HRW 1/32 "Sportsman Showdown"

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Re: HRW 1/32 "Sportsman Showdown"

Postby turbokev » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:40 pm

Is your torch adjustable? You can turn it down and get more localized heat..
That said, if you hold it in one spot too long you can have the heat travel far enough to
melt other stuff you've already done (I know this from personal experience LOL)

Just takes practice.. I'm on chassis #3 and it's getting easier and easier to do~

BTW.. Car looks great 8-)
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks Kev.
I'm pleased with the way the paint finish came out after my big mistake. Used the only masking tape I had at the house which was blue painters tape. Not sure if it was because I left it on to long or what. When I took it off I had a nice glue print on both sides of the car. I didn't think to first wash it in warm water and soap. So after using polishing compound and wet sanding it looked a mess. Then something said to me after reading a painting tutorial wash wash wash. So I washed it an all that tape glue came off where the sanding and polish just smeared it around. Oh liquid polish did a better job than the can type. It really got it off but darkened the light blue on the sides where the dark blue is. But it looks alright. Fenders and doors are slightly darker than the hood and deck.

As for the soldering I'm just going to go slow and start over. I may be able to salvage one main rail and the guide tonge. Front axle is still attached to the guide tongue but the second cross member has unattached. Burnt up the other main rail pretty good trying to get the solder off of it. I just wish I could find this stuff local. But I did order some more brass last week. I think I'll be able to get one chassis out of this if I only have 1 re-do.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:34 pm

Looks like my Mustang is at least in the right neck of the woods! Here was the latest update...

Your item departed our USPS facility in SPRINGFIELD, MO 65801 on January 23, 2015 at 6:37 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Go-baby go! :auto-layrubber:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:27 pm

No cars today. Hopefully tomorrow.

Will check tomorrow, but then the fun will have to begin. HRWJIM, Dixon John, and Razor Jon will be here for a day full of racing and Chili :)

Any cars that arrive tomorrow in the AM will get time trialed quickly. Then we will start the show.

High NOON as planned. Stay tuned for the Ustream link.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:50 pm

Woohoo! The "Chili Bowl" Sportsman Showdown, eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have fun!

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby turbokev » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:01 pm

:(

Tracking says it was supposed to be delivered today.. but it hasn't even been scanned since it left NH..

I will not be happy at all if the USPS lost my Torino.
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:13 pm

I hope the best Kev.

I will run the late arrivals Monday or Tuesday...Solo of course, but hopefully it makes it.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby turbokev » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 am

Well there is hope.. My car was scanned though KC, MO this am at 1:20am
Hopefully it will be in your PO box later this morning~
At least it isn't lost :mrgreen:
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pastor bubba » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:15 am

I'm glad they found it. When my daughter's car was totaled, I had to send the title to the yard where they took the car before they would give me a check. The problem is that they gave me the wrong address in Wichita. It sat somewhere down there for over a week. Wichita is only an hour south of us.
pastor bubba
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:42 pm

Just got home from a great day of racing, thanks Harry and Cindy for all the great food and fun, as usual perfect hosts

To all you builders:

You old pros, some of the best cars I have had the pleasure to race, we did not hold back cause they was pretty :music-rockout:

To you first timers, great job gang, not a stinker in the bunch, as you can tell the lap times was close you all should be proud

Its going to tough for me to pick the best in show, they are all winners

My best crash was with Jim, he was driving my Ford and I had his Chevy our Tires hooked up and flipped that Ford end for end

Thank you all for giving me a chance to play with your toys
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby arroldn » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:56 pm

Car dropped at post office tonight should be there Tuesday. No test and tune but it did make it around the track. Learned a lot on this build.

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HRWJim » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:32 pm

Well first I would like to thank Harry for letting me be a part of this it was blast. Never thought I would enjoy it as much as I did. We normally race for fun but the one minute heats really added to it. Second I would like to thank all the builders for taking the time and expense to create the cars. All were truely fun to drive and although many different approaches, were quite close. We had a blast racing together although that meant that Harry could not take any pics but I know he enjoyed himself too. Sadly I will miss the couple cars that are arriving late but I would say that this will not be the last, with the fun we had. Lastly I just want to thank SCC for the deal they gave us and for the great service. Can't wait for the next one and hope I get an invite. Jim
PS Cindy thanks for putting up with us and for the embroidered gifts. :lol:
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:50 pm

Wouldn't you just know it? I finally apologized and gave up on ever having uninterrupted time to finish my build with all the stomping out wildfires around here for the last few months, and today, the day the cars were actually running on Ustream, I had the entire afternoon to myself in the shop. I could have locked the doors and no one would have noticed. Of course, the car is finished and runs smooth and fast and would have made me proud. Well, except for that carb and mesh screen that keeps falling off... fast, I tell ya.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby DixonJohn » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:01 pm

To all the folks who entered this showdown KUDO's!!! It was a real blast and honor to be able to drive all of the cars. To the old pro's as always, your builds were over the top. For the newer builders all I can say is WOW!!! You all did a great job on the cars. I'm looking forward to the next one. Shoot, I may even have one ready for the event.
Thanks to all the suppliers for the wonderful bodies and parts tomake these cars what they are. Thanks to Harry and Cindy for opening up there home for usto come play.
See ya all next time :D :D :D
DixonJohn
"The Mayor"

Postby arroldn » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:59 am

Harry,
Your item departed our USPS facility in KANSAS CITY, KS 66106 on January 26, 2015 at 6:14 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
So you should have it tomorrow. Hopefully it will run respectfully.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!