcars.com (well, ok now only 7 available :banana-dance: )
- Sans duck tail, so I can build a proper RSR wider style whale tail.

Cons
- Ninco chassis? I haven't run my Ninco 934 rally spec yet, but from what others have said they are good out of the box. Not as much work required as the Fly chassis needs. I'd say we stick to this and come up with a light mod plan set of rules.
- The lower front bumper looks to be the most work involved with moving it back (strangely out of place and moved forward).
- Needs slight flares to be added to the front of each fender down at the front.
(thank goodness Ernesto has already been through this scratch building pain, good ref.)
- Rubber bumper parts delete on front and rear.
- Lighten the cockpit, remove co-pilot.
- Tires are too fat, need to be thinner and match the look of the orange Ernesto scratch build above. Tire selection is out of my realm, but I'm open to what ever "looks" correct and at the same time offers improvements.

So, to recap I'm willing to buy this Ninco 934 and chop it all to bits, wiggle my magic wand and make a proper 3.0 Litre RSR IROC master body to get this started. Boom! There. Went from 0-60 in five posts. Go out and start buying your Ninco 934 rally chassis pronto!

Next stumbling block will be who gets what color and driver :think:

Cheers, Thompson
studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:14 am

Here's some info on the Ninco 911/934 cars. Looks like they all had suspension chassis' and one model had a different diameter wheel set.

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.p ... opic=73995
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!